Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry National 2011

• 31-08-2011 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭

Blazing Tempo near the top of the weights after winning the Galway Plate in July.

Two I'm drawn to initially are Aigle D'Or who ran 3rd to Blazing Tempo at Galway for Nicky Henderson. The other is Adams Island who's been transferred from Rebecca Curtis to Paul Nolan. He's a very decent horse as many of these are and he's remarkably consistent, finishing in the first 3 in 9 of 12 career starts. The last time he failed to make the frame he started 4/1 clear favorite at Ffos Las and finished 92l 9th of 11. Obviously not what was expected.

Gotta look at the race much closer in the next week or so but would like to hear your opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Dr.Whizz at 25/1 and Scotsirish at 25/1 would be my e/w's atm, not a fan of picking this early tbh when the horses are declared.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Dr Whizz is out to 33/1 with Boyles. Will he stay the 3m in soft ground though? I'm tempted by him. Another one is Lenabane, Dessie Hughes doesn't have many running in this, only 2 in the last 10 years I think. He finished 2nd in it in 08 and 7th last year.

I've taken Dr. Whizz ew @ 33s and Lenabane on the nose at 20s. Missed the price on Adams Island who is in new ownership and with Paul Nolan. He has a 7lbs claimer on board as well, would love to have taken the 14s when I started this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Does anyone else think Fosters Cross is good value at 16/1 ?

Legend has Kerry National stamina doubts
    Tuesday 13 September 2011

Trainer Charles Byrnes says his Kerry National hopeful Bideford Legend must prove his stamina

The seven-year-old bolted up at Killarney on his latest chase outing in May and has twice run with credit over hurdles since then.

Byrnes feels his leading contender would be better suited by a quicker surface for this valuable handicap, but believes he is capable of making his presence felt if the three miles proves within reach.

"He's run well enough over hurdles the last twice and hopefully he goes there with a chance," said the County Limerick handler.

"His best form is probably on a bit faster ground, but he's run well in soft before so I don't think that will be a problem.

"The big question with him is whether he will stay the three miles.

"He's in good form and if he stays he should run well, but it's a competitive race."

Byrnes trained Alfa Beat to win the race 12 months ago and the grey is back for more for new trainer Shark Hanlon.

He said: "He's in really super form and the only worry with him would be the ground, as he wouldn't want it too soft.

"Having said that, the ground is drying out all the time and if it continues that way then it should be all right.

"Barry (Geraghty) came and rode him the other morning and was very happy, so hopefully we go there with a serious shout."

Ponmeoath won the race in 2007 and 2008 for Eric McNamara, but the trainer is not confident of the veteran completing a hat-trick.

"He's in great form and he always seems to come to life at this time of year, but I'd say he's a bit high in the handicap now he's an 11-year-old," said McNamara.

"He's probably not as good as he was and he's probably high enough in the weights for what he is nowadays, but it's great to have him back at Listowel.

"If he could finish in the first five or six, we'd be delighted."

Adams Island is a relatively new acquisition for Paul Nolan having shown some smart form last season for Rebecca Curtis. The County Wexford handler hopes to learn more about the seven-year-old at Listowel.

"I'll be going there hoping he'll run a respectable race," he said.

"Rebecca Curtis did a good job with the horse in Wales and we just want to find out if he can be effective off a mark of 133.

"He seems a relentless galloper in his work and he will probably improve for the run."

The sole British raider is Charlie Longsdon's Minella Boys, having his first run since pulling up in the Eider Chase at Newcastle back in February.

"I'm hoping the ground will be nice and soft and everything is good with him," said the Oxfordshire handler.

"He's had a good break and he's fit and well, so he should run a good race if the ground stays soft."

http://www.rte.ie/sport/racing/2011/0913/byrnesc.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

I'm going for Ballyholland to win and a small e/w bet on Alpha Beat

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭mountai

Ive taken 8s about Bideford Legend. Byrnes stable is in good form .Bit of a concern that D Russell is"nt on board .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Dr.Whizz at 25/1 and Scotsirish at 25/1 would be my e/w's atm, not a fan of picking this early tbh when the horses are declared.

Knew I should have got on Dr.Whizz last night, 33/1 into 12's today!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

backed muirhead e/w, but he's a non-runner now, so gone for Uncle junior instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Had a small interest in this Fosters Cross €5 ew at 14/1, then Bet365 were good enough to give me a €5 loyalty bonus so I stuck €2.50 ew on Alfa Beat @ 14/1 obviously he won at 20/1 so I got best priced too.

Is it just me or do free bet wins taste sweeter than normal bets :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Wonder why the previous connections sold the winner after the year they had with him? €75k seems cheap now for the new owner, he has a free horse for a while now after the Kerry pot. They say Aintree is his target.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

finbarrk wrote: »
    Wonder why the previous connections sold the winner after the year they had with him? €75k seems cheap now for the new owner, he has a free horse for a while now after the Kerry pot. They say Aintree is his target.
    It was GBP£75k in the sales back in May.

Prize money on Wednesday €96k.

Advertisement