Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me an album/Name an album.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Queen is Dead by the Smiths would be another strong contender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I'd only ever heard of LCD soundsystem two days ago, but I'm sorely tempted to buy their album if it's up to the standard of the two tracks I heard.

I haven't bought the new album yet but Sounds of Silver is a brilliant album. The depth of it surprised me when I first got it as I'd only really thought of LCD as a moderately entertaining dance act before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

Nearly every Beatles album

The rolling stones records from 68 to 72

Led zepplin 1,2,3 and 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cinnamon girl

I think everyone missed where the OP said bands today.

Hello Moon and The Soft City are two that come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Lou Reed - Transformer
    The Who - Who's Next
    The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
    David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Led zepplin 1,2,3 and 4

Nearly flawless... entirely!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭fincollins

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
    Pearl Jam - Ten
    Redneck Manifesto - Thirty Six Strings
    Waiting Room - Catering for headphones

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Well that's certainly going back a bit!

The Stone Roses (21 years old, yikes!) qualifies by dint of Elizabeth My Dear being too short to bother reaching for the 'Next' button :D

I'd be more interested to know if younger listeners these days still have (new release) albums that they love from tip to toe.

youngsters don't listen to albums mate, the cherrypick individual tracks...the era of the album is coming to an end (Re. Ash)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Maybe he meant he wanted the advice today :D
    In which case, a day late, Grandaddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Definitely agree with previous posters, PJ - Ten and Nirvana - Nevermind are faultless.

Could also throw:

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Recent albums (last year or two) I like every song on and can listen to without skipping a track would be:
    Passion Pit - Manners
    Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion (This took a while to grow on me but love it now)
    Friendly Fires - Friendly Fires

It's an interesting topic. I wonder do bands themselves think every song on an album is good? Or do they know some are filler but due to deadlines/writers block/whatever other reason they just say "Ya that'll have to do"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

You always here people saying "It's a grower"

What albums did people not really think were great when they first listened to it but loved it after a few listens.

Mine would have to be Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavilion. Liked My Girls the first time I heard it and downloaded the album on the strength of it. Didn't think much of the album on first listen but love it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shoota

Grace by Jeff Bucley, took me about three listens...........

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

White Lies, Hurts and Doves are worth looking up.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

I totally forgot:

the boo radleys - giant steps and everything's alright forever.

Learning to walk would be, if you skip the first track.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    It's an interesting topic. I wonder do bands themselves think every song on an album is good? Or do they know some are filler but due to deadlines/writers block/whatever other reason they just say "Ya that'll have to do"?

FWIW I can tell you for a fact that bands are aware of their less than spectacular material.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Violent Femmes debut album, kept thrashing it when a mate made me listen to it - now I can't stop listening to it

exioot wrote: »
    Violent Femmes debut album, kept thrashing it when a mate made me listen to it - now I can't stop listening to it
    Excellent idea for a thread. One that immediatly springs to mind is High Violet by the National. And Seldom Seen Kid by Elbow as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Feels bizarre to think about it now, but I didn't get LCD Soundsystem's Sound of Silver at all the first few times I heard it. Wasn't until I heard it on at a party that it clicked, which seems appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Spoonman??

I quite like that song...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

Didn't see anyone mention Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction, pretty much perfect from start to finish.

also:
    hendrix - are you experienced?
    sex pistols - nevermind the bollocks
    hole - live through this
    alice in chains - dirt
    white stripes - elephant
    system of a down - mezmerize
    motley crue - saints of los angeles

and the controversial pick: green day - american idiot

that's just a quick glance at the cd's on the shelf in front of me

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

Supergrass - In it for the money :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Just thinking about this today, listening to Badly Drawn Boys "Born In The UK", didnt really do anything for me for ages, but recently I've started to love it, probably my fave BDB album at this point.

White Lies, Hurts and Doves are worth looking up.
    The Doves most definitely. Probably one of the most under rated bands around.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Besides the deep singing voice there's not really much there that puts them in league with Joy Division.

Also spiritoftheseventies said they draw on The Smiths, no that they were like them.

Being influenced by a group and sounding like them are too very different things.

For instance, Alex Chilton influenced REM but I'd never mistake an REM track for a Big Star track.

More than just the voice though. Songs like Lit Up have a very significant Joy Division sound to them

But yeah, take your point on difference between influenced by and sounding like a band.

monkey9 wrote: »
    More than just the voice though. Songs like Lit Up have a very significant Joy Division sound to them

But yeah, take your point on difference between influenced by and sounding like a band.
    Dont even see the voice comparison to be fair. A lot of influences there. Great album regardless Monkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Sigur Ros - ()

Pure bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

Boxer...

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Dream Theater - Train of Thought, Black Clouds and Silver Linings & Images and Words
    Biffy Clyro - The Vertigo of Bliss & Only Revolutions
    Trivium - Ascendancy
    The Fall of Troy - Phantom on the Horizon
    Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster
    Radiohead - OK Computer

All fantastic albums from start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Ok from talking to Jeff Lebowski, we're going to try this for a while, instead of starting a new thread asking for some new music, this one is to be used.

This will hopefully encompass people looking for:

I like 'band x' recommend something similar.

Recommend me an album with no filler.

Name an album with no filler/Name an album that grew on you.

Basically all that really happens is people list there favourite albums, we're hoping this will put all queries in one thread and generate more discussion and less of band lists.

Feed back appreciated but do it by pm, thanks.

Advertisement