Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wind coming down chimney

• 25-01-2012 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.
    My mother has an oil fired stove. She has a cowl on the chimney but the wind is coming down the chimney and howling, it's also blowing the flame of the fire. It's much worse if the wind is bad. She's had to stop using the fire if it's anyway windy now.
    Any suggestions please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

This isn't a solution to her problem, but if she does decide to totally decomission the stove, you should consider this: http://www.electricirelandstore.ie/Product/Chimney-Balloon/1152/605

I actually bought one for my sitting-room fireplace (we *never* use the fire) because we had the same issue: noise & cold. However, you can actually detach these balloons temporarily and reattach when finished. Probably not suitable for an actual stove though since you'd be doing that practically every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭heated

There are many different design of ant-down draught cowl on the market. I understand that a "H" Cowl works paticularily well for the type of situation you describe. These are available from among others, MI Flues in Co. Meath. www.miflues.ie
    You should check with the stove manufacturer about suitability before making any alteration.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 biggs2010

hi all,

has anyone used or heard of the following?

Chimney Draught Stop
    OR
    Chimney Closure?

These seem to be on the market a couple of years. Im thinking of buying either one of them but not sure which is the best if any!!

Anyone got any views on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭nemo32

WetDaddy wrote: »
    This isn't a solution to her problem, but if she does decide to totally decomission the stove, you should consider this: http://www.electricirelandstore.ie/Product/Chimney-Balloon/1152/605

I actually bought one for my sitting-room fireplace (we *never* use the fire) because we had the same issue: noise & cold. However, you can actually detach these balloons temporarily and reattach when finished. Probably not suitable for an actual stove though since you'd be doing that practically every day.

Hi, Just moved into a new house and the noise coming down the chimney is unbearable. Do you still use this balloon? Does it stop the noise or can you still hear the balloon being hit by the wind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Yep - I still use the balloon. In fact, I've never taken it down since I put it up (we don't use the fireplace at all). It hasn't deflated and it still stops both the wind and the noise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement