Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Is there any wiki page so i can read the story?

cheers

Here you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

a672b799e8ee40f196c65aca38a1e55d_large.jpg

there is a terrible war in Mexico with the drug cartels. this was taken from ONE drug lord's house and burned to the ground. apparenly its 207 MILLION dollars

drugwar.jpg?1265011432

this is the SOME of the amount travelling north and leaving a path of utter destruction in its wake. Entire villages are threatened by the cartels. Mexican government has lost control. one reputed drug lord is shipping a ton of cocaine a month to the US. The violence is now spilling over the border into th USA. There are parts of Arizona, Texas and increasing parts of California that the US government has abandoned the rule of law due to the dangers. You travel at your own risk.
    this reports says it all on one days violence related to drugs...
    'According to El Universal, more than a third of the 69 Mexicans killed between Friday and Saturday died in Ciudad Juárez just over the border from the Texas city of El Paso. Several were beheaded, but the toll did not include the victim discovered early on Friday whose face had been stitched on to a football.'

warning+sign+2.jpg

1_61_320_041610_greta_sheriff.jpg

0.jpg

In March, a rancher was shot and killed which has upped the ante.

mmen.jpg

this has lead to the creation of civilian groups. Like the long established Minutemen, there are civilians now creating patrols to defend the border and the accusations of racism by immigration groups. Far away in Washington with politics mixed in, the reality of the border is lost.

mexican_cartels_web_463_331.gif

what the cartels 'own' and the creation of a narco state

oakesr6.jpg

the face of human trafficking....murder and rape is common as people flee north

mexican-drug-cartel-soldiers.jpg

the simple fact is the drug cartels are better armed in many cases than the mexican military.

i was going to link to some of the photos...but quite honestly they are too disturbing. some of the gangs are using mutilation as a weapon. the most recent ones have regressed to using hammers. decapitation is the order of the day frequently with limbs removed to hinder identification. search at your own risk.

mexican-dead-hands.png

the tied hands of people murdered by drug cartels...

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED>....NSFW.. the bloody path to drugs
    http://julydogs.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/lafamilia.jpg?w=380&h=280

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Sergey Prokudin-Gorsky in a picture from 1912.

p87-7001.jpg

He was a pioneer of color photography, and you can see why. What he would do is take three different pictures of the same thing, each with a different filter: Red, Green & Blue. The pictures he got are amazing.

Keep in mind that these are 100 years old.

Prokudin-Gorskii-09-edit2.jpg

prokudin-gorskii-3.jpg

foto3.jpg

Link to the story plus many more pictures
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Prokudin-Gorsky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

well if we are posting pioneeers of colour photography....
    Albert Kahn was a fellow pioneer of colour photography and even visited Ireland.

a similar photographer is Albert Kahn
    he travelled through europe and used the same method of layering photos. He also went to asia, africa, middle east, balkans and americas and financed other photograpers as he was a wealthy banker until he lost it all in the 1930's in the wall street crash.

Between 1909 and 1931 they collected 72,000 colour photographs and 183,000 meters of film. These form a unique historical record of 50 countries, known as "The Archives of the Planet".
    A couple of photos

Ireland
    Ireland_2.jpg
    Irish Woman
    Ireland_1.jpg
    Switzerland
    Switzerland.jpg
    Bulgaria
    Bulgaria.jpg
    WW I Somme
    WW1_2.JPG
    WW I Plane
    WW1_3.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭beanie.

British woman Jennifer Mills-Westley is attacked and beheaded in a supermarket in Tenerife.

tumblr_ll5bsvpGpu1qajllro1_500.jpg

article-1305391272662-0C0C910600000578-871697_466x310.jpg

Jennifer-Mills-Westley-310x415.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭beanie.

IMF chief and likely candidate in the French presidential election is arrested in New York for sex assault.

Dominique-Strauss-Kahn.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

More Albert Kahn, some taken as early as 1909 when he began his project.

Cambodia
    Cambodia-714625.jpg

More of Ireland

all photos in Ireland were taken in 1913
    Two fishermen characteristic of the west coast, gentle, pleasant and hardened to poverty. They love Ireland with a passion, I would say, with lyricism as they all speak poetically. But what surprises most is their openness and their great interest in everything. The boy is dressed in a skirt which is common in the region for all boys up to the age of 12.
    WestCoastIreland1913-731531.jpg

irish%2Bwoman.jpg

GetImage.aspx?id=80595e90-85ae-4b28-9e03-00fe920ed8bd&width=160&height=342

China
    arts-graphics-2007_1177766a.jpg

English
    link

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭furiousox

Belgian cyclist Wouter Weylandt who died after crashing during Monday's third stage of the Giro d'Italia.
    Weylandt, whose girlfriend is pregnant, moved to the Leopard-Trek team at the start of the season after turning professional with Quick Step in 2005.
    RIP.

Weylandt-Wouter.jpg

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYkDiby-tuM_rViLXfagtA4UBffF-XRFwZSO7P75iXYUZ72Jj_

The day Andy Irons(world famous surfer) died definitely shocked the world's surfing community. He had withdrawn from a competition and was found dead in a hotel room the following morning on november 2nd. His wife was 7 months pregnant at the time.

James Zwerg after being attacked by a Mob for supporting Civil Rights.

t1larg.zwerg.corbis.jpg

"The Greyhound bus doors hissed open. Zwerg had volunteered to go first. The mob swarmed him as he stepped off the bus, yelling, "****** lover! ****** lover!"

Then, as the mob grabbed him, Zwerg closed his eyes and bowed his head to pray. "The Lord is my light and salvation, of whom shall I fear ... "

The mob dragged him away.

What happened next would furnish the civil rights movement with one of its most unforgettable images.

Photographers eventually broke through and snapped pictures of what the mob had done to Zwerg and another Freedom Rider, John Lewis. The pictures were broadcast around the world."

JohnLewis3.jpg

CNN Story on the attack:
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/16/Zwerg.freedom.rides/index.html?hpt=C1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

This is a thread on photos that shook the world, not sad things that have happened. Random photos of people who happened to have died, shouldn't be on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Queen Elizabeth II lays a wreath in the Garden of Remeberance in Dublin.
    It's the first visit to Ireland by a British Monarch since Irish Independence.

QEwreath.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

159373.jpg

159374.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭ Beau Bitter Drop

Blisterman wrote: »
    This is a thread on photos that shook the world, not sad things that have happened. Random photos of people who happened to have died, shouldn't be on here.

In the future, if you have any issues with pictures posted here please report the posts rather than derail the thread with your complaint. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Gator wrote: »
    hanging-kitty.jpg

by far the worst thing I have ever seen on the internet....worst then any beheading etc.

Cannot believe what they did, watched the video and lasted 35 seconds before I nearly puked....

Honest to god...the worst thing I ever seen.....I really wish I could unsee this

I saw this video last year, it was the worst mistake ever. Like the other poster i wish i could unsee this. I can read and watch things and never be affected in any way but this is the most disturbing video ever to be on the net. I couldnt sleep or eat for days after it ..........horrific!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

newmug wrote: »
    Not sure if this was done yet, but this picture always stirs emotion in me:

http://d284656.u38.hosting.digiweb.ie/img/2008/11/16/columnists/paul-williams/jerry-mc-cabe.jpg

jerry-mc-cabe.jpg

There's something very heroic about this photo of that handsome, honourable, patriotic Irishman, detective Garda Jerry McCabe. He bravely sacrificed the only possesion that was truly his for the sake of us Irish people. Even in death he looks like a leader, ready, clean and upright. You will never be dead to Ireland Jerry, RIP

i think its shocking to be honest, and that rag posting it:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

Not shaking the world, but flooding it.

s_m01_14381413.jpg

Great series of new pictures. http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/05/mississippi-floodwaters-roll-south/100069/

^^ I'm delighted for the home owner. I was watching american news last week showing them building such defenses. #Winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    ^^ I'm delighted for the home owner. I was watching american news last week showing them building such defenses. #Winning.

I'd say construction of the mound alone is worth 3/4 times the house TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Its their home, it has a different kind of value. Also I'd imagine it was done for the cost of running the machinery, looks like a farmhouse to me.

• Advertisement

Why not put the house on top of a little man made hill? Way more secure and it'll be there for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Why not put the house on top of a little man made hill? Way more secure and it'll be there for ever.

Cause the house is, you know, already built somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

qz wrote: »

You do realise that in the US there is such a thing as moving houses and I mean literally moving it. The way most of their houses are built they can lift them off the foundation and move them by crane and flatbed :D:D

qz wrote: »

I explain it to you because you because you seem to be having a little difficulty understanding

Instead of building a huge bank around the house why not build a little hill or raise the entire garden up about 12 feet and place the house on top of it.

That way the home owner need not worry about future floods and it would also be farrrrr safer than those banks - one breach and the house is flooded.

Lifting wooden houses is very achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Gator wrote: »
    hanging-kitty.jpg

by far the worst thing I have ever seen on the internet....worst then any beheading etc.

Cannot believe what they did, watched the video and lasted 35 seconds before I nearly puked....

Honest to god...the worst thing I ever seen.....I really wish I could unsee this

Gotta be honest, the video barely phased me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Queen Elizabeth II lays a wreath in the Garden of Remeberance in Dublin.
    It's the first visit to Ireland by a British Monarch since Irish Independence.

Love getting my news on "Photos That Shook The World"...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I explain it to you because you because you seem to be having a little difficulty understanding

Meeeeeeeooooooowww!

Love getting my news on "Photos That Shook The World"...

Your welcome. (not sure if serious)

I wrote that wee bit because I was thinkin about people who might see it in a few years and think 'WTF is this'?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

http://everyday-i-show.livejournal.com/45132.html

I am not going to post any of the photos - they are a good few there. . An eclectic collection of black & white photos from the 20th Century - some of them would be definite additions to this thread.

Well worth looking through.

EDIT: OK I lied - I have to post this one.

4181554346_35f9eea741_o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Console

maiden wrote: »
    I saw this video last year, it was the worst mistake ever. Like the other poster i wish i could unsee this. I can read and watch things and never be affected in any way but this is the most disturbing video ever to be on the net. I couldnt sleep or eat for days after it ..........horrific!!

Just now, I came across a seemingly normal site just giving information about that picture shown in this tread. It linked to the video. Jesus... thats messed up. Only watched ten secs and switched it off. For anyone wondering what its all about. Dont bother finding out any info and dont even think about looking at the video.

There is some evil in this world.

Advertisement