Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards website very slow

• 13-10-2008 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi,

I'm relatively new to boards.ie. It's a good service, but I have to say that the pages take an age to load, regardless of what thread I'm in.

It's not my broadband connection, laptop or web browser. All other sites I visit (...including forums similar to boards.ie...) are fine.

What's going on? :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Today?

Doesn't seem that slow at all to me. What county are you in?

It goes through the odd patch, but it hasn't been exceptionally slow for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 paul8f

I'm from Co Cork and have a 1Mb broadband connection with Eircom. The laptop is only a year old and never had any virus problems.

Using Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 (..version 7.0.6001.18000 to be exact..). Maybe it's a web browser add-on issue. But as far as I know I have the latest versions of Java, Flash, MSXML, Shockwave, MS Silverlight. I also have the latest updates for Vista and Norton Anti-virus.

Pages on boards take aprox 20 seconds to load (including hitting the Back arrow in the browser), whereas all other sites take about 4 seconds. It's been like this since I first joined boards.

...Just tried boards.ie on the older home PC (which has the same OS & browser as laptop), and it took on average 5 seconds to load pages !!

Why is the problem only my laptop, and why is it only when I view boards.ie on it that the problem happens?

Help...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 paul8f

Up to now I was using Norton 360 (Internet security/Anti-virus) v1.0

I downloaded and installed Norton 360 v2.0 (didn't have to pay as it's a free upgrade).

Now boards.ie works fine. Forum pages take the usual 3 - 5 seconds per page load. The frustration is over :). Must have been a registry or cache problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Indeed, pages on boards can be quite heavy in terms of links and scripts and the like. If the Norton AV engine was inefficient, it may have taken it a while to scan all of the various objects on a page before it could be rendered.

Useful to know :)

Advertisement