Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Switch - VLANs ,DHCP and Default Gateway

• 09-08-2012 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Hello,
    Working on a project and i need your advise:

I have 20 Wireless Access point devices with cca 30 mobile clients on each WAP
    I want to create a VLAN dedicated to each WAP.
    I need to create a unique IP address network range
    No communication Layer2 or Layer3 between VLANs.
    I need ALL WAPs to have static IP address ,based on VLAN assignment
    I need ALL WAPs clients to get DNS and DG as well,via DHCP running on a Server 2008.
    Same DG for all VLANs and WAP and Wireless clients
    A single DG on a dedicated xDSL router

What i'm doing so far:

-set static IP addresses for each WAP
    -get WAP IP network same as VLAN IDs:WAP10 in VLAN10 has x.x.10.254
    -set IP network same as VLAN/WAP in x.x.10.0/24
    -get a switch with Layer 3 static IPv4 routing
    -get all VLANs configured associated with various ports
    -enable IP helper,forward to Server 2008 IP for DHCP traffic
    -configure various DHCP scopes on Server 2008,based on IP address requester
    -enable a default gateway in IP Routing table,on switch ,to router's IP address

Questions:
    -the router needs connected to a port that is member of all VLANs or that is L3 routing job??
    -do i really need a switch Layer 3 to do it ?
    -if i enable DHCP server on a switch,does that eats lot of resources off switch CPU / RAM ?
    -can i do a "IP routing table" Layer 2 VLANs to DG' router without too much of a Layer 3 switch functions ?
    -sen advertised Layer 4 switches...what's the difference between L3 and L4 ?

Does that makes sense !?

The one i look at comes at around €1500.

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Not sure what your budget is but I just deployed something similar but it cost something in the region of €40k just for the wireless kit. That's a pretty big project you are taking on. Maybe you might need to use pvlans for that setup. Would recommend using enterprise wireless equipment for this though or it will be a nightmare to manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I think he has the WAPs but is looking to choose a router or L3 switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Thanks...

Got all the WAPs in place.Using UniFi WAPs ,with a dedicated PC as a controller.

Just looking at options re the switch.
    Found an HP L3 and another HP L4 and wondering what is the difference between them...

I reckon i'll go for this one:
    HP A5120-48G EI Switch - Switch - L4 - Managed - 48 x 10/100/1000 + 4 x SFP - rack-mountable

Ports: 48 x 10/100/1000 + 4 x SFP
    Routing Protocol: Static IPv4 routing, static IPv6 routing
    Features: Flow control, routing, Layer 3 switching, Layer 2 switching, DHCP support, ARP support, VLAN support, auto-uplink (auto MDI/MDI-X), IGMP snooping, sFlow, Access Control List (ACL) support, Quality of Service (QoS), Committed Access Rate (CAR), Jumbo Frame
    RAM: 128 MB - SDRAM
    Flash Memory: 16 MB Flash
    Manufacturer Warranty: Limited lifetime warranty

Any opinions !?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement