Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in Catalonia

• 24-01-2011 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone on boards has done any cycling in the catalonia area of spain, i am heading to Sant feliu de guixols for a few weeks and was hoping to fit in as much cycling as possible when there, so if anybody can recommend any routes it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Apologies posted in the cycling adverts by mistake.Could a mod please move to main cycling forum.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

Great place to be for cycling. The coast road south of st feliu de g was used in the 2009 tour de France and often in the tour of catalunya. North of you make your way along the coast for a dip in aiguablava, some great climbing around fornells and begur. Lance Armstrong hill in Girona is worth a cut and only about 40k away. If you're prepared to go further you could cycle to banyoles and do the volcano loop. Rocacorba, a 13km recently paved route to a telephone mast, average 8% could be thrown in for cruelty.
    Rental cars and rental mopeds are a nuisance on the coast in summer. Was hit by a moped in 2009 doing the tour de France route near a place called tossa de mar. Locals really love cycling and give you tons of space. Inland the roads are excellent and pretty deserted. Stay off any motorways obviously, blue signs, but all motorways have parallel local access roads which are great and safe and quiet.
    To the north they run a few cyclosportives and if you have a car it might be worth heading to catalunya-nord and cycling in the pyranees. Col d'Ares on the french border north of Olot is my favourite climb of anywhere I've ever cycled.
    Map my ride has all the routes I used.
    Most towns have cycling shops so you're never stuck for a tube either.
    You'll have a blast. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

I agree with buzzingnoise, stay away from the coast. In land has some of the best cycling in the world with a mix of flat, hilly and mountains, something for everybody's taste. The roads are great, no potholes and the drivers are very courteous to cyclists. The weather is great for winter training, late Feb average is 17c for afternoons. If you are there in March be sure to catch a stage of the Vuelta a Catalonia, it's Pro Tour but there is none of the security you get at Le Tour or the Giro. I had a great time there last year and recommend it to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Thanks for the replies,am looking forward to it more than ever now. It will be nice to go cycling without having to avoid potholes while wearing 5 layers of clothes.

Advertisement