Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How the hell did my phone break?

• 10-03-2012 5:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭

It's a Nokia 6300, which I went to grain pains to find about a month ago. Even though it's an old model the handset was never used before so in good nick.

The other night I was using my phone at about 2am, worked fine although it was a bit low on battery. Put it down next to the bed and went to sleep. When I woke up the next day I could hear it double that beep it does when it's low on battery, but I ignored it for a while cuz I couldn't remember where it was. Then I found it and it was dead, so I plugged it in and the screen was blank. It "lights up black" if you get what I mean, i.e. the backlight works but the screen is still blank.

The phone itself works, as I can put in my PIN and make/receive calls and stuff, but have to do it all blind.

Other than ALIENS, what the hell could have caused this? Reminds me of all the headphones I had that would break for no reason.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Could be a loose connection on the ribbon LCD. Is it possible the LCD was replaced or other done on it before you got it?

Either way it's a cheap enough fix, if you want to spend cash on such a relic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It's a Nokia 6300, which I went to grain pains to find about a month ago.

That's oat so admirable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Why go to great lengths to track it down?

Just curious, don't have to answer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Davy wrote: »
    Could be a loose connection on the ribbon LCD. Is it possible the LCD was replaced or other done on it before you got it?

Either way it's a cheap enough fix, if you want to spend cash on such a relic.
    Would I be able to fix it myself? I'm handy enough at this sort of thing. I just don't want to break it altogether as right now I'm at least able to receive calls.
    Why go to great lengths to track it down?

Just curious, don't have to answer.
    Perfect phone IMO, nice clear screen, proper buttons etc. I think smartphones are a cancer to society pacman.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Would I be able to fix it myself? I'm handy enough at this sort of thing. I just don't want to break it altogether as right now I'm at least able to receive calls.

If its a loose ribbon cable it's easy enough. From memory I think you will need a t6 and a t5 screwdriver.

Edit: checked its just a t6 you need to remove 6 screws

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Not sure if it's needed here....

http://www.formymobile.co.uk/6300disassembly.php

Just in case.. ;)

SexyGuy wrote: »
    Not sure if it's needed here....

http://www.formymobile.co.uk/6300disassembly.php

Just in case.. ;)

That is helpful thanks.

Just need to find a bloody T6 screwdriver now. I wonder would I be able to borrow one from the uni?

That is helpful thanks.

Just need to find a bloody T6 screwdriver now. I wonder would I be able to borrow one from the uni?

If your not in a rush, you could buy a LCD for it incase, usually get the T6 with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its a known issue if you a google it. 6300 white screen. It might be the cable, screen or fault on the board. Mine was the latter. No point fixing it.

The Nokia C5 is probably the closest thing to it. Or 3 do a Samsung S5610.

lol so I got the screwdrivers and followed the above guide, however it neglected to mention that you had to remove a small metal cap before pulling the screen cable out, so now my screen cable is definitely broken after tearing on the aforementioned metal :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement