Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Passat 05/06 new model - any problems?

• 23-11-2008 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I am planning to buy a VW Passat 1.9 TDI with New Shape 2005 or 2006.
    I have heard that there were callbacks for these models. And been told about some clutch problem.

Anybody please advise more about this.

thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

I have an early '06 Comfortline 1.9 Tdi Passta of the new model. The only call back In had was for the cover of the wiper motor.

The fuel pump and turbo went and the dealership stated they were recogised faults in late '05 - early '06 models. I did here others complain about either the clutch or the gear box but can't remember which it was.

Runnig well since and good, spacious and comfortable car.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Fuel cooler on fuel return line was inclined to fall off causing fuel leakage so there was a recall for this and also a possible wiper motor problem, recalled also.

The dual mass fly wheel clutch is troublesome enough.
    Fuel pump failure is common also
    Ive also seen a few of the early one with front tyre wear issues from new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

what kinda price you looking at can i ask ?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭badboyblast

I`d go with the 2 litre for the extra power, bought a 2 litre TDI sport in the UK last week, 37K on it, leather interior, 9100 STG, 4500 Euro to clear.
    In great nick, very powerfull.

There seems to be a screw rolling around inside the dash somewhere.....wrecking my head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Yes - early models were plagued with problems with one major one being the electronic parking brake.

If that doesn't bother you they are a nice, well finished car I suppose. That 1.9 TDI 'pump duse' engine is way behind the times though as regard to refinement and technology. It dates back a good 16 years at least and I simply cannot recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭badboyblast

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Yes. Early models were plagued with problems with one major one being the electronic parking brake.

If that doesn't bother you though they are a nice, well finished car I suppose. That 1.9 TDI 'pump duse' engine is way behind the times as regard to refinement and technology. It dates back a good 16 years at least and I simply cannot recommend it.

Whats the craic with the electronic parking brake?
    Was it failing? Would leaving the car in gear solve this?

Whats the craic with the electronic parking brake?
    Was it failing? Would leaving the car in gear solve this?

Rather than a conventional handbrake it is a lever mounted under the dashboard above the driver's right knee. Apparently it can fail to disengage and is quite a common problem on the early models.

Rather than a conventional handbrake it is a lever mounted under the dashboard above the driver's right knee. Apparently it can fail to disengage and is quite a common problem on the early models.

Have you ever sat in one of these cars. Your description of the handbrake makes it sound like something that would be fitted to a mercedes. Its certainly not a lever and i wouldnt say under the dash either. It an electronic control. No leverage involved. I dont think they are as troublesome as alot of people are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭maidhc

mickdw wrote: »
    Have you ever sat in one of these cars. Your description of the handbrake makes it sound like something that would be fitted to a mercedes. Its certainly not a lever and i wouldnt say under the dash either. It an electronic control. No leverage involved. I dont think they are as troublesome as alot of people are saying.

Indeed. It sounds like it is worked by a stepper motor or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Or in the case of the 07' passat I had it did'nt work.
    OP , why do you want a passat when there are so many far superior cars around for the same kind of money. The old shape mondeo,mazda 6 and honda accord spring to mind as three candidates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

The handbrake is push button beside the lights switch. I've never had any prblems with mine; is it just a case of people not being used to it?

Have you ever sat in one of these cars. Your description of the handbrake makes it sound like something that would be fitted to a mercedes.

That's what it's like. An American style handbrake.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,575 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Never had any issues with the parking brake in my 06 Comfortline either. Once you get used to it it's perfectly fine.. just remember that it won't disengage automatically with your seatbelt off and that's about it.

I have the Automatic 2L DSG version and it's a great gearbox - definitely would go for it over the 1.9 if you can OP as there's a world of difference between the two.

The only issue I'd have is that it will tend to roll back a little on a hill start even with the accelerator depressed (which my 02 Auto Passat didn't do!) and this can be a problem if you have some idiot right up your ass :mad: , but mine comes with "Auto Hold" which if not solves, then at least works around, this problem. The problem with Auto Hold though is the car will jerk a bit at low crawling speeds so you can find yourself turning it on and off a lot if you're crawling up a hill in traffic. The button is also rather awkwardly positioned to the left of the gear selector but I think it was moved to the other side in newer models. Both of these issues though aren't major.

Space wise it's probably one of the biggest in it's class.. massive boot, lots of room in the back (certainly when compared to the 06 A4 I was also considering at the time). The only issue I'd have is the rear visibility isn't great, so if you got one with parking sensors then better again, but failing that it's just a matter of getting familiar with the length/width of the car.

Cruise control is a godsend and you'll wonder how you managed without it if you do a lot of motorway driving. Steering wheel controls would be nice, but it didn't come with them - some UK versions do have them though.

I do a lot of driving (around 25k miles annually) and mostly on N/M roads, so for me comfort, space and power were important - all of which this car delivers. :)

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    The only issue I'd have is that it will tend to roll back a little on a hill start even with the accelerator depressed (which my 02 Auto Passat didn't do!) and this can be a problem if you have some idiot right up your ass :mad: , but mine comes with "Auto Hold" which if not solves, then at least works around, this problem. The problem with Auto Hold though is the car will jerk a bit at low crawling speeds so you can find yourself turning it on and off a lot if you're crawling up a hill in traffic. The button is also rather awkwardly positioned to the left of the gear selector but I think it was moved to the other side in newer models. Both of these issues though aren't major.

This is exactly the problem with the electric handbrake. They ditched a perfectly good simple system in favour of something more complicated and less effectual.

I don't think it is a deal breaker though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

I have an early '06 Comfortline 1.9 Tdi Passta of the new model. The only call back In had was for the cover of the wiper motor.

The fuel pump and turbo went and the dealership stated they were recogised faults in late '05 - early '06 models. I did here others complain about either the clutch or the gear box but can't remember which it was.

Runnig well since and good, spacious and comfortable car.
    So to re-cap.....
    turbo, fuel pump and wiper motor.......
    Sums them up really.

maidhc wrote: »
    This is exactly the problem with the electric handbrake. They ditched a perfectly good simple system in favour of something more complicated and less effectual.

I don't think it is a deal breaker though.
    Interesting insurance question that just occured to me though...

Say you're on that aforementioned hill and inadvertently roll back into the guy behind you as a result of this "feature" - would you be liable or could you claim a design flaw or something?

Interesting insurance question that just occured to me though...

Say you're on that aforementioned hill and inadvertently roll back into the guy behind you as a result of this "feature" - would you be liable or could you claim a design flaw or something?

There is something wrong with your brake system if it is letting the car back on take off.
    We have had 3 of them now in the extended family and not a hint of that. If you have your belt on thereby allowing the auto release, it should not go backwards at all. If fact I read that the system is so intelligent that it senses the cooling of the brake discs and can automatically tighten the brake some more to take up the slack due to the shrinkage of the cooling discs when parked.
    The only way it is possible to go backwards (with a properly functioning system) is if you stall or dip the clutch again after it has released and in these cases, you simply do what you would do in any other car... Apply the footbrake and start again.
    My car also has an equivalent system (Audi) and if it were to be letting the car roll backwards on hill starts, I would be back to dealer fairly fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭tudenham10

Hi,

I've a 06 comfortline 1.9. Lovely car, if a little underpowered (105 bhp). Pretty easy on diesel, av 47 mpg. Faults so far have been the aforementioned fuel pump, the switch on the parking brake was very intermittent and finally the gearbox turned a little grabby around 27k miles, apparently the gear oil wasn't the correct grade!??
    All were covered under the VW warranty.
    The only thing I'd fault is the lack of mp3 or ipod connectivity with the standard head unit.

There is something wrong with your brake system if it is letting the car back on take off.
    We have had 3 of them now in the extended family and not a hint of that. If you have your belt on thereby allowing the auto release, it should not go backwards at all. If fact I read that the system is so intelligent that it senses the cooling of the brake discs and can automatically tighten the brake some more to take up the slack due to the shrinkage of the cooling discs when parked.
    The only way it is possible to go backwards (with a properly functioning system) is if you stall or dip the clutch again after it has released and in these cases, you simply do what you would do in any other car... Apply the footbrake and start again.
    My car also has an equivalent system (Audi) and if it were to be letting the car roll backwards on hill starts, I would be back to dealer fairly fast.

Didn't realise that. I was on a UK VW forum reading up on the potential problems and issues people have had, and the "auto hold" being jerky and rolling back a bit and figured (as maidhc said) that it was a known issue that VW aren't acknowledging as such. As I mentioned earlier, it's an automatic-DSG box so there isn't much driver interaction involved save for step on the accelerator, the brake disengages, and the car moves off.. or back a bit if on an incline.

My older (also auto) 02 Passat with a regular handbrake didn't do it and if anything, had more of a pull in creep/drive mode than the new one.

I'll be calling the dealer in the morning though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 spiceboy

Thanks all for your comments.
    I think I would better go for a newer model as there were couple of problems with new features introduced this car.
    I found I could get an 05 new model 105 bhp car with low mileage for around 14k or less. If going for a newer model, then I must go with the 08 one as it is having less motor tax.
    I am also interested in an 05 avensis 1.6
    How do you compare this with an 05 1.9 passat (105) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

This should give you some more info and other reviews

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/used-car-summary.aspx?rt=2513

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 V22

Yes - early models were plagued with problems with one major one being the electronic parking brake.

If that doesn't bother you they are a nice, well finished car I suppose. That 1.9 TDI 'pump duse' engine is way behind the times though as regard to refinement and technology. It dates back a good 16 years at least and I simply cannot recommend it.

You obviously havent a clue what your talking about. The Pumpe deuse engine is one of the best, torquiest, economical units I have ever seen and ive been working on them for years.....

V22 wrote: »
    You obviously havent a clue what your talking about. The Pumpe deuse engine is one of the best, torquiest, economical units I have ever seen and ive been working on them for years.....

When compared to earlier diesel engines yes but when looking at it in comparison to more up to date stuff, it doesnt stack up well in relation to noise and general refinement. In 105bhp format, its a poor engine in the new passat and interestingly, appeared to suit the old model passat much better. I assume it must have been a lighter car. Also in Octavia(I assume its the same engine) much quicker than in the new passat.
    Compare this engine to what Honda, BMW etc are producing and its old hat

Didn't realise that. I was on a UK VW forum reading up on the potential problems and issues people have had, and the "auto hold" being jerky and rolling back a bit and figured (as maidhc said) that it was a known issue that VW aren't acknowledging as such. As I mentioned earlier, it's an automatic-DSG box so there isn't much driver interaction involved save for step on the accelerator, the brake disengages, and the car moves off.. or back a bit if on an incline.

My older (also auto) 02 Passat with a regular handbrake didn't do it and if anything, had more of a pull in creep/drive mode than the new one.

I'll be calling the dealer in the morning though!

Ive only experience of cars without the auto hill hold function. Does your car go back if you dont use the hill hold function and manually activate the handbrake? The handbrake should still self release.
    Either way, its madness if you cannot stop your car going backwards on takeoff. THat wouldnt be much of a technical advance.

Ive only experience of cars without the auto hill hold function. Does your car go back if you dont use the hill hold function and manually activate the handbrake? The handbrake should still self release.
    Either way, its madness if you cannot stop your car going backwards on takeoff. THat wouldnt be much of a technical advance.
    Yes the only way to work around the problem is to activate Auto Hold when stopped. Then when you move off the car will not roll back.. otherwise it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP my uncle is on his second Passat.

He had a 07 1.6 FSi that broke his heart:
    faulty electronic brake,
    phantom warning lights on the dash resulting in the ECU having a software upgrade,
    wiper motor failure,

He bought another one though, a 08 1.4 TSi and so far it hasn't had any issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Boggins127

had the 06 1.6 model parking brake was poor at hill starts it was slow to disengage and the radio was replaced a number of times due to cd's clogging the intake. But happily i have the 08 1.4tsI model unreal car steering gearbox and park brake fixed up lovely gr8 car highly recommend it.
    thanks,
    Dave:cool:

Humm.. on the 06 one I drive, once you touch the accelerator the brake releases... most of the time. Sometimes it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

The last time I checked they were number 1 on the AA breakdown list, I wouldn't buy a modern VW tbh they're nothing but trouble.

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote: »
    Humm.. on the 06 one I drive, once you touch the accelerator the brake releases... most of the time. Sometimes it doesn't.
    Does yours roll back on an incline?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement