Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Done Deals Cash for Cars

• 10-10-2011 10:30am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hows it going folks ,

After having my Jeep for a year Im getting shot of it ,

The cost of running her is unreal at the moment.

Its a 08 Navara Crew Cab with 91K on the clock, Automatic , Leather with Canopy in black and in very good condition.

Whilst reading a post on here last night about the Tips for selling your car , I noticed one of the points was to check what sort of price there going for on done deal and the likes.

I was going to put it in CBG /CarZone Auto Trader , the usual suspects , but was then thinking of putting it in the auction up in Wilsons just off the nass road.

I tipped up on Friday and they Valued her at between 9 & 10K ex, I would be happy enough with that price.

In the interm I spotted this add on done deal

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/commercials/2478362

What are these boys like ? Are they scam artists just looking to give the least price possible , I mailed another one and he got back to me asking whats the lowest price I would take for the jeep, no offer made.

I rang the number of the above add and its giving a ring tone that indicates there abroad.

So I am really looking for advice,

Do I sell it online , what type of waiting time would I be looking at ?

Sell it at the auction, ( If anyone has any tips for this I would much obliged )

Sell it to one of the guys in the above type of ad ?

Cheers for any help and advice , it will be much appeciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

you'd get a pittance from that crowd, as they'd see you like your in the sh1ts for money.

forget about them, first step is to start marketing it on donedeal, good crewcabs are still being bought by savvy farmers as their business is strong right now. Thats the market I'd target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

without being smart, the reason they will buy your vehicle is because they can sell it on for more than they buy it.
    they are going to offer you rock bottom money so they can make more profit. there is nothing underhanded about it, they are just preying on people who are stuck for cash, really lazy, impatient, or just a bit stupid and havent advertised properly.

like MidlandsM says, you will get more money selling it yourself, just market and price it properly

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

subway wrote: »
    without being smart, the reason they will buy your vehicle is because they can sell it on for more than they buy it.
    they are going to offer you rock bottom money so they can make more profit. there is nothing underhanded about it, they are just preying on people who are stuck for cash, really lazy, impatient, or just a bit stupid and havent advertised properly.

like MidlandsM says, you will get more money selling it yourself, just market and price it properly

Cheers for the advice lads ,

Are the auctions pretty much the same ?

auction, i wouldnt know about.
    donedeal, priced right with good pics and a descriptive ad, i have seen cars sold in hours

The auctions maybe, but you'll have more control if you try and sell it private.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Ok so, you'd be happy with 9,000- 10,000.

Here's a simple exercise, clean your jeep (properly). Get a good camera and take 9 pictures of it from various angles.

Get it onto donedeal, (€3) and put it up for €12,350.

Then wait, see what happens. If someone rings and offers you €11,000, they're getting a good deal in their eyes, and you're up €1,000-€2,000 on the possible value at an auction.

That's not to be sniffed at for a days work.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

subway wrote: »
    auction, i wouldnt know about.
    donedeal, priced right with good pics and a descriptive ad, i have seen cars sold in hours

have to agree. Sold my Santa Fe in 3hrs last month:D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭murphhy

They would probably hold onto it for a month and then sell it when people are looking for 4x4's for the winter. Sell it yourself you'll get more than what they will give you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Here's a simple exercise, clean your jeep (properly). Get a good camera and take 9 pictures of it from various angles.

Then wait, see what happens. If someone rings and offers you €11,000, they're getting a good deal in their eyes, and you're up €1,000-€2,000 on the possible value at an auction.

Excellent advice there LM.

I'd stay away from auctions. Good photos and a good add will really improve your chances of getting the price you want on something like Donedeal. A good proper clean can add hundreds of euro to the selling price than if it is dirty. €10500 would probably be a good price for it. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Cheers,

Have it on done deal at 10,500 ex , going out to clean her up now , only got her the valet last month so she is pretty tidy inside still. And will take a few more pics ,

Thanks for all the help folks

Got a call there from a weird number

+7 (8500) 09-32-3

Left a voicemail giving a UK number to call him back on ! Looking up that dial code is from Russia !!!

• Advertisement

murphhy wrote: »
    They would probably hold onto it for a month and then sell it when people are looking for 4x4's for the winter. Sell it yourself you'll get more than what they will give you

He has none up there in the lot which I found strange enough , said she very clean and he would expect her to sell on the night , but I might go with the excellent advice from LM

dont waste your time, thats a scam already.
    take a few pics in daylight with the car wahed, preferably when the sun comes out for 5 mins. do the usual photos, all 4 quarter panels, plus front, rear, side view and a couple interior. a detailed list of eveything you know about the car will demonstrate it as a well careed for example

and i think you are allowed link to the ad if you want more advice. (check with a mod first)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Cheers,

Have it on done deal at 10,500 ex , going out to clean her up now , only got her the valet last month so she is pretty tidy inside still. And will take a few more pics ,

Thanks for all the help folks

Got a call there from a weird number

+7 (8500) 09-32-3

Left a voicemail giving a UK number to call him back on ! Looking up that dial code is from Russia !!!

I would say this is a english mobile number, i googled it and it shows up on a few sites for selling cars:

http://eastyorkshire.britya.com/carsvehicles-a-cars-a-a83173291680-a-2000-Model-X-reg-Bmw-316i-se-

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/2010-damaged-repairable-toyota-prius-hybrid/89053664

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭pcardin

Isn't that the type of number that Nigerian scam artists use?
    Beside the only country that comes in my mind as +7 is Russia. :confused:

+7 8500 09323 (camobian)
    or
    +44 7850 009323 (UK mobile)

i think its probably the UK number , seems too much of a coincidence, be careful anyway OP, they may be using strange numbers that will look like UK mobile numbers of they call a UK seller

LOL, i love to take the piss out of them, lol.

Well Cheers for the advice folks ,

Sold her tonight , and got what I was looking for it ,

Cheers for the help , much appreciated.

Now off to find me a nice Focus Car Van ,

Although Wilsons Auctions are auctioning off all Tallaght Fords stock on the 5th of November, I might try and hold out for something in that.

Congrats!

did a farmer buy it?

also, avoid the focus 1.6tdci engine's, they're shyte......the 1.8tdci is the one you want :)

Weh hey!

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Congrats!

did a farmer buy it?

also, avoid the focus 1.6tdci engine's, they're shyte......the 1.8tdci is the one you want :)

Cheers for that , I was actually looking at the 1.6tdci !

• Advertisement

Cheers for that , I was actually looking at the 1.6tdci !

There's nothing wrong with the 1.6 tdci if it's kept serviced. (No more than any other engine). The reason the turbos blow in them is because there are two little filters on the oil lines into the turbo that need to be changed and ofttimes get blocked.

Advertisement