Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you get your inspiration ?

• 28-08-2009 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Just really wanna know how you find out about new bands and/or bands you really should hear but maybe missed. I would say this preety much encompasses my own sources :-

going to gigs where wouldn't know who's playing to Adam - Whelans, Academy, Tripod, Button Fcatory spring to mind.

Phantom FM (not as good for this as used to be)

recommendations (mates, forums etc)

any others or venues I have missed ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Word of Mouth - my mates generally have a good taste in music so I take their advice

The Internet - last.fm, amazon, google, blogs - there are some really good irish music blogs out there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

www.allmusic.com

is quite good
    go to artist you like and check out their influences/simmilar artists/followers
    it also helps sifiting through where to start with artists that have a large back catelouge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Hardrain

Uncut magazines reviews has led me to some great music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

www.allmusic.com

is quite good
    go to artist you like and check out their influences/simmilar artists/followers
    it also helps sifiting through where to start with artists that have a large back catelouge

This an wikipedia are a fantastic double team

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

In the good old days, it was Tom Dunne or Donal Dinneens radio shows that tipped me off to some good music....now I rarely hear anything on the radio...its a combination of the web, last fm, and the FREE music channel on sky, NME TV ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

last.fm,allmusic,pitchfork,nme,uncut,the Sunday Times has decent music coverage,this and likeminded forums, and I volunteer at a college radio station-meaning I come across loads of stuff you wouldn't normally hear.
    www.flirtfm.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

Cheers to all who replied. Not sure if was mentioned but YouTube sidebar also good for following like-type music !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

The "Radio" button in Grooveshark is good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I often listen to artists that have been cited as influences by artists I already like. I love to find out more about the musicians I listen to, and it often brings with it a lot of pleasant surprises with new artists I've never heard of before. It's introduced me to so much great music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Sites like BBC Music, allmusic. last.fm, rym occasionally, Metacritic is a great one as it gives an average of all the reviews.

Used to buy Q Magazine for two years solid. Got a good bit from that.

Have a few friends who DJ, get some good dubstep, electro house recommendations off them.

I used to post on NME boards and there were some in the know people there, heard about Beach House before Devotion was released for example. The forums dead as a dodo now but I keep in contact with one or two through last.fm.

Just going off in tangents round youtube you can find some great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

A us magazine that has pretty good taste:

www.spin.com

Local (seattle) radio station playlist (also with good taste!):

http://kexp.org/playlist/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

I find by subscribing to uploaders on youtube often produces good results.
    The CloudDrops is one such uploader who uploads on-topic new music a few times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

iTunes/Store surfing is neat
    Choose artist/album to start
    Proceed along the 'Listeners also Bought' link and repeat until something catches your fancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Last.fm, Rate Your Music, Drowned In Sound, Stereogum, Uncut, MOJO, various music blogs and music forums.

Certainly not Q, NME and the Day & Section of the Indo.

Admittingly I don't discover as much music from this place as I'd like to. I very rarely click on a Youtube video unless the person who posted it included a description of the song that sparks my interest. Also some albums reviews would be good ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I got some weird virus/trojan/malware from connecting to NME once.

Scared me enough i've never gone back.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I got some weird virus/trojan/malware from connecting to NME once.

Scared me enough i've never gone back.

:(
    I saw a disturbing photo of Beth Ditto on the NME site once.

Scared me enough I've never gone back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Mainly through recommendations here and what a lot of other users talk about.

I've really gotten into Mindy Smith lately, a singer-songwriter I wouldn't have known about without yahoo answers.

I'm still trying to get into music blogs and that, but I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to look at it being off college for the best of four months.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Twitter. And gib in elastic witch. Friends.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

And if I don't know a band leagues or u:Mack are bringing to town I'll check them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭mooliki

For me, most reliable source of new finds these days comes from newnoise podcast. Hour long show, usually about 10 or 11 tracks, posted about once every 9 or 10 days. Generally a pretty eclectic range of stuff.

Advertisement