Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2012

• 01-03-2012 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭

Limerick FC for Beginners
    Said I'd throw up a post for anyone that may be thinking of heading down to Jackman to catch a few games this year with a bit of info about the club, the players the league etc…. I know I threw a post up for someone a few weeks ago about something similar but thought this might be handy for some.

Name: Limerick FC
    Home Ground: Jackman Park for the 2012 Season
    Capacity: 2,200 (last capacity I saw for it)
    Division: Airtricity League Of Ireland First Division (Second Tier of the League of Ireland)
    Club Colours: Blue and White

Home league games are played on Friday nights at 7:45pm usually every second week. Cup matches can be on either weekends or Monday and Tuesday nights. Fixtures for the 2012 season can be found here.

Admission to games is 10euro for adults and season tickets are priced at 110euro for adult terrace.

This season there will be an official supporters club and all information of benefits etc… can be found here

New signings. The club while not being overly activate in the transfer window, as a lot of last seasons squad have remained, have made very astute signings in the off season. Dominic Foley, Stephen Bradley, Derek O Brien and Shane Guthrie are all players with LOI pedigree and Foley in particular has 6 international caps to his name.

Manager: Pat Scully
    Chairman: Pat O Sullivan
    General Manager: Kieran Judge
    Club Secretary: Michael O'Sullivan

Some players to look out for this season are:

Pat Purcell (CB) : Captain and all round leader of the team.
    Shaun Kelly (RB) : Solid attacking right full.
    Joe Gamble (CM) : Tough tackling experienced midfielder.
    Stephen Bradley (CM) : More attacking flair in the middle and is known for being a great passer of the ball.
    Denis Behan (CF) : Strong centre forward who links up play very well.

Young players to keep an eye on:

Andrew Bhandarkar (LB) : Only finding his feet at LOI level but is young and willing to attack from the back.
    David O'Leary (CM) : His 3rd season at the club but he is still only 19 years of age. A tough midfielder with a good eye for a pass.
    Paudie Quinn (CF) : Always likely to come up with a spectacular goal and has a habit of scoring against the top teams.
    Sean Brosnan (CF/WG) : Pace to burn, works hard and is well capable of scoring goals.

This seasons First Division is made up of 8 teams that will play each other 4 times. Twice at home and twice away. Teams to keep an eye on will be Waterford United and Longford Town.

Promotion/Relegation:

First will be automatically promoted to the Premier Division. Second will play 3rd in a home and away two game playoff. The winners will then play second from bottom in the Premier Division for the chance to be promoted.

Limerick FC will be hot favorites for the league this season. A title that the club will not have been used to having for a very long time. The club has spent 19 years in the First Division, the longest run of any club in League of Ireland History. The dream for most fans will be a return to the Premier Division and The Markets Field for the 2012 season.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Next Fixture:

Opening game of the season:

Limerick FC vs Finn Harps, Friday March 2nd, 7:45pm, Jackman Park.

Anybody want to have a go at a prediction? Many on this going to make their way to Jackman?

I'll go for 2-1 Limerick with a possible lineup of:

.........................................Barry Ryan..............................................

Shaun Kelly........Pat Purcell (c).......Shane Guthrie........Andrew Bhandarkar.

Rory Gaffney......Stephen Bradley......Joe Gamble...........Shane Tracey........

.......................Paudie Quinn..........Denis Behan.....................................

Subs:

Dave Ryan
    Corie Tracey
    David O'Leary
    Sean Brosnan
    Dominic Foley
    Derek O Brien
    Barry Sheedy

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

We'll do well to get the 3 points any way we can. Harps are sticky at the best of times, throw in 1st game rustyness and we have a game on our hands.

Limerick 3-2 Harps

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Our Brian

Limerick 3 Finn Harps 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Great post Jof, cheers for the info, haven't been up to see them in a few seasons, I will have to make my way up to a few games this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

i'm gonna go limerick 2-1.

should be a good crowd tonight hopefully. cant wait

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

First game in years, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Vanolder wrote: »
    First game in years, looking forward to it.

Should be a good game, Harps are bringing a bus of fans apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Hope ye enjoy the game lads. Gonna make it my business to go more games this season. I'm only a stones throw away from Jackman so I've no excuse! Think Limerick will win 2-0 tonight. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Limerick 2 up at half time, Gaffney and Quinn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Just in from the game. Was extremely windy so it was a bit scrappy but an entertaining game nonetheless. Finished 2-1 to Limerick, they coasted the first half but struggled somewhat in the second 45 when playing into the wind. First goal was an absolute screamer, top corner from about 30 yards into the top corner. Stand out players for me were Behan, Gamble and Purcell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Should have went to this match - not a good day at Thomond Park by any means!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Mc Love wrote: »
    Should have went to this match - not a good day at Thomond Park by any means!

Who was playing in thomand park tonight? Munster weren't playing were they?

Colemania wrote: »
    Who was playing in thomond park tonight? Munster weren't playing were they?

Shannon and Garryowen in the UBL

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭DBIreland

I went along tonight for the first time ever and really enjoyed it.
    Who got the second goal for Limerick? Was it an own goal or did Gaffney get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Colemania wrote: »
    Who was playing in thomand park tonight? Munster weren't playing were they?

God no.!!!
    not a pair of sunglasses to be seen.;)
    just Shannon/Garryowen.
    the bandwagon dont follow that. only diehards like Mclove.
    we'll be seeing him in Jackman from now on by the sounds of it....:)

DBIreland wrote: »
    I went along tonight for the first time ever and really enjoyed it.
    Who got the second goal for Limerick? Was it an own goal or did Gaffney get it?

Was credited to Gaffney but I reckon it was an own goal from my angle

From where I was it looked like Gaffney hit in the keepers near post from a tight angle.

Good first half but scrappy second half. Once the team settles into the season we should see much better performances.

Attendance of 820 which was decent and 3 points in the bag.

Onwards and upwards.

Next up:

Waterford vs Limerick Friday 9th, 7:45pm, RSC.

Comfortable enough win even when Harps pulled one back. Bit sluggish and rusty in the second half but that will improve. Waterford and Mervue away next.

Limerick FC Official Supporters' Club Bus to Waterford. Friday March 9th - leaving Arthurs Quay Park at 3.30pm sharp. Members Only. Membership available on the day. Adults €15. Children accompanied by a Parent €10. Names have to be in by Wednesday Midday. Please only book a seat if you are sure you are going. Thank You.

Is there a big crowd expected to travel down on Friday ?

• Advertisement

Our Brian wrote: »
    Is there a big crowd expected to travel down on Friday ?

There is a bus running, and I know a few car loads going down...maybe looking at 100 Limerick fans at the game by my reckoning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

2 questions about waterford.

1. Will I get lost going there without a satnav?
    2. What time should I leave to get there? Parking etc.

Just wondering it would be my first trip down there so just want to get these things right

Iang87 wrote: »
    2 questions about waterford.

1. Will I get lost going there without a satnav?
    2. What time should I leave to get there? Parking etc.

Just wondering it would be my first trip down there so just want to get these things right

Here you go mate, its just across the road from the Waterford Crystal Visitor Centre...

http://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=limerick&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&sll=52.243831,-7.113132&sspn=0.028537,0.084543&geocode=FTGWIwMdq118_ykTUVQfYVxbSDEwczGXqccACg%3BFbg7HQMdykiT_w&mra=ls&t=m&z=9

One spare seat left on the members bus (you can join on the day) if anyone wants it but it wont be around for long so pm me asap if anyone wants it. Ta :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Cant believe the score i'm seeing on teletext.
    what a disaster,especially when Waterford lost 6-0 last week.
    some turnaround for them though.

christ on a bike - thats a disaster of a scoreline!

Poor performance. We had the lions share of possession but were exposed at the back when we pushed on for the winner. Got what we deserved in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

We passed the ball and cut through them easily for the first 15, but then they scored and we resorted to hoofing the ball forward hopelessly for the rest of the half.

We used the ball with more purpose in the 2nd half, and deserved our equaliser. We kept playing well after that, but were caught on the break and resorted to hoofball again, without success. Sheahan nearly broke the crossbar with a shot late on, but they made it 3-1 just after.

Very disappointing performance - when a team presses the midfield and closes up the space, we seem to have no idea whatsoever of how to break them down and just thump long balls for Behan. Even if he wins them, there's no support there because our central midfielders Gamble and Bradley both prefer to play deeper.

If we dont win the next two i think it will be time for a change before it gets too late to bring in someone new. Taxi for Scully...

• Advertisement

Awful first half but much better 2nd when Scully made the changes.
    To be fair to Pat and the players before Waterford got their second on the break we were all over them. we scored, hit the crossbar twice and Iv heard a few Waterford fans say we had the ball cross the line and it was stopped by the defenders hand.
    I was up the other end of the ground and it looked like a double save from the keeper but if their saying it....:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement