Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fluent French in Ireland in four months? C'est possible?

• 07-05-2012 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I studied French for the the Leaving Cert and a few years back I really got into it again, spending almost two months in a language school in France. Unfortunately, I've had a pretty hectic year and my conversational French isn't particularly fluid. I do have a pretty solid base however, and want to go all out over the next four months to improve it.

I won't be working over the summer, and was hoping to have vastly improved my French by September. Is it possible to become fluent in french, or as close as, in 4 months- without actually moving to the country? And if so, how would one go about it- without spending too much money.

I have tapes and grammar books etc.

Merci.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not fluent, but I think, given your base, you could come a fair way. Fluent typically means two years of living in the culture. If you want to apply for professional jobs that say 'fluent', then you need to live there for more than two months.

Alliance française would be an obvious route.

Also try to do conversation practice with language students.

Advertisement