Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sarky wrote: »
    New planet discovered... Made mostly of diamond, apparently...
    "DeBeers Claim Planet Is a Hoax While Building A Secret Rocket Filled With Cheap Labour to Extract the Gems For Their Stockpiles".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Earth really is no longer the jewel of the universe. Or possibly God's cheating on us, the interstellar hussy. I wonder if they're both abusive relationships.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,973 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Dades wrote: »
    "DeBeers Claim Planet Is a Hoax While Building A Secret Rocket Filled With Cheap Labour to Extract the Gems For Their Stockpiles".
    horse****.
    de beers have merely claimed that it has long been tradition for a man to buy a woman a diamond ring of 10^43 carats per month's salary earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

New planet discovered... Made mostly of diamond, apparently.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/25/us-planet-diamond-idUSTRE77O69A20110825

Thats a different giant space diamond to this one, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

so it looks like supersymmetry could well be going out of the window very shortly.

this is why science is so awesome and scientists (for the most part) deserve our utmost respect.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14680570

you have a theory that *seemed* to explain some of the way the universe works and as it was considered to be the best explanation a the time, it was widely accepted.

you've got physicists dedicating their lives and all their work to the theory and then the LHC comes along and they start designing experiments which should give results to prove the theory...but, somewhat unexpectedly they don't and instead seem to disprove it instead.

so as a physicist who has dedicated a large portion of their life to proving a theory which now appears defunct what do you do? scream and shout and defend your theory to the death?

nope. :)
    Dr Joseph Lykken of Fermilab, who is among the conference organisers, says he and others working in the field are "disappointed" by the results - or rather, the lack of them.

"There's a certain amount of worry that's creeping into our discussions," he told BBC News.

The worry is that the basic idea of supersymmetry might be wrong.

"It's a beautiful idea. It explains dark matter, it explains the Higgs boson, it explains some aspects of cosmology; but that doesn't mean it's right.

"It could be that this whole framework has some fundamental flaws and we have to start over again and figure out a new direction," he said.
    science takes all the available evidence and draws conclusions upon what it knows, but when what it knows changes, even well established theories can be thrown out if they don't fit the new evidence.

on the one hand its very disappointing for these guys, but on the other hand, they all deserve a very big pat on the back for being able to stand up and say "well, yeah we might have been wrong, but we've learnt a lot and we're going to work on what we've learnt and go off in new and exciting directions to come up with new ideas and explanations that DO fit the new evidence".

even when it loses, science wins. :)

• Advertisement

I think it would have been kind of anti-climactic if the LHC results said "Yup, that's it all right. Time to go home everyone."

They're going to have so much fun coming up with new theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I think it would have been kind of anti-climactic if the LHC results said "Yup, that's it all right. Time to go home everyone."

1632997-for_science_dr_insano_doctor_nostalgia_critic_that_guy_with_demotivational_poster_1274272750_super.jpg

Damn straight.

<gets back to work on cyborg shark monkey project>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,973 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i really hope string theory is not proved right. it just seems inelegant.

Damn straight.

<gets back to work on cyborg shark monkey project>

I saw a documentary on something similar once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I particularly like to hear what he has to say about mobile phones as an example of technology running rough shod through society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

vibe666 wrote: »
    so it looks like supersymmetry could well be going out of the window very shortly.

phd051809s.gif

"
    The BBC has placed supersymmetry next to the carbon dioxide and the AGW "deniers" as the ultimate enemies of Gaia. A would-be journalist, Mr Pallab Ghosh, chose this title: Oh my Ghosh. ;-) Kilotons of simpletons who have copied this stuff from the BBC have overwhelmed my Twitter Watch Google Chrome extension."

"It's still a beginning of the experiment and the total number of collisions inside the LHC will grow by orders of magnitude and the energy will be doubled, too."

"It's the beginning but the LHC has already falsified many particular models with new phenomena predicted below 1 TeV or so - or, more precisely, with new phenomena visible in the first two inverse femtobarns. There have been lots of papers talking about possible observations in this region because many people liked things "behind the corner" that could have been a recipe for a quick journey to fame. It didn't work. ;-)

The experiments have surely not "punished" supersymmetry more than any other bottom-up theory even though many ignorant and deluded laymen such as Mr Ghosh are self-evidently obsessed with this utter misconception.

It's not even true that all superpartners with masses lighter than 1 TeV have been excluded. The firm exclusion only applies to superpartners that interact via the strong force - because it's easy to produce them by the "hadron" colliders such as the LHC. The other superpartners may be lighter and in fact, even many squarks may still be much lighter than 1 TeV. On the other hand, squarks may be much heavier and this actually allows the gluinos to be lighter than reported by the generic LHC data."

"More generally, there is nothing wrong with the Standard Model at 1 TeV - assuming that it contains something like the Higgs boson (which also remains undiscovered by the LHC but for certain reasons that are usually called "double standards", it wasn't "put on the spot" by the BBC). All imperfections of the Standard Model are of theoretical character and they only start to "scream" at mass scales much higher than 1 TeV."

"The possibility that the LHC may discover nothing new besides the Standard Model (including one Higgs boson) is not a shocking new revelation: it's been discussed as one of the most likely scenarios for more than a decade."

"So far, the LHC has only excluded models with new physics right behind the corner. Many of them were artificially "adjusted" to predict something new as soon as possible because that's what certain phenomenologists wanted. No doomsday for the Standard Model arrived but new physics may always emerge later.

The energy scale at which we may expect new physics has shifted to higher values. However, supersymmetry remains the single most justified class of models that may be expected to emerge at the LHC - or a more advanced collider in the future. Nothing has really changed about it."

"To summarize, Mr Ghosh should splash himself down the drain because his work is a pile of garbage.

BTW, Ghosh also recently wrote a report on the CLOUD experiment designed to test Svensmark's theory - the previous article on TRF - without mentioning Svensmark's name (not to mention other lethal problems with his text). My problems with certain journalists are usually very far from being one-dimensional ones. Some journalists are simply spherical bastards - they're bastards no matter what direction you observe them from."

link (includes a more detailed analysis of that "pile of garbage")

liamw wrote: »
    Is it wrong to note 100m winners are always black?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14679657
    That article kind of annoyed me, though I can't really explain why.

Perhaps it should have been titled:

Is it wrong to note 100m swimming winners are always white?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's actually to do with centre of gravity. Runners with a high centre of gravity are faster, and swimmers with a low centre of gravity are faster. Since people of African extraction tend to have a relatively high centre of gravity they tend to be better runners, similarly caucasians with their relatively low centre of gravity tend to be better swimmers. Apparently it all hinges on where your belly button is.

Is it wrong to remark on these differences between races. Some people would say yes, but I don't think it is. Blonde people usually get sunburned quicker, African runners tend to be faster than European runners, short people can usually fit into smaller hiding places than tall people. These are nothing but physiological differences, they have nothing to do with a person's worth, and they certainly don't mean that black people shouldn't swim competitively, white people shouldn't run competitively, or tall people shouldn't compete for the 2011 hide-and-seek championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

To be honest, I thought the same when I read it. What point is it trying to make, exactly? It has Usain Bolt in the picture, the title suggests it is about 100m runners, but then goes into an explanation behind the dominance of Kenyan runners at long distance.

It just mentions that most 100m winners are Jamaican or African-American, without any analysis of why this is so.

If I were to make an assumption, I'd say it's because both Jamaica and the US have dedicated programmes, with large amounts of funding going into them, to produce these runners. I'd also make the suggestion that, if runners from West Africa were brought up with the same system, they'd become competitive.

You know what? That was a pretty shi'ite article.

I think it annoyed me because it started out (rightly, imo) asking what's so wrong with making a statement like in the title... but then goes on to dig out some spurious reason for it to be wrong - and then throws in some social experiment that shows people are more willing to hire whites that has nothing to do with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Yeah that last bit was daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

liamw wrote: »

The main problem with the article is that it's a strawman argument. I don't know anyone who claims that all black people (including pygmies) are naturally good sprinters. However some facts are apparent; the best sprinters always have a high % of fast twitch muscle fibres, and the best of the best are of west African descent.
    Separately, many of the best distance runners come from East Africa; the Kenya Rift valley and Ethiopian highlands. Again separately, Himalayan Sherpas are very good at climbing Mt Everest, despite not being black. This all shows that there is a lot of genetic diversity in the world, which is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

It gets into horrible areas if you consider in the past that certain groups underwent forced selection.
    Chris Rock and Steven Pinker in the videos below give their views on how this effected different races.

Chris Rock about black slaves (needs sign in)

Steven Pinker - Jews, Genes and Intelligence

Chris Rock's may be the less serious one.

Is it wrong to note that the countries with the best drug labs win the most gold medals?

eoin5 wrote: »
    Is it wrong to note that the countries with the best drug labs win the most gold medals?

Um China?:confused:

Malty_T wrote: »
    Um China?:confused:

Yea plenty goings on in Shanghai it seems.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Tee-shirts about thinkers, for thinkers:

http://monstersofgrok.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

According to Fox News, the last ten years have seen a decline in 10% in the number of creationist believers in the US, and a whopping 30% increase in the number of evolutionists:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/09/07/fox-news-poll-creationism/

Well done everybody!

I don't believe them. :pac:

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    According to Fox News, the last ten years have seen a decline in 10% in the number of creationist believers in the US, and a whopping 30% increase in the number of evolutionists...
    Proof of natural selection right there!

Advertisement