Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor - A Joke

• 26-04-2012 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Signed up for a two year Meteor bill pay yesterday. They told me I could keep my old number and it would take 2-3 hours for my SIM to be activated. One day later and no joy. Tried calling every Meteor store in Dublin, no answer. Tried their customer service helpline. They want my number but its not activated yet?? ! Tried their forum but they want a pin number? ?! Lodged a complaint on their site but never heard anything back. Before I signed my contract the chap in the store told me Id never have any problem getting a customer service agent on the phone.

Anyone know if Id have any trouble cancelling my contract? My phone isnt activated yet. I left my last network because of bad customer service and really dont want to go down this road again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Ports can take up to 48 hours, which they should have told you when you signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭yellowbear

They should have given you a meteor sim card that they are going to port your number over too.
    This will have a meteor number on it at the minute.
    The documentation you recieved in the shop should have this number and a pin for the sim card.

That is what the customer service helpline and forum would have been looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

dorgasm wrote: »
    Ports can take up to 48 hours, which they should have told you when you signed up.

Cheers. Finally managed to get someone on the phone and they said the same. I have no problem with that. Just very frustrating being told 2-3 hours and then not being able to talk to a Meteor rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

You moved to Meteor because of bad customer service? First mistake there my friend... they are the worst out of the lot of them. They must be considered amongst the worst in Ireland, along with UPC and Airtricity...

Anyway. Hope you get it sorted. I have had nothing but trouble with meteor in the past and was pleased to move away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Ironman76 wrote: »
    Cheers. Finally managed to get someone on the phone and they said the same. I have no problem with that. Just very frustrating being told 2-3 hours and then not being able to talk to a Meteor rep.

There are a few trains of thought on this.

All providers generally state that ports may take 48 hours. However, anecdotally, about 90% can be processed within 30 minutes to 2 hours.

48 hours is stated to ease confusion and lessen support calls. The retail agent probably mentioned 2 to 3 hours as that is 'the norm'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

The above is true. When I was doing ports for customers I'd ALWAYS say up to 48 hours but tell them it could be quicker depending how busy porting is at any given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Re: canceling your contract, you have EDIT : 10 days to cancel under the consumer credit act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The cooling off period in the Consumer Credit Act is 10 days, and can be waived by the consumer. If you have waived your right to a cooling off period, you may not cancel now.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1995/en/act/pub/0024/sec0050.html#sec50

A waiver forms the basis of many service contracts like this. Check your documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭tomasL

u wrong,im with meteor over seven years,never had any problems,u blame upc but still everyone signs them,cos they have best product.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

The people in the Meteor stores couldnt be more helpful and friendly in fairness. They have sorted out any issues Ive had so far. I will be sticking with them for this reason and apologise for the slightly over the top thread. My issue wasnt with their network or coverage, just trying to get to speak to someone on the phone.

Just Ive come from another network that has been a disaster the last few months, you couldnt make some of the stuff up. This is why I signed up with Meteor.

Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

The people in the Meteor stores couldnt be more helpful and friendly in fairness. They have sorted out any issues Ive had so far. I will be sticking with them for this reason and apologise for the slightly over the top thread. My issue wasnt with their network or coverage, just trying to get to speak to someone on the phone.

Just Ive come from another network that has been a disaster the last few months, you couldnt make some of the stuff up. This is why I signed up with Meteor.

Thanks for the replies.

Bet it was 3 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Nutsflyer

Thanks for the replies.

Bet it was 3 :p

meteor are nothing but a pack of liars.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

If you're porting from Vodafone, the delay was probably on their end. All of the other networks have an automated system, whereby the network you're porting to sends a request and it's either automatically accepted or denied (depending on whether or not you have outstanding time on your contract, etc.)

Vodafone, however, still operate a manned system for this. Essentially, if your request is at the bottom of the pile or someone called in sick that day, prepare to wait if you're porting off their network.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 R0bb01987

Ive been with them a few years now and found my bills were high, they rang me up and signed me up for the smart 50 plan with free texts to any network. the bills were what I expected then I got a text in March with my bill balance which was odd. The bill was twice what it normally was. I rang up and they said my texts to any network was a gimmick for a year and ran out (bearing in mind the contract was 18 month). I was then told I could have had them added onto the plan for €10 extra a month. The main reason I was annoyed was they send you messages for everything else yet this coming to an end wasnt referred to me.

So I decided to register a complaint. I went onto their website and used the complaint form. got a message saying I would receive an acknowledgement and my complaint would be dealt with in 5 working days. no acknowlegment and no response. I then faxed and posted my complaint and kept a copy of the fax confirmation. 5 days later I got a call saying we have received your complaint and you will get a response in 5 to 10 working days. on the tenth working day I rang to see if it was being dealt with and the chap on the phone has no idea why I was calling etc etc. I was told I would get a phonecall the nect day from a manager. two days later I got a phonecall from the customer service line and when I answered I was on hold then put throught to someone who thought I rang him. went mad and found ot someone rang me and put me straight through to this guy as a joke. in fairness to him wasnt his fault bt after a month It was taking the p*ss. I raised my issue with Comreg and got a phonecall from the rudest person ive ever spoke to in Meteor, he went through the options etc and I asked for an email or letter to confirm it as everytime you ring they have no clue, he said I wouldnt get either and if I wanted my file and their internal notes I would have to pay €6,40. So ive gone back to Comreg and the case is on going still.

Needless to say I will b moving network however I will get this dealt with just because ive wasted so much time with it.

I use to work in a call centre so I know whats its like getting crap calls one after the other however all 5 people ive spoken to over this all have an attitude which their is no excuse for.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭GEM_13

I signed up to a plan online in Nov but rang customer care cancelled before i even received the sim because i didn't receive a contract by e-mail or post and because of the negative feedback i was reading here.

I got the sim in the post but never even opened it,let alone port over.I got my first bill in Jan and have been getting them since.They took the first bill by direct debit but i cancelled it after that.I went into a shop and the manager said that i should not be getting billed and to ring them.I rang them and was again told it would be fixed-but no.Got another couple of bills since.

I have sent e-mails but have not received a reply so i went onto the website this morning and filled in an enquiry form.After a couple of minutes,up popped the live chat.I then asked if the person could look into something and gave the account no.I was told what plan i was on and i agreed-but disagreed. I told the person i had been with the same provider since i got a mobile(which is donkeys years).

I was asked if i signed up for a plan and explained the story above and then- Keyboard silence.It then came up-as i haven't heard from you in a while,i'm going to close this chat.If you need any help in future,don't hesitate to contact us.:mad:

That is what i have done my best to do several times.It's just a joke at this stage.The worst thing is,i wanted to sign up for the current e-mobile deal but i'm turned right off after this mornings dealings with Livechat.

GEM_13 wrote: »
    I signed up to a plan online in Nov but rang customer care cancelled before i even received the sim because i didn't receive a contract by e-mail or post and because of the negative feedback i was reading here.

I got the sim in the post but never even opened it,let alone port over.I got my first bill in Jan and have been getting them since.They took the first bill by direct debit but i cancelled it after that.I went into a shop and the manager said that i should not be getting billed and to ring them.I rang them and was again told it would be fixed-but no.Got another couple of bills since.

I have sent e-mails but have not received a reply so i went onto the website this morning and filled in an enquiry form.After a couple of minutes,up popped the live chat.I then asked if the person could look into something and gave the account no.I was told what plan i was on and i agreed-but disagreed. I told the person i had been with the same provider since i got a mobile(which is donkeys years).

I was asked if i signed up for a plan and explained the story above and then- Keyboard silence.It then came up-as i haven't heard from you in a while,i'm going to close this chat.If you need any help in future,don't hesitate to contact us.:mad:

That is what i have done my best to do several times.It's just a joke at this stage.The worst thing is,i wanted to sign up for the current e-mobile deal but i'm turned right off after this mornings dealings with Livechat.

Have you rung them?

I rang them twice and was told both times that the problem would be dealt with but it wasn't.I understand that unless i keep ringing them,nothing will get sorted.The onus is in me but when a company says they will sort something they should.

I have read the stories on this thread about time on the phone with them but i am going to go back into a Meteor shop today.I'll give them one of the bills and maybe they might be able to help.

I rang them twice and was told both times that the problem would be dealt with but it wasn't.I understand that unless i keep ringing them,nothing will get sorted.The onus is in me but when a company says they will sort something they should.

I have read the stories on this thread about time on the phone with them but i am going to go back into a Meteor shop today.I'll give them one of the bills and maybe they might be able to help.

No, now you need to follow their formal complaints process. It can take time but you shouldn't stress over it.

Write [don't email] a formal letter of complaint. Mention the words FORM COMPLAINT in your opening line.

Send this by registered post to their head office. Give them 2 weeks to respond. If they don't, then contact ComReg.

EDIT : Are Meteor still charging you? If so, by what means?

Thanks for the replies RangeR.

They are still sending me bills but i cancelled the DD after they took the first bill from my account.My biggest question is:Are they right or wrong?It could be a grey area.

They are billing me for a service that i haven't used but i did sign up albeit never porting over.If you compare it to Sky,for instance,you could say they are wrong.If you sign up for Sky,you get a card sent out and an engineer comes to do an install and activates the account then-you are then billed from that date.

I would have guessed they are wrong.Any opinion on that RangeR(don't worry-i won't quote you on it :))

Thanks for the replies RangeR.

They are still sending me bills but i cancelled the DD after they took the first bill from my account.My biggest question is:Are they right or wrong?It could be a grey area.

They are billing me for a service that i haven't used but i did sign up albeit never porting over.If you compare it to Sky,for instance,you could say they are wrong.If you sign up for Sky,you get a card sent out and an engineer comes to do an install and activates the account then-you are then billed from that date.

I would have guessed they are wrong.Any opinion on that RangeR(don't worry-i won't quote you on it :))

You ordered online. You have 7 [or 14, I'm not sure] days in which to change your mind about the order. If you contacted them within that period and told them to cancel the order/contract, then they are in the wrong. If it was after that time, you are in the wrong. Now, that's the basics.

I'm going to take a guess that you rang them within 7 days, as you hadn't received your SIM yet.

You really need to write them a formal letter of complaint. Put everything in it. If you have date/time of the call you made, put this in too.

Now, as for your direct debit. Did Meteor refund you? If not, contact your local bank branch [the one that looks after your current account]. Tell them that there is a dispute with the direct debit. Tell them that it's an unauthorised debit, give them the reason. Inform them, nicely that under the Direct Debit Scheme rules, they must refund you immediately.

Now, I'm serious when I say this... Only go down this road if you are 200% sure that you are in the right.

• Advertisement

Ok, it's 7 days, by law. It's called the cooling off period. The 7 days starts from when you RECEIVE the product, not when you make the order.

EDIT : Actually, for you it's starts on the date of the contract. This gives you less time to cancel. Get all your facts together and make an informed decision. We can then move forward from there.

If i can't remember the exact date and time i first rang them,i could be in trouble so?
    Do they not send some kind of confirmation/contract to those who sign up online?
    One of the things i do remember it stating was that the 1 euro i paid for the sim would be refunded when i received it/activated the account.This didn't happen either so would this be a bum note for them in terms of a contract condition?

If i can't remember the exact date and time i first rang them,i could be in trouble so?
    Do they not send some kind of confirmation/contract to those who sign up online?
    One of the things i do remember it stating was that the 1 euro i paid for the sim would be refunded when i received it/activated the account.This didn't happen either so would this be a bum note for them in terms of a contract condition?

Usually [995 out of 1000*], you receive your SIM within the 7 days [you rang before this]. Go with the formal letter route. Make sure you send it via Registered Post. This may be a long process but shouldn't last more than a month.

*Quasi makey up statistic.

Appreciate the advice RangeR.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28 R0bb01987

Follow their complaints procedure and if they fail to respond go to Comreg. Comreg havent got any authority regarding Meteors response or action but they will make them send you a formal response to your complaint. it took me over a month and a half and many phone calls etc but I got my situation sorted in the end. its very frustrating though.

Advertisement