Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone doing TV, Radio and New Media Broadcasting?

• 10-12-2011 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Anybody here doing tv radio and media broadcasting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭KarmaBaby

I'm in third year Interactive Multimedia. We have a common first year and share a lot of same courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

KarmaBaby wrote: »
    I'm in third year Interactive Multimedia. We have a common first year and share a lot of same courses.

What are the TV and Media students like? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 paddy l

im 3rd year tvrb. all the 4 years get on pretty well together. you get to meet lots of great people through societies like the radio society. http://www.bangfm.com/en/

Personally i have met great people in the media courses. its good to have people in multimedia, web design, tv, radio, and music production together. in the future when your looking for a job it'll be great to have all these contacts.

any other q's just ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Knobbly

I'm TV Radio Y2 and I'm great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Knobbly wrote: »
    I'm TV Radio Y2 and I'm great :)

I also heard that they're all extremely modest! :D

• Advertisement

Opinicus wrote: »
    I also heard that they're all extremely modest! :D
    Not only are we modest but we're the best at it too :)

Not only are we modest but we're the best at it too :)

INDEEED! (waves arm) :D

Thanks for answering! :)

Do they always have the full 20 places each year for the TRB course?

Oh whats the ratio for lads to girls?

alleystar wrote: »
    Thanks for answering! :)

Do they always have the full 20 places each year for the TRB course?

Oh whats the ratio for lads to girls?
    As far as I'm aware they have the 20 every year (21 in mine)

There was a good ratio of M/F couldn't say exactly but near 50 50. Also a good mature/CAO ratio.

As far as I'm aware they have the 20 every year (21 in mine)

There was a good ratio of M/F couldn't say exactly but near 50 50. Also a good mature/CAO ratio.

Are most of the classes held in lecture halls or just classrooms?

Is there much practical work in first year?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really interested in the course!:)

• Advertisement

alleystar wrote: »
    Are most of the classes held in lecture halls or just classrooms?

Is there much practical work in first year?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really interested in the course!:)

its pretty much 50:50 between classrooms and lecture halls especially in first year as you'll be studing the same subjects as music tech. from second year on its more classroom based.

Talking to first years, this year the course is heavily practical based. If you ever want to come down for a day to come into a class or two or even see the radio, tv, and recording studio just contact the college. PM if you want an email address of the person to contact. There were a few people who did that last year. you'll get to talk to a few first years too and find out all about the course!

Hope thats some use to you. back to video editing for me. the joys of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mrkylechristy

Hi, I am only new to this thing, but I was just wondering if there is anyone who transfered into the second year of tv, radio and new media broadcasting, from a plc? If so how did you find the application process and would you advise applying for the course? what are the good and bad parts of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

You might have more luck in this thread here seeing as some TVM&RB have already posted in there:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056479305

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mrkylechristy

thank you :)

thank you :)
    Sorry havent a clue. Everyone in our year stated in 1st year.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

I just heard you have to study a language in this course. How far do you go into detail?

I've never done German, and I don't plan to. I like Irish but I had to drop down to OL for the leaving- is OL standard accepted? Are the lecturers any good at Irish?

silversky wrote: »
    I just heard you have to study a language in this course. How far do you go into detail?

I've never done German, and I don't plan to. I like Irish but I had to drop down to OL for the leaving- is OL standard accepted? Are the lecturers any good at Irish?
    No a launguage is not mandatory, you can choose to do one in 2nd year if you like.
    I don't do one myself so cant say how good the lecturers are.

No a launguage is not mandatory, you can choose to do one in 2nd year if you like.
    I don't do one myself so cant say how good the lecturers are.

Thank God!

Just generally about Tralee. Is the college/ students nice? I was down awhile back and I really liked it, but I didn't get a good sense of the college since it was a Saturday.

The one thing I'm worried about is the accomodation. I hardly saw any near the North Campus really. And it's out so far from the train station, is there any bus links into town from the college?

Oh and for first year, are all the multimedia and music course put in together with ye?

Thank God!

Just generally about Tralee. Is the college/ students nice? I was down awhile back and I really liked it, but I didn't get a good sense of the college since it was a Saturday.

The one thing I'm worried about is the accomodation. I hardly saw any near the North Campus really. And it's out so far from the train station, is there any bus links into town from the college?

Oh and for first year, are all the multimedia and music course put in together with ye?

Ya there is a good vibe in the college and plenty of mid week nights out and the like.
    Have a look here for the accomadation, there are a few place fairly close. Also there is a bus running hourly to and from the college. It stops plenty of times along the way to pick people up. It only runs during college times tho so you'll have to cab or walk into town for nights out.
    We all do the same subjects in 1st year but we are still separated into our respective classes.

Ya there is a good vibe in the college and plenty of mid week nights out and the like.
    Have a look here for the accomadation, there are a few place fairly close. Also there is a bus running hourly to and from the college. It stops plenty of times along the way to pick people up. It only runs during college times tho so you'll have to cab or walk into town for nights out.
    We all do the same subjects in 1st year but we are still separated into our respective classes.

Thanks very much.

Are all the 20 places usually filled? Oh and for the work experience in third year- does the college offer you somewhere or do you apply yourself?

• Advertisement

Thanks very much.

Are all the 20 places usually filled? Oh and for the work experience in third year- does the college offer you somewhere or do you apply yourself?

As far as I'm aware they do fill the 20 every year.
    You have to get your own work experience but I think there is a limited amount available in the College if you cant sort anything yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

Next year, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

hacx wrote: »
    Next year, fingers crossed.

Time won't be long passing by :eek: :)

Hey guys I need some help!

I don't really know how to word this but I'm sure ye'll get the message.

Is this course something you have to stick out for the four years to get any degree or is it an upgrade course where you get the level 6 after 2 years, the level 7 after 3 and the level 8 in year 4?

I can't find the answer anywhere, all the booklets just say level 8!

Hey guys I need some help!

I don't really know how to word this but I'm sure ye'll get the message.

Is this course something you have to stick out for the four years to get any degree or is it an upgrade course where you get the level 6 after 2 years, the level 7 after 3 and the level 8 in year 4?

I can't find the answer anywhere, all the booklets just say level 8!

What you're talking about is an "ab anitio" degree which can run for either 3 or for years. (3 years would be level 7)

These courses aren't ab anitio and you won't get any award until you complete the four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Looks like a straight 4 year course, sorry if it is not the answer you were hoping for :(

To be honest, anything less than a level 8 BA Degree is not worth doing these days.

If after year 1 you feel you want to switch between one of the three courses that option is usually available and some students have done that.

Advertisement