Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'll have a BQ please Bob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I usually measure out 120 steps and that tends to be very close to 100 metres.

Or you could go to a track :)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Thursday 16th - 12miles avg speed 9.12 with avg HR 139
    This was tough. Didn't enjoy it at all. Was happy to have it finished with (uphill, into wind and drizzle). After reading some of the Donadea logs/reports today, I feel like I need to HTFU on runs like this. the HR indicates it was comfortable, but mentally and legs it wasn't (probably mental struggles affected the legs more than anything).

Sun 19th - 21.2 miles avg speed 8.48 Avg HR 143.
    Good LSR. Out on my tod for this as wasn't out of bed in time to meet any boardsie who were meeting up. Ran from Clonsilla down to the park, one loop in the park, along the quays for a bit, up through Stoneybatter and out the Navan Road. No major struggles or niggles. I've been trying to finish these long runs strong, so the last three miles were 8.32, 8.03, 8.03. HR popped up obviously with these but was in around 162/3 for last three miles. Would have preferred to have had the company as miles seem to click by quicker in the group runs, but as the Barca run will be on my tod, it's no harm to do a long run with my demons on best behaviour!

Weekly total 57.6

Monday 20th - 11 miles @ 8.53 (HR 138)
    Was suprised to see the speed at that average. Any time I looked at the watch it seemed over 9. Legs definitely felt previous days 21, but feel good to have followed up a LSR with a medium. Calf got pretty tight going up a small hill, but I think it was really just my body telling me to take things easy, so I obeyed! HR monitor showed some weird ups and downs in last few miles. Bobbing up an down between 130 and 140... not consistent. Pace and gradient were pretty level so maybe it is just a glitch.
    Recovery run tomorrow so will take that nice and handy

Tue 21st 6.3 miles @9.23 (HR avg 132)
    Nice handy recovery run. Only thing different about this was running from work out towards Clontarf and back. Nice to mix up the route

Wed 22nd 10.2 miles @8.04 (Avg HR 158)
    Plan had included 10 with 6 at LT. didn't quite happen like that. Was never quite at LT, but the full 10 were a bit quicker than a medium run. the run was into the wind uphill home from work so wasn't an easy 10 by any means

Thurs 23rd 5.1 @ 8.24
    Mixed up the route again and went from work down past Lansdown Rd and back up towards IFSC again

Sat 25th 21 miles @8.28 (avg HR 146)
    The last 20 miler in the plan as I'm doing Bohermeen next weekend, so chopped the plan around. Wasn't sure how much of this to do at PMP, so ended up doing the whole lot at PMP! Down in Kilkenny and it was a beautiful day for a run, sun was out, almost no wind. Did two 10 mile loops of the town and added another one on at the end for good measure. Bottle of Powerade after first loop but other than that no water or gels. It all went quite well apart from one mile where I wasn't feeling too clever. I think it was really just the blood sugars dropping back down after the Powerade's impact had dissipated. Was hanging to pass a shop/petrol station for a sugary drink, but by the time I got to one I was feeling fine again, so kept motoring. Really pleased with this run. A few weeks back I did 16 @ PMP and had an average HR of 157, whereas todays run was nearly 10 beats lower.

Total for the week 53.3 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Annie Dazzling Self-righteousness

Best of luck in Barca, I am heading over myself. Done it last year and its a great marathon. Judging by your training you are well on target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Great running there man!
    If that was all done at PMP then you are looking great for Barca!!
    Although perhaps the most likely thing to go wrong now could be weather conditions...will you be taking it a bit handier over the first few miles if its warm?
    Other than that you have the training in the bag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good running there.
    I hope you don't go out looking for 4 hrs, you really would not be doing yourself justice looking for that time!! Training paces and low HR suggests you are in 3:30ish shape.

belcarra wrote: »
    Great running there man!
    If that was all done at PMP then you are looking great for Barca!!
    Although perhaps the most likely thing to go wrong now could be weather conditions...will you be taking it a bit handier over the first few miles if its warm?
    Other than that you have the training in the bag!

Cheers
    Hopefully at this stage the only things that can go wrong really are picking up an injury, illness the week of the race and as you say the weather.
    I really hope the weather should affect the 4 hour goal if I'm honest. Race starts early enough so I think the weather might only start to be a factor after 13/15 miles, so I don't want to blow up on the last few miles. So I think any easing off might happen then rather than early. If it's so hot at 8.30 start that I need to ease off at that stage, I could be in trouble!

The way training has been going I think I should really be able to get under 3.50. If it's a scorcher in Barca, I might just make sure of the 4 hour goal.

+1 to what Meno says. If the weather is fair then you should definitely be in the 3:3x timeframe, but as you say if it starts getting hot then just be sensible and keep the effort at a sustainable level. Easily said now but the important thing is to follow it through on the day!

menoscemo wrote: »
    Good running there.
    I hope you don't go out looking for 4 hrs, you really would not be doing yourself justice looking for that time!! Training paces and low HR suggests you are in 3:30ish shape.
    Cheers Meno... I reckon today's pacing was good. If I could do that on the day of the race for 26.2 that would bring me around 3.42/5 (with the extra distance added in). If I feel good on the day and everything is going to plan and I can after 16/18/20 miles if I want to push it. Weather might come in to play at that stage though too.

I know I'm just going to be a bit cautious on the day (bloody accountant not taking chances!). I've failed to break 4 a few times so I really want to make sure of that. But I think under 3.50 is acheivable. Anything better than that would be a bonus

If I can get this monkey off my back then there should be plenty more opp's later in the year to chase a time

• Advertisement

Cheers Meno... I reckon today's pacing was good. If I could do that on the day of the race for 26.2 that would bring me around 3.42/5 (with the extra distance added in). If I feel good on the day and everything is going to plan and I can after 16/18/20 miles if I want to push it. Weather might come in to play at that stage though too.

I know I'm just going to be a bit cautious on the day (bloody accountant not taking chances!). I've failed to break 4 a few times so I really want to make sure of that. But I think under 3.50 is acheivable. Anything better than that would be a bonus

If I can get this monkey off my back then there should be plenty more opp's later in the year to chase a time

Totally get the cautios thing. I blew up badly on my first marathon trying to go sub 4 and was ultra cautious in my 2nd.

Still though, we worked out you should easily be able to hold 160 hr for the race, (that's a very conservative number) so if you keep under that for the first 15 or so miles there should be no risk of blowing up and you could still leave yourself a chance of a much better time than you are targetting!!

Best of luck in Barca, I am heading over myself. Done it last year and its a great marathon. Judging by your training you are well on target.
    Cheers all seems to be tipping along pretty well, so only waiting for something to go wrong!
    How are you shaping up yourself? Whats your target

Tue 28th 11 miles @ 8.23 (Avg HR 146)
    A run home from work that involved Knockmaroon. Tried to keep the pace a little faster than I would normally run a mid week Medium slow run. Can't rem anything remarkable about this one

Missed a recovery run on Wed... oh well

Thur 1st 9 miles @ 7.54 (avg HR 151)
    This 9 miles included 4 x 1200m intervals. Did the intervals @7 min mile pace which is almost unheard for me to be running at. First was toughest to get my lungs used to the pace. The rest were testing without be burning my lungs. Off the back of being able for this pace I decided I'd have a stab @ 1.40 for the half on Sunday

Sat 3rd
    13 miles @ 8.50 (Avg HR 139)
    This wasn't a great run. Indulged in sneaky post work pints on Friday, so wasn't in the whole of my health. Anyhoo went out first few miles were fine. Stopped in Chapelizod for a drink after 6/7 miles. Up Knockmaroon, and a couple of miles later I wasn't feeling great (light headed). Stopped to walk for a bit and think in hindsight I was right too. think I just got a bit dehydrated. Once I got home was just worn out. As it turns out I couldn't get enough fluids in to me. Was like I'd eaten a plate of streaky bacon so between previously nights after effects and the run I'd just dehydrated.

Sun 4th - Bohermeen half marathon 13.1 miles 1.37.22 - (Avg pace 7.24, Avg HR 164)
    Delighted with this run. Being able for pace during mid week intervals gave me some confidence to give a 1.40 half a crack. Decided to head out at 7.30 pace and see how I was handling it. To be honest I was 8 miles in before I really felt I wasn't running a comfortable pace. A bit of effort to keep the miles at this pace. Miles ticked by. Had it in my head I would put the foot down again if I felt good, but wasn't sure when, as it happened I played a bit safe and didn't spped it up until there was a mile or so to go. Got pace down to 7 minute mile and was just focusing on the next runner in front and catching them, nothing like being competitive. Crossed the line in a hial shower which was nice!
    Anyway delighted with the time. The course which had a couple of rises for crossing the N3 is still pretty fast. Weather was good for it so everything was in place for a PB really.
    that time is 7 and half minutes better than my previous PB from December's half in Waterford

Miles for the week was 46, which is a little lower than the plan due to the missed recovery run

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done yourself, fantastic time!

Great running there and a brilliant time...well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Good going today, never saw you out there. Looks like the training is paying off in spades.

P.S., the photo's lovely but i'm sure thats a smile not a grimace of pain:D

Mon 5th I was due to dp a recovery run, but when I woke up my achiles was very stiff. Achiles had given me a lot of problems around this time last year to the extent I stopped running for 3 months to try and get it sorted so I was a bit concerned. Heel lifts during the day didn't loosen it up much, so bailed on recovery run and went to the gym. Bike and cross trainer warmed everything up before I did a slow mile on threadmill. After that got busy stretching and seemed to have helped no end.

Tue 6th 9 miles @ 8.38 pace (Avg HR 146)
    Can't remember a huge amount about this but I knew I didn't want to go too hard as it's the pace that seems to upset the achiles

Thurs 8th 9 miles @8.01 (avg HR 144)
    Most of my midweek runs of 9 miles plus are after work which means uphill (and more often than not into the wind). Knew I'd be working late, so decided to get my run done in the AM. So a net downhill run into work, with the wind! Hence the low HR compared with previous Tue even though it was quicker

Fri 9th 16 miles @7.56 (avg HR 150)
    My half time in Bohermeen is suggesting I could acheive something around 3.30 but to be honest none of my training for Barca on PMP runs has been at this pace, so I think I'm a bit unprepared. Decided to do this 16 mile run @ 8.00 m/m pace and see how it went. Ran from home into town and back out which meant first half down hill, second half uphill. Cross wind so no head wind to deal with for any great time.
    Overall I held the pace fine. HR max was 164 and that was in the toughest uphill part. Avg HR for last mile was 153 so it hadn't risen massively over the run. All that said, on finishing I would have been too confident of holding the pace for another 10 miles. Not supposed to be easy I guess!

Sun 11th
    Recovery run 5miles @ 8.40 (not really recovery speed)

Missed interval work this week, but the long run was at PMP rather than LSR

Weekly total 39 miles

Taper week
    Tue 13th - 5 miles @ 8.07
    Wed 14th 9 mile run home from work (uphill) @ 8.21 (HR 146)
    Thu 15th 9 mile run into work (downhill) @ 8.07 (HR 146)
    Nothing memorable about any of these

Sat 17th 9.3 miles @ 8.50 (HR 142) Basically the last LSR of the 12 week plan. I had over cooked the miles during the week, so took three miles off the plan to compensate. Off recent runs the HR looks a little high for the pace. Not sure why.

In addition to the above... My route had me at the running track in Kilkenny after 9 miles, so decided to include 10x 100 at that stage. Never find these easy. First 4/5 had me jogging the recovery 100m between the sprints. But I was fairly banjaxed that I started walking the recovery 100m for the later few. Half mile jog home after that to warm down.

total for the week 32 plus intervals

Another light training week ahead with the marathon on Sunday

Mad busy in work this week so not so much done. Lucky it's final week of taper.

Got 9 miles done yesterday onthe way home. 7 miles comfortable and then the final two miles at just under 8 min miles (which might be PMP). So 9 @ 8.24 average.

Gym after work today and plan on doing two miles @ PMP again amongst bike and cross trainer and a good old stretch to finish off.

Then it's a flight to Barca in the morning and attempt no 6 at a good marathon on Sunday. Fingers crossed it'll all go fine. I've prepared properly and I just need to execute a solid run on Sunday. Looknig forward to it now. Although I know when I wake up on Sunday and line up at the start I'll go through the 'why am I doing this', 'four hours of running' routine! Here's hoping I'll have a PB that starts with a 3 cmoe Sunday afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

No bother to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good luck on Sunday, your training has been great, I'm sure you'll bag a nice pb

Best of luck man! Sub 4 will be no bother to you based on the runs in the park, it's simply a matter by how much!

Needless to say (But that won't stop me!) Do not go out too fast! Think of the first 10km or so as a training run back in the Park and keep to a pace that is almost too easy. Then push on as you like after that.
    The latest copy of Runner's World has an article comparing two NYC elites last November. The female hit off at an incredible pace and blew everyone else out of the water up until about half way when she started getting progressively slower and was passed. Mutai on the other hand kept it steady for the first half of the race along with a group of 6 others, but he was able to push on faster in the second half for a course record by 2m37s!

It might be worth a look at in the airport while you're waiting for your flight - Should help to focus the mind!!

As I say though, no bother to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Best of luck this weekend Boy Wonder. Reading your log, you've made great progress this year. Hope you get the time you deserve.

belcarra wrote: »
    Do not go out too fast!

That's the trick alright. The adage about pace being the killer not the distance is very true. The balance between pushing hard enough and pushing too hard is so fine, and because we don't run the 26.2 too distance very often, it's difficult to know where the line is. To complicate it more is that I've improved quite a bit this year so I have less of an idea of where the threshold is. Here's hoping I don't make an ass of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Annie Dazzling Self-righteousness

Good luck chief lets hope we all hit our targets.

best of luck. Don't even think about sub4 as that will just hold you back, you are much better! Keep it conversational and run by feel. Kick on in the second half.

Finished Barca in 1.38.32. Delighted with myself. Thirty odd minutes off DCM in Oct '11. Nice reward for the training. Will give a better spiel on how it went when I get back. Think there's a pint with my name on it!

3:38 i'm guessing? :D

Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

menoscemo wrote: »
    3:38 i'm guessing? :D

Well done.

Woo hoo. You well shattered the 4 (I'm guessing 3.38 also!). Well deserved... The training has definitely paid off :)

Advertisement