Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Midband Provider Onwave( Tooway off new Ka Sat)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭long_b

LoTwan wrote: »

I could have applied for and waited around for the NBS (for which they have a modified package on the KA SAT) but I don't want to sit around waiting for 6 months only to qualify for the lowest package.
    Aha - in the first post Sponge Bob (genuflects) reckons that this service wouldn't be available on NBS (I'm assuming this applies to RBS too) because of the Sliding Time Window restrictions. Do you have any further details ?
    There is reference to toowaydirect.co.uk earlier in this thread and I didn't come back to their pricing (because I was working on my phone). They are frontloading installation charges and having customers buy the equipment (onwave own my dish & satellite router) to keep the monthly cost down.
    I worked out that for me after all the costs (getting someone else to install, equipment, delivery) etc it worked out 14 euros different to the Digiweb package. Not worth the hassle I reckon, unless you're installing yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

long_b wrote: »
    Aha - in the first post Sponge Bob (genuflects) reckons that this service wouldn't be available on NBS (I'm assuming this applies to RBS too) because of the Sliding Time Window restrictions. Do you have any further details ?

When I spoke to the guy in Onwave yesterday he said that they are modifying the package with regards to the sliding time window (I brought it up because of Sponge Bob's original post) so that it complies with the NBS requirements. That is all the info I have for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Apogee

@LoTwan - just out of interest, did you erect the pole yourself for the dishes? It's not actually a live ESB pole?

I put the pole up myself. It was the original ESB pole that was decommissioned when the subterranean supply went in. We recycled it from it's previous position to it's new home on the boundary. We didn't take off the ESB notice purely because I didn't get around to it ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I take it the guy wire is for the pole in the hedge just behind the dish?

• Advertisement

Yes, the guy belongs to the ESB Networks pole on the other side of the boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

The wireless router is a "wireless router with 2 phone ports". The hook up is the fact that the router is in the attic & I don't have 2 phone docks which means the dock that I do have has to be in the attic which is not conducive to charging :D

The satellite modem is a surfbeam 2 rm4200

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭adne

how is onwave going for you, i am looking at getting it installed

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

I would like to know from someone who has Onwave, what they think of it and what are the negatives about the system?

• Advertisement

freddiew wrote: »
    I would like to know from someone who has Onwave, what they think of it and what are the negatives about the system?

PM me if u want details, I have it installed two months now

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

adne wrote: »
    PM me if u want details, I have it installed two months now

Why not share your views here so we may all benefit from your experience?

pat13wx wrote: »
    Why not share your views here so we may all benefit from your experience?

ok - I have 10 Meg down, 2 Meg up unlimited installed the last 2 months, it has worked excellently, it dropped 2 days early this month when there was extreme high winds other than that i am getting circa 8.5 - 10 meg down and 1.3 - 2 meg up consistently.

ok - I have 10 Meg down, 2 Meg up unlimited installed the last 2 months, it has worked excellently, it dropped 2 days early this month when there was extreme high winds other than that i am getting circa 8.5 - 10 meg down and 1.3 - 2 meg up consistently.

Thanks for that.

Unlimited? Have you an unlimited download package? I didn't know there there was such an option with SBB.

pat13wx wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Unlimited? Have you an unlimited download package? I didn't know there there was such an option with SBB.

Special offer if u sign up between nov 2011 and Feb 2012 they give unlimited until Feb 2014

Special offer if u sign up between nov 2011 and Feb 2012 they give unlimited until Feb 2014

This sounds amazing. Thanks. I will contact them tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Any reviews on how onwave is working out for you?
    Folks eircom " broadband" ain't the best would this be any better?
    I know this ain't broadband as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 transr0ute

Ladies ?gents Ive been following the different threads over time re onwave... looking for up to-date info as they have special offer till the end of may '12

I am currently using 'line of site' BB (nine tree hill) which is crap... ok in the day 70% of the time but after 9pm its gone!! and can be out for a week at a time with alleged upgrades €36 pm inc

I would look at a few video's a month, post lots of pictures to FB, 200 emails a month, two films and family surfing the internet for a total of 8 hours a day

So what's the quality of service for internet please... thank you! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bealtine

transr0ute wrote: »
    Ladies ?gents Ive been following the different threads over time re onwave... looking for up to-date info as they have special offer till the end of may '12

I am currently using 'line of site' BB (nine tree hill) which is crap... ok in the day 70% of the time but after 9pm its gone!! and can be out for a week at a time with alleged upgrades €36 pm inc

I would look at a few video's a month, post lots of pictures to FB, 200 emails a month, two films and family surfing the internet for a total of 8 hours a day

So what's the quality of service for internet please... thank you! :):)

Read this first:
    http://www.onwave.ie/fair_usage_policy
    and then decide if satellite is suitable for watching videos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Trust to goolge sat bb and this tread is one of the top pages!

Really feedup of my old bb setup. Barely get 1mb download and my router is on the way out.

Looking at sat bb for the Cavan area. On wave and digiweb seem to be the only two who can sort me out.

Wired or USB dongles are a non runner. I'd use about 2gb per month but that would rise if I got decent download speed.

I understand the higher costs, download limits etc but from a customer service point of view, set up and over all service who is better?

I'm going to call both today but thought i would ask wise aul boardsies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Trust to goolge sat bb and this tread is one of the top pages!

Really feedup of my old bb setup. Barely get 1mb download and my router is on the way out.

Looking at sat bb for the Cavan area. On wave and digiweb seem to be the only two who can sort me out.

Wired or USB dongles are a non runner. I'd use about 2gb per month but that would rise if I got decent download speed.

I understand the higher costs, download limits etc but from a customer service point of view, set up and over all service who is better?

I'm going to call both today but thought i would ask wise aul boardsies.

Really can't say that much as I don't use satellite myself but as I look out the window the two houses up the road have onwave and if I look out another window I can just see the onwave dish on the house down from us.

The latter is used 3 days a week for business (the 8Mbps download package I believe) and they seen happy with it. The two houses above me are recent installs on a cheaper package and then are getting speedtests of around 6Mbps or so I'm told ;).

BUT tbh I don't believe you are having issues browsing if you get nearly 1Mbps from a fixed line connection. Its not brilliant but I can browse away with much lower speeds (normally below .5mbps) for me the low speed restricts downloading and videos more than anything. If speed really is your issue then you will probably use a lot more the 2Gbs if you get a faster connection.

Thanks for the reply.

My current setup is a 3G sim card and an old 3G booster rooter with an extension ariel as high up as I can get it. Speed ranges from dial up speed to maybe 1mb. Main reason is the router is cutting out and somedays we have nothing at all. To replace the router is almost €150 euro and at this stage I'm on my 3rd one, build quality is crap. My set up is grand if and when it works, just fed up with it cutting out. Specially when your updating software, downloading music or trying to watch any video longer that a few mins.

Agree with better speed your usage increases. don't need the tv or phone packages. They did try flog that to me when i called them earlier.

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the reply.

My current setup is a 3G sim card and an old 3G booster rooter with an extension ariel as high up as I can get it. Speed ranges from dial up speed to maybe 1mb. Main reason is the router is cutting out and somedays we have nothing at all. To replace the router is almost €150 euro and at this stage I'm on my 3rd one, build quality is crap. My set up is grand if and when it works, just fed up with it cutting out. Specially when your updating software, downloading music or trying to watch any video longer that a few mins.

Agree with better speed your usage increases. don't need the tv or phone packages. They did try flog that to me when i called them earlier.

Thanks for the reply.

A wireless TP-Link or Edimax 3G router should be less than 30quid (UK) delivered - Amazon.co.uk - provide your own dongle, just don't use the 3 e353 HiLink dongle as they don't work.

Cheers, I'll have a look at those.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Nexarz

I'm looking to get this installed too.

Has anyone tried it for gaming? I do quite a bit of online gaming and a low ping is kinda necessary.

Nexarz wrote: »
    I'm looking to get this installed too.

Has anyone tried it for gaming? I do quite a bit of online gaming and a low ping is kinda necessary.

afaik best case would be 700ms so think you can forget it, they even say somewhere in the FAQ or sales info its not for gamming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bealtine

Nexarz wrote: »

Not a hope of anything approaching realtime performance on satellite, latency is over 600ms sometimes as high a second...painful for games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭EdRedbird

Yes anyone please
    MTL UPC refuses to pull the last 300m cable
    Eircom/Vodafone sucks (operator it sais piratebay so you know its illegal - I am downloading public domain stuff LOL)

And Imagine... well 3seconds yes 3000ms ping times to google and no service

So yes considering 20MB for €54 a month

Anything on there line-sharing contention rates

• Registered Users Posts: 13 UltanMolloy

Well - re: Onwave - I've learned there's no limit to how slow your connection can go, and mine has been so slow at times that I couldn't open a browser to run a speed test. Onwave's response was "use it off peak" and "we're not responsible for the satellite service" - well they're responsible for selling it to you!
    Disaster of a broadband service and at ridiculous expense - never again.
    My advice - stay AWAY from OnWave!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 UltanMolloy

Advertisement