Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Newcastlewest.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

johnROSS wrote: »
    They should blow up NCW and start again from scratch.

(and Charleville for good measure)

On the whole Charleville is a much better town than NCW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

johnROSS wrote: »
    They should blow up NCW and start again from scratch.

(and Charleville for good measure)

I nominate Rathkeale for this "blowing up and starting again" scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Yep I would think Chaleville is a much nicer town than Newcastle West. Granted, its not the nicest place either and like practically every other regional town that doesn't have a lot of industry its being seriously hammered by the downturn in the economy but its far from the worst place in the world.

NCW is my local town and I don't like having to say it but it has become a seriously depressing place. It gets worse evey time I drive into it. It seems devoid of any character or spirit these times and its horrible to see the amount of vacant retail units and houses. Any young people left in the town are mostly of the scobie variety it would seem.

Pity, because it was a nice vibrant and thriving town when I was a younger chap and I ain't totally over the hill yet either by any means;)

Yep I would think Chaleville is a much nicer town than Newcastle West. Granted, its not the nicest place either and like practically every other regional town that doesn't have a lot of industry its being seriously hammered by the downturn in the economy but its far from the worst place in the world.

NCW is my local town and I don't like having to say it but it has become a seriously depressing place. It gets worse evey time I drive into it. It seems devoid of any character or spirit these times and its horrible to see the amount of vacant retail units and houses. Any young people left in the town are mostly of the scobie variety it would seem.

Pity, because it was a nice vibrant and thriving town when I was a younger chap and I ain't totally over the hill yet either by any means;)

I remember NCW in the late 90s, it was good craic back then. Pure dead now, nasty atmosphere on nights out, destroyed by a very large scumbag element.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

you most definitely have more of a chance of getting stabbed or beat up in ncw at night than in limerick city. Also, Charleville is depressing. If it were a colour, it would be grey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

That's a statement in itself... :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭diol07

uglytruth wrote: »
    diol07 wont it be lovely to see maiden st all done up to the nines and every county councilor capable of operating a scissors and smiling at a camera just to house those same scumbags in lovely new apartments over empty retail units.
    County council have nothing to do with any of those units on Maiden Street, they're all privately owned. If scumbags end up there it'll be because a local rented the accommodation to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Popz

Hang on - all you people putting down NCW for lack of spirit or anything to do - have ye not been around for the past two West Fest's? Taste of WestFest and the recent Winterfest?
    These initatives have brought 1000's to the town over the festivities and really helped develop a good community spirit in the area.
    Rome wasn't built in a day and granted the town had gone down over recent years - but look around ye and ye will see that locals are pulling together in a bid to bring back some of the vibrancy within the town!!!

Popz wrote: »
    Hang on - all you people putting down NCW for lack of spirit or anything to do - have ye not been around for the past two West Fest's? Taste of WestFest and the recent Winterfest?
    These initatives have brought 1000's to the town over the festivities and really helped develop a good community spirit in the area.
    Rome wasn't built in a day and granted the town had gone down over recent years - but look around ye and ye will see that locals are pulling together in a bid to bring back some of the vibrancy within the town!!!

Of there are good initatives but the core of the issue is NCW has gone down the toilet in terms of business and nightlife. There has been a massive influx of scum in recent years and that has affected the town in a very negative way, that is an issue that needs to be tackled. Another major issue is Maiden street, it is like something from the third world, the state of it! rough as anything, scumbags crawling all over it.

NCW needs a long term plan to save the town. A couple of festivals won't save it. I dread to think what it will be like in another few years if the rot isn't stopped and the scumbaggery goes unchecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Popz

You obviously have ideas and energy - maybe instead of sitting at your computer pointing out all the things that are wrong with the town, get involved and try and make a difference. Better use of energy than poo pooing the work that is being done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

As a Newcomer to NCW, I must say I am very dissapointed in the barrage of negativity from local people about their hometown on this forum. I bought my house in NCW in 2009, moved my young family from Dooradoyle. And while I am very proud of my city and Dooradoyle at the time Dooradoyle (near the industrial estate) had all of the disadvantages of living in an urban area along with all the disadvantages of living in the country... When I moved to Newcastle West the first thing that struck me was the openness and friendlyness of the people there. My children have thrived there and I simply feel safe and at home there. I am not nieve, I know it has its fair share of issues, but my God the locals, the Demense, the Pubs and their prices, the Playground, (Raheen / Dooradoyle area as far as I know are still waiting on their long overdue playground)the fact that you have almost everything on your door step.. Not to mention West Fest.... C'mon guys/gals where's your community spirit??? If you keep talking down your town, then down it will saty... If you were raised there you were very lucky... yes maybe it has changed, slipped a bit.. but the heart is still there if you look... :)

Advertisement