Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D.I.Y Hair dye

• 25-02-2012 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi folks,
    I have to have my roots done every three weeks now and I just can't afford to have it done in the Hair Salon anymore. Trouble is when I tried to do it myself, my hair turned out very dry :eek: and the hairdresser said it was because I did it myself.

Can anyone recommend a hair dye product that is easy to apply (I have to do it myself) and won't dry out my hair. I got highlights in the last time thinking that they might make the grey tramlines less noticeable - didn't work though.

Appreciate any help and advice you have to offer. By the way, my hair is shoulder length.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Elle179

What colour is your hair and what dye did you use that dried it out? Also did you dye your hair all over or just do the roots?

All I use is home dye, have never paid for a colour in the hairdressers but have never had problems with dry hair as I condition it well. I have to do mine every 4-6 weeks, but only dye the roots and leave the rest of my hair. I use the schwarzkopf xxl colour in the blue box, some people dont like it becuase its a permanent colour and can be damaging but has never troubled me, its the only hair dye I use.

Do you condition your hair everytime you wash it? Aussie miracle have great products for dry hair, I use their spray miracle hair insurance leave in conditioner everytime i wash it, and use their 3 minute miracle conditioning treatment every week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

the hairdresser said it was because I did it myself

course they did.... that's so you'd keep paying them to do it.... can't really recommend anything unless you answer Elle179's questions, but the dye she uses would be the one I'd use too :)

it's NOT down to the fact that you did it yourself that it dried out your hair, it's either down to the product that you picked, the way you used it, or something totally unrelated....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 popsicklegirl

Thanks for the replies girls :)

What colour is your hair and what dye did you use that dried it out? Also did you dye your hair all over or just do the roots?
    My natural colour is grey but the colour I have in is a medium brown with some highlights. I used http://www.clairol.ie/niceneasy-foam/ all over but my hair felt like straw afterwards .
    Do you condition your hair everytime you wash it?
    Yes I use http://joico.com/products and sometimes Elvive for coloured hair.I have also used Argan oil which gives a lovely shine and softness :)

I really need something that is easy to apply so as I don't miss any bits.

I've read a lot of bad reviews of the new foam hair dyes (not brand specific - just in general) & have a couple of friends who've tried them & found them awful....

http://www.clairol.ie/root-touch-up/nice-easy-when-to-use-it/

nice & easy do a root touch up dye that comes with a handy little brush which I've found very easy to use, (I've one white stripe of hair at the front of my head & the very odd grey throughout), but I've found this little brush very easy for applying the dye. I also find dyes that you apply to dry hair much easier to use than those that you apply to wet hair, but as I wouldn't be looking for the same amount of grey coverage as you, I'm not sure that me recommending a specific dye would be of much help.... the above are just general hints, from my own diy hair colouring :)

if your hair tends to be dry, or you find it dry after the next time you colour it, leave your conditioning treatment in for about half an hour & wrap your hair in cling film / a plastic bag, & then cover with a towel - the heat from the cling film / bag'll help ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Can I just add a little warning that it's very difficult to go back to salon colour after home hair dye. Usually they'll have to strip the colour out (or cleanse the hair as they call it these days). I paid almost €200 to get this done about 18 months ago and I've never touched home dye since.

There are often groupon offers for hairdressers if that would help with the cost.

But if you are colouring your hair at home or otherwise condition it with conditioning masks or treatments. About once a week I'll put one on and leave it for half an hour while I'm iorning or watching tv or before I make my phone calls then wash it off later.

I don't think the brand you use is important, I've used everything from cheap to really expensive. Just remember to actually use the products, not just buy them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭IHateMondays

Just to say I used that Clairol root dye and one week later I'm really happy with the results. I have a fair amount of grey on my hair parting and it covered it very well. Had an appointment booked in a salon but I found the staff so rude when I was making the booking that I cancelled. Delighted I did and saved a fortune. Reckon a salon would have charged me a cool 40 or 50 to just get roots done. They really make some savage mark up when you consider how cheap they can buy the due for. Does anyone know of a website that shows you how to mix professional colour? Great selection in Terrisales but they can't offer advice on how to mix colour with peroxide. Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

I used the Clairol root touch up for ages and never had a problem - it's very handy. But then I got a bit bored of my hair colour and got some highlights and now I can't use the root touch up over them because of the different colours. Someone told me there's a powder you can get to cover the grey roots as a quick fix until you can get to the hairdressers but I can't find any information on it - anyone ever heard of it?

I used the Clairol root touch up for ages and never had a problem - it's very handy. But then I got a bit bored of my hair colour and got some highlights and now I can't use the root touch up over them because of the different colours. Someone told me there's a powder you can get to cover the grey roots as a quick fix until you can get to the hairdressers but I can't find any information on it - anyone ever heard of it?

Its called Bumble and bumble - best for covering roots - the Bastise dry shampoo saids it does the same (as it's meant to have colour in it..) but it's useless. Pricey for a can of bumble and bumble.

there's a thing that looks like a lipstick too in mccabes in dundrum (dublin) that temporarily covers roots too - very limited colours & haven't tried it though

there's a thing that looks like a lipstick too in mccabes in dundrum (dublin) that temporarily covers roots too - very limited colours & haven't tried it though

Yep, I have that too (from Terrisales) and I thought it would be the ideal product for me to cover a few roots around my crease area. But, I find it very greasy to use. You have to slightly dampen the stick, which results on it going on wet and then drying. A nice greasy look ensues. The bumble and bumble works well but a. its expensive b. its hard to get an even spray, some can end up on your face.
    Which one are you going for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

I always use Nice & Easy, the original one though... Don't think those foam ones are great at all. I use the one in the chunky box - not the 6-8 shampoo wash-out or the 24 wash-out one - the permanent one. Always find it good, when you're rinsing it out, your hair feels actually ok, and there's a savage conditioner that comes with it. Actually, I think they have started to sell the conditioner as a stand-alone product now - I could swear I've seen it in the chemists!
    Worst one I used was I think 'Castings' - I swear, I could not get my fingers through my hair after rinsing! :eek: My hair felt like wet knitting-wool! Yuck! :mad:
    Heard good things about that Live XXL one though from friends, but as I have a savage amount of grey hair, it wasn't for me! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 superpig

sunnyside wrote: »
    Can I just add a little warning that it's very difficult to go back to salon colour after home hair dye. Usually they'll have to strip the colour out (or cleanse the hair as they call it these days). I paid almost €200 to get this done about 18 months ago and I've never touched home dye since.

Is this what the salon told you? I have done this many a time when funds have been low and gone to the salon then and never once had to get my hair stripped, and my hair is fine. :confused:

superpig wrote: »
    Is this what the salon told you? I have done this many a time when funds have been low and gone to the salon then and never once had to get my hair stripped, and my hair is fine. :confused:

me too - no issues what so ever going between the two....

Advertisement