Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Squeaky Wipers

• 24-11-2009 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi all, I drive a 06 Land cruiser and have had squeaky wipers for a while now. I thought that when I replaced them that the problem would go away but I put new ones on today and they are still squeaking. Any ideas on whats causing this? Its doing me nut in at the minute!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Try thoroughly cleaning both the wiper blades and the windscreen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Washing up liquid. Loads of it. Then some WD40

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Clean the windscreen and wipers with pure white vinegar. Put a cup of it in the washer reservoir too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cadey110

Magnus wrote: »
    Clean the windscreen and wipers with pure white vinegar. Put a cup of it in the washer reservoir too.

Cheers Magnus, I just put on new wipers today and am still having the squeaking. I will try the vinegar tho.,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Ya i'm having the same problem. I bet yours are Bosch?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cadey110

kermitpwee wrote: »
    Ya i'm having the same problem. I bet yours are Bosch?

Spot on. Did I make a bad choice? Picked them up in Halfords cos I didnt fancy the look of their own brand.

cadey110 wrote: »
    Spot on. Did I make a bad choice? Picked them up in Halfords cos I didnt fancy the look of their own brand.

Bosch aint cheap but every set I buy of them squeak! I try to avoid them if I can now.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭8vjohn

Did you change the blades or the whole arm?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,577 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

cadey110 wrote: »

I bought a set of their own brand wipers a few weeks back and haven't had any problems so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Bit of a long shot given that it's a reasonably new car; but is there any chance it could be the linkage/motor/etc? A friend of mine once tried several sets of blades before discovering that it was the one of the links squeaking. A bit of grease sorted it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ive never known a new set of blades to squeek as long as the angle of attack to windscreen is correct.
    Did you fit just the rubber or the actual blade?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Does the vinegar not rot the rubber on the blades??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I was just looking at a site offering usefull info, then in a section on car tips it had;
    To stop windscreen wipers squeaking rub a slice of apple onto the blades.
    Contributed by Andrew Atkinson

Taken from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Hinge the wipers off the windscreen. Start them up. Are they still squeaking?

I have always changed the arm. And no its not the wiper linkage.

Advertisement