Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Going it alone

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Yes you speak the truth, to be honest with you i have lived in Canada before and the last thing i want to do is go with the Irish enclave, i prefer not to mingle with too many Irish abroad to be honest and certainly not to join any clubs or ex pat societys with them, no problem meeting 1 or 2 Irish people here and there and trying to help them out but this big Irish community thing in a foreign country is not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 taraxxxxx

johnkerry wrote: »
    You will do more than survive. Especially if you both work. With kids , all schools have after care for a minimal fee. I was talking to a Canadian carpenter today.The company he works for , PCL are currently trying to recruit Irish people. Google them. They're a huge company all over Canada. Any one i know who came with kids has had the company they work for do all the paper work and pay for it. It's a huge step to take, I know. I'll ask around for you if you're serious.

we have contacted an immigration lawyer and they have sent us the contract but we havent signed yet!!! stephen is fully qualified with fas and has all his papers he,s 25 with 6 years experience , i will look up pcl thanks for that any other info you mite have would be really appreciated its hard finding people who are there and no what way to go about doing things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

taraxxxxx wrote: »
    we have contacted an immigration lawyer and they have sent us the contract but we havent signed yet!!! stephen is fully qualified with fas and has all his papers he,s 25 with 6 years experience , i will look up pcl thanks for that any other info you mite have would be really appreciated its hard finding people who are there and no what way to go about doing things

I think if you can hold off for a little bit you might find that a construction company is Saskatchewan might actually arrange your visa for you.
    Try contacting PCL and I would also try Graham Construction and Stuart Olsen. These are all big players in Western Canada Construction.

If you are getting the IEC working holiday visa then you will have NO problem whatsoever in finding work as a carpenter in Saskatchewan. The rate of pay is decent and the living expenses are manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Guzz

Hi there,

Hoping to move to Lloydminster in the summer. Got a job offer, and have submitted my sinp. Anyone know how long waiting times are?? Also my wife and 3 children are moving with me, would you recommend the Lloydminster area for families?

Anyone else heading there with families from Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 28 johnkerry

taraxxxxx wrote: »

IBH has given you some good advice. You shouldn't need a lawyer if you're doing the IEC program though. I would recommend doing the IEC program before going for all out migration. Less info required, less expense, less hassle amd less of a commitment if you don't like it here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Sparklebutt

I've lived in Saskatchewan all my life. If anyone has questions, feel free to send me a pm and I'll do my best to answer. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I've lived in Saskatchewan all my life. If anyone has questions, feel free to send me a pm and I'll do my best to answer. :)

Welcome to boards, lived in SK for a while a few years back, loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Sparklebutt

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 coolikerane

Hi,
    I'm 28, Irish, living in Saskatoon since October, working in construction industry. If you have any questions about the place just ask and I'll help as much as I can. :)

hey whats the carpentry work like out there? all shuttering or domsestic housing work?do you have to get a canadian licence to drive or will the irish 1 do? international licence maybe? gonna head out there on the IEC first before commiting to anything? u reckon no problem with work so for carpenters

• Registered Users Posts: 9 coolikerane

hey where abouts did you live? what happens say during winters for people who work outside? do they just wrap up well or something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭infowars.com

anyone know what the rate of income tax is on your wages there in canada?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

varies between provinces.
    Im in Ontario, and its broken down into CIT, CPP, and EI.
    Altogether, im paying about 22-23% in tax.

cheers mate 23 percent not too bad

thats not too bad

hey whats the carpentry work like out there? all shuttering or domsestic housing work?do you have to get a canadian licence to drive or will the irish 1 do? international licence maybe? gonna head out there on the IEC first before commiting to anything? u reckon no problem with work so for carpenters
    I'm not a carpenter but its all timber frame housing here, but I haven't seen much shuttering work. You can use ur irish license for 3 months but will have to do a test over here after that regardless of international license. There is a lot of work going on here. Should be no problem getting work for carpenters. get the IEC if you can, but they're running out fast I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

I was at the working abroad expo on sat too and Im heading over alone. Im an electrician and have been out of work for 3 years so im dying to get over and start working. There is a website called craiglist canada that I was looking on that gives you an idea of the price of rentals over there

They give you an idea of rental prices and provide serial killers the means to lure victims to their deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 5 andy carroll 9

Hi,
    I'm 28, Irish, living in Saskatoon since October, working in construction industry. If you have any questions about the place just ask and I'll help as much as I can. :)
    hi john i hope you can advise me im an electrician and thinking of relocating with my wife and three year old daughter do you think its a good place for a family ive seen ads proposing wages of 35 to 45 dollars an hour does this mean the cost of living is high thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 5 andy carroll 9

sorry again john i have applied to the bcca for info but not heard back yet is there any electrical companies you could suggest thanks again

Hi,

Cost of living is pretty similar to home I think. To get those wages you have to have a Canadian journey man ticket. You will have to register as a fourth year apprentice here, work for a year before you sit the exam to become a journey man. http://www.saskapprenticeship.ca/WORKING_IN_SASKATCHEWAN/

I think it would be a good place for a family,as long as you can adapt to the cold in the Winter.

Have a look at Alliance Energy, I think they may have been trying to recruit Irish people. Other than that you could have a look at saskjobs.ca to see all the companies that are hiring.

The bcca is for British Columbia, Saskatoon is in Saskatchewan. Different provinces have different rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Aisling Dublin

Hi all I'm just wondering if anyone could give some insight to moving to Saskatchewan, we're from Dublin my partner has his job lined up as a pipe fitter in vanscoy vault project I'm a hairdresser and we have a 6 year old son, we're in the middle of of our visa so in the next couple of weeks we hope to be there, we're just looking for tips or/and views on the place itself,

• Advertisement

https://www.facebook.com/?sk=app_2305272732_2392950137

Facebook page for irish in saskatoon....

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Aisling Dublin

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lellie

hi my partner has had a job offer and we are just waitin for contracts that were signed to be sent back from the government we are hoping to be moved by september my partner will go a few weeks before me and our son they have asked for me to go for a common law visa but as money is tight we could not afford to live together and were on social welfare iis there any other way that we can prove we have been a genuine couple we have been engaged also for 4 yrs please any info will help we will be going to edmonton

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

so you havent been living together at all? What about the fact you have a son? I think that will be taken into consideration.
    I only needed to prove a year's cohabitation to get my work permit. Was also asked to provide some dated pictures of us together, a backstory to what weve been doing together as a couple, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

lellie wrote: »
    hi my partner has had a job offer and we are just waitin for contracts that were signed to be sent back from the government we are hoping to be moved by september my partner will go a few weeks before me and our son they have asked for me to go for a common law visa but as money is tight we could not afford to live together and were on social welfare iis there any other way that we can prove we have been a genuine couple we have been engaged also for 4 yrs please any info will help we will be going to edmonton

The only thing I can think of that may prove you're a genuine couple would be things like paper bills, under your partners name addressed to your home or your name addressed to your partners home. Although I'm not sure this will be enough evidence to prove you're a genuine couple but it's worth a shot.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

I cannot see why some of you will not try and set up some sort of enterprise yourselves instead of heading for the hills. There is no other country in the world where their population has to leave like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cynical optimist

I cannot see why some of you will not try and set up some sort of enterprise yourselves instead of heading for the hills. There is no other country in the world where their population has to leave like this.

Tell me you’re not for real with a statement like that. What rock have you been under for the last three years? Let me elaborate a little here from a subjective situation and the thousands like me who are currently unemployed.
    I returned to University 4 years ago after being made redundant, flash forward four years and I have a Hons degree from Trinity and still unable to find reasonable employment, hence the trawling through this site analysing the option of Saskatoon. I ve been to LCEB DCEB Louth and Dublin county enterprise boards Business Start-up courses and filed two viable business start-ups only the financial institution involved believed the gearing in one to high and the second credit, market and liquidity risk all in one, there simply not lending to start ups. The last thing people need is statements like yours. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

At least people here are willing to try and better themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Cool story bro, now go set an example for some of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭seamus1980

Are you serious i cant wait to get out of this ****hole

Advertisement