Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Megane 1.5DCi Check injection fault

• 04-03-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi Guys,
    In the last couple of days I have a problem with my car and need some help!!
    Its a 05 Renault Megane DCi, which has been running grand till yesterday.
    then the service light came on and check injection came up on the screen.. It went off after a while, but has been coming back on again at different stages.. The main problem is that the car definately isn't as powerful as it was, its not chugging or stalling so am still driving on it,although am a bit nervous!!

Can anyone help give me an idea of what it might be before I bring it to garage? Also I 100% need the car for work so it'll be a few days before I can leave it in, is it dangerous to be driving it?
    Cheers!!!icon7.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mazzers wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    then the service light came on and check injection came up on the screen.. It went off after a while, but has been coming back on again at different stages.. The main problem is that the car definately isn't as powerful as it was, its not chugging or stalling so am still driving on it,although am a bit nervous!!

Can anyone help give me an idea of what it might be before I bring it to garage? Also I 100% need the car for work so it'll be a few days before I can leave it in, is it dangerous to be driving it?
    Cheers!!!icon7.gif

More than likely the driver..... ***Don't trust my advice now eh!*** :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I don't know anything about that particular engine setup or what the light may or may not indicate.

However, if your injection timing should be out/offset you could be doing expensive damage to your engine.
    I'd get it checked sooner rather than later if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

We had that on the missus 05 petrol Scenic shortly after we got it in 08, Turned out to be a €40 camshaft sensor that took 5 mins to change. It was covered under warranty but would have been a cheap fix anyway.

I do think that that message covers a few things though, if you know anyone with a scanner it should show up what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭dnme

Mazzers

I have a 2004 1.5DCi Megane, I just recently had the sme fault as you come up. It turns out that injector no.2 was faulty.

Upon investigating that further, it seems all 4 injectors were on the verge of being faulty. It turns out my fuel pump was disintigrating introducing tiny iron filings into the system. This is a common fault with Delphi pumps which is what a lot of Meganes have.

The fix was massive and very expensive. Had to replace the entire fuel system from tank to pipes to injectors to rail to pump.

I bought the parts myself off a Renault dealer in the North and got ax ex-Renault Mechanic to do the work for me in Galway saving a fortune (but it still cost 2.5k)

Your problem may not be as bad as mine, just be aware.
    My advice to you is to get a diagnostic computer plugged into the car, this will tell you which injector is acting up. Also get a decent mechanic to inspect the fuel at the filter, look for tiny iron filings.

You can get injectors reconditioned or replaced. Also if you are near Galway and want the no. of my ex-Renault mechanic, pm me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Read mainly that the issue could be down to glow plugs, dirty dirty diesel or the injectors.

I didnt think it could cost that much dnme, but thanks for the offer on the phone number.

What OP forgot to add (I am her brother btw :) ) is that she was running under 1/4 tank and went and filled up at Tesco.

Now I have heard tales of Tesco fuel, but also the fact that the tanks was running low MAYBE could be issue???? (I think I read that some where not to run your tank down to low)

The mechanic wasn't overly concerned so its a hard one to gauge, the car runs at about 75% power, which could point towards one of the glow plugs gone, but I hope it isnt' as per what DNME said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

glow plugs have nothing to do with the running or power of a diesel ...only with starting it.

peasant wrote: »
    glow plugs have nothing to do with the running or power of a diesel ...only with starting it.

Indeed, with a dead glow plug she would still start on the other 3 and then be normal to drive. Not like in a petrol where you need the sparkplug after starting too.

Thanks lads, amateur mechanic an seo :)

What DNME describes is more or less exactly what a buddy of mine has experienced with a 2007 Discovery. I wonder do the disco use a fuel pump of the same make. Apparently it's common in Discos. He is fearing it may well be €4000/€5000, not :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think I read somewhere that early Megane II dCi models suffered from dodgy fuel pumps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭sundodger5

same problem with a 1.9dci and heater plugs solved it. one had failed but changed the set. about e12 each from the autofactors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Row

Mazzers wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Cheers!!!icon7.gif

With the eml showing p-codes will be logged which can be read.
    This will lead you in the right direction
    otherwise your shooting in the dark.
    If you give your location someone here with diagnostic equipment/codereader
    maybe able to help..:)

Row wrote: »
    With the eml showing p-codes will be logged which can be read.
    This will lead you in the right direction
    otherwise your shooting in the dark.
    If you give your location someone here with diagnostic equipment/codereader
    maybe able to help..:)

Thanks for that Row, appreciate it. I think she has sorted out a guy already but if she hasn't she will probably be on here.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kierandci

try change your diesel filter mine was the same and the idiod that service it never changed it or the oil and when i got it done it ran great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 clocks one

hi just had the same thing happen to my renault two weeks ago , Ger in PGT Diesel services in limerick reconditioned two of the injectors ,the car has never ran better.i rang around a few garages and they were the cheapest.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rdagg742

I had this problem today it turn out that one of the injectors had come lose. Brought it to a friend who has is own garage he put the computer on it which says the injector no 4 was misfiring all he had to do was tightened the injector back up and now the car is running better than before he said it a common problem with 1.5 dci and he said to keep checking it for time to time as with the vibration from engine will loosen it over time hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ronan O Donnell

Also had this problem, but contrary to everyone else heres experience, mechanic told me the turbo was gone in the car and told me to go and buy a new turbo unit. Should I bring it to a different mechanic and see what they have to say?

Advertisement