Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Bike shops in Ireland .

• 26-03-2007 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Cyclists of Ireland

Apparently there is a shop , Stagg cycles is rated as one of the best shop in Ireland , So consider value for money and variety , in your experience what is the best shops in Ireland???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭lady_marmalade

MacDonald Cycles in Rathgar has possibly the friendliest and most helpful customer service I've encountered in this country. It's terrible isn't it when good customer service seems out of the ordinary!

The prices are reasonable too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Value for money and variety aren't the only suitable measures if you're wanting to find the 'Top' bike shops in Ireland. Customer service comes first and foremost for me, as long as the prices are affordable and they can supply what I want.

On that basis - Joe Daly's or Cyclelogical win my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I'm a fan of Cycle Superstore in Tallaght. A good range, helpful staff and discounts with the free Loyalty card.

For basic service I use Little Sport in Fairview. Quite cheap but good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Noel Carrs in Ennis, opened only a few years good selection & friendly. In Dublin it would be Joe Dalys of Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

There is a little place in Tenple Bar which is underground. This is the best value for a service or parts. The guy is sound but it can tend to be slow as he has a big backlog. He is beside the rcord shop close enough to the Temple bar music center. Above all he will tell you the truth which is rare.

Commuting solutions in Rathmines are very knowledgeable and friendly but little bit pricey. Also I once brought a bike in with a skipping cog and they told me it was fixed when it was actaully not fixable. For this they lose a few marks. I had to go to another shop to get the info that it was not fixable i.e. needed a new part which was so expensive the bike was not worth fixing.

MacDonald Cycles in Rathgar is a grand place and the guy is very friendly. However it is a little bit pricey as well. He once fixed a problem for me for free so I would defo go back.

Hollingsworth Cycles Templeogue - I have had a few bad experiences here and on that basis I dont recommend.

Cycleways Parnell Street - not that interested and will tell you whatever you want to hear. You never know where you stand with these guys. Steer clear.

Cyclelogical - they dont do servicing so in my mind they are not a proper bike shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

For the Northern continginet who may read this, I can't recommend Dave Kane Cycles, Newtwonards Road, Belfast (http://www.davekanecycles.com/) highly enough. I've been going there for as long as I can remember and have never failed to get what I wanted, no matter how obsure the part or kit. Their range of bikes and parts is superb, advice is always sound and they also have an excellent clothing shop just down the road too.

Recently I have also been spending large amounts of my hard-earned in ChainReactionCycles, Doagh, County Antrim. Everyone must know of their web-based mail order operation (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/) but you can also call into the showroom (weekdays only) for those times when you need to try something on or don't want to wait on the post man delivering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I got my last bike in Cyclelogical and it was a very goog deal with loads of extras thrown in. Only problem is it more or less impossible to get it serviced there. When I brought it for my 1st free service I stupidly didnt ring and was told they had no room when I got there. After ringing them nearly every day for 2 weeks I finally got it booked in for a service, after that I always brought my bike to another city center bike shop to get serviced. Then recently I started getting broken spokes and I was advised I should bring my bike back to where I bought it from to get the wheel rebuilt. Another two weeks of phone calls and being told everytime they had no room, then when they did tell me to bring the bike in I was told there was no room when I got there :rolleyes: I think they have the best selection for Hybrid bikes in dublin but just don't go there to get your bike serviced.

Cycleways is great for bike repairs/servicing but their selection of bikes isnt great. Last time I wanted to buy a spcialized cirrus in there I was told it was a 2 month wait to get my frame size in.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

Cyclogical
    Unless you've dropped a load of cash or know the owner, its hard to get your bike serviced in there. They rarely will service if you havent bought it there in the first place unless its rare and expensive. And expensive bikes are not ones with bouncy seatposts that cost €500 in the christmas sales.
    Even if you have spent alot there, dont expect any favours. They used to be good, offering advice and discounts but since that expansion I think they could be classed as explorers rather than than a bikers, as they seem to have crawled so far up their own arses...
    Not that I hold a grudge or anything :)

Best thing is to learn yourself - or feed gil biscuits and tea to help you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

kmick wrote:
    There is a little place in Tenple Bar which is underground. This is the best value for a service or parts. The guy is sound but it can tend to be slow as he has a big backlog. He is beside the rcord shop close enough to the Temple bar music center. Above all he will tell you the truth which is rare.

SqureWheels Cycles is the place, Ciaran is the guys name - honest and reasonably priced.
    kmick wrote:
    Cycleways Parnell Street - not that interested and will tell you whatever you want to hear. You never know where you stand with these guys. Steer clear.

Cyclelogical - they dont do servicing so in my mind they are not a proper bike shop.

Yep, these two places are ones to avoid - I had two very bad experiences with Cycleways - I've a Specialized and foolishly thought the main agent might know what they were doing...

As for Cyclelogical - they're very elitist but I believe they do service bikes that cost over €1500 ;) To be fair though they're honest enough to admit when they're not interested - it was they who directed me to SquareWheels with my g/f's budget end Ridgeback...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

milod wrote:
    SqureWheels Cycles is the place, Ciaran is the guys name - honest and reasonably priced.
    Kieran

21 South Temple Lane
    City Centre
    Dublin Dublin

Most bike shops have or can get in expensive racers or mountain bikes or the latest fashion on overpriced accessories, but if you are looking for anything out of the ordinary its worth a look. Stuff like unicycles and trailers..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I've yet to find a place in Dublin that is suitable for me. The cycle superstore in Tallaght is the best of a bad lot. More often I go to cycling pursuits in Limerick and Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

Cycleogical - terrible, terrible shop. Simply refuse to do any repairs or service whatsoever. You would be better off buying blind online. They are pricey too and never have any real specials.:mad:

Cycleways - Good repair service. Never have what you want in stock, well maybe sometimes. Not very compromising on parts swaps on new bikes and don't want to know you once you've shelled out. I hear the same spiel everytime I go in - even though I've been cycling for nearly twenty years - you'd think they'd regocnise me by now.:confused:

Little sport - steer well clear. I bought a second hand bike here years ago and it fell apart, literally, after a few weeks. Any repairs have always had to go back for the job to be actually done, or done properly. :mad:

Chainreactioncyles.com - Cheap, free delivery, never any problems. Pity they don't do many bikes or service or repairs.:D

Halfords - Oh My God. For starters you will be left standing for at least half an hour like a complete tool. The you will be served by some barely living spotty sixteen year old who can barely talk. Every transaction, no matter how small, is like pulling teeth. Don't expect quality service, repairs or advice. They have no knowledge whatsoever and don't care one bit about customers.
    They do have some good deals though - but learn to do basic repairs yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Commuting Solutions in Rathmines are friendly chaps who do repairs reasonably quickly and at reasonable prices. They also let me road-test a bike three times without requiring a deposit or a credit card. I like them.

I also like the little bike shop in Ranelagh. The guy who owns it is decent and, while not always able to repair stuff without first ordering the parts, is straightforward enough to let you know the score in advance.

My initial experience of Cyclelogical was that they were stand-offish, but when I expressed an interest in buying a particular bike they became quite friendly and helpful. (I guess they get a fair few time-wasters in there.) Never bought a bike from them, though, so I can't comment on their service record.

As for Cycleways, I bought some Ortlieb panniers there recently and found the manager very helpful indeed. I also road-tested a bike and found the sales guy pretty informative, without being too pushy.

By the way, as for prices of bike shops here, it's regularly said that they're over-priced compared to their UK counterparts but I was in the market for a hybrid/sports-hybrid bike recently and I found the prices very similar between there and here.

When it comes to parts and accessories, however, I suspect that may be a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Money Shot wrote:
    Halfords - Oh My God. For starters you will be left standing for at least half an hour like a complete tool. The you will be served by some barely living spotty sixteen year old who can barely talk. Every transaction, no matter how small, is like pulling teeth. Don't expect quality service, repairs or advice. They have no knowledge whatsoever and don't care one bit about customers.
    They do have some good deals though - but learn to do basic repairs yourself.

Aha, I see you've visited the Coolock Branch... or are all of them that bad?!

No, never been to the Coolock Branch, but have experienced the Liffey Value and Blanchardstown varietys.
    Where do they get the guys that work there - they seem to hire people who can perfect a certain gormless, uninterested look. They are always under staffed too.
    As I say though - they do thave some good deals, unlike most LBS's

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

Carrickmines and the one in Mahon cork are the same. Avoid like the plague

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,977 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've only ever been in cyclelogical twice; both times, i waited for about 30 seconds a couple of foot from the counter, waiting for the staff to finish talking to their mates/other staff, both times i walked out without them even acknowledging my presence.
    both my bikes were bought in cycle ways, one from brendan (i think - lanky aussie) and one from justin (i think). no complaints about the service i got from either of them.

I love these threads......

30 seconds....Too long to wait for service? Give me a break....

Gil_Dub wrote:
    30 seconds....Too long to wait for service? Give me a break....
    I would have left too. magicbastarder said he was standing at the counter and ignored. IMO the customer should get the priority and the conversation with mates put on hold.
    When I lived in California service was infinitely better than here - they know who pays the bills! I was in Sainsburys in NI last summer and the service was a ton better than Tesco here - no talking with mates while scanning my shopping.

Another thread tells about another brutal example of bad service in Ireland (a car dealer).

• Advertisement

I won't argue with you Damo, you and I've both been around long enough to know there are pro's and con's in dealing with EVERY bike shop in Dublin, let alone Ireland.

The point is that sometimes it's more about the customers approach than the sales persons response. If someone hovered around the bike shop for a while before ending up over around the counter, then they might not attract too much attention. Think about the layout in Cycleogical too - The counter is choc' full of stock, overhead is full of N.O.S brake parts, chainrings and saddles etc. I often stand there looking for bits and pieces as opportunity buys, without a nod from the staff, and that's the way I want it. I want to stand there with my nostalgia drool pooling on my manboobs while I contemplate another purchase of something that's stashed behind the counter, or overhead....There a set of AMP B3 forks in there, NOS, that I could spend 20 minutes looking at.... I doubt I'm the only one who's like this in that shop.

Now in fairness, I would expect someone who walks up to the counter and says "Excuse me, can you help?" would be met with a response. But if the approach was more like my usual one, I'd actually expect to be ignored...

Different strokes for different folks. I'd rather ask for help and be left alone by shop staff apart from that. Maybe others expect staff who might be on their way out the door to lunch, or passing through on their day off to snap to it.... But you'll never get that in Cycleogical, as you and I both know. That doesn't make it a crap shop - It just appeals to a different type of customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Ausdubliner

I need help!!

I have been trying to buy a mountain bike. Finally found one cheap enough for my budget at cycleways. All was going well, finally got to cycle places instead of catching the bus!!

I had my bike TWO weeks and it has been stolen from the building where I live! :o(

Is there anywhere I can get a reliable secondhand bike (willing to pay upto about Euro 200)? I dont think I want to go through losing a second brand new bike.

Why do people feel they can steal other peoples property...it really annoys me.

I had my bike TWO weeks and it has been stolen from the building where I live! :o(

Is there anywhere I can get a reliable secondhand bike (willing to pay upto about Euro 200)? I dont think I want to go through losing a second brand new bike.

That's real bad luck - my first bike lasted a month before being stolen from outside my school (that was back in 1984 - I'm still annoyed by it). For the next time you should look into house contents insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭GP

The Bike Shop in Wexford (www.thebikeshop.ie).

Going 25years (maybe more....) and the best wheel builder I've seen.

A tool for every job and MORE importantly, the knowledge.

Probably one of the best stocked bike shops in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭GP

i've only ever been in cyclelogical twice; both times, i waited for about 30 seconds a couple of foot from the counter, waiting for the staff to finish talking to their mates/other staff, both times i walked out without them even acknowledging my presence.

That's just an Irish thing...not only bike shops

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

cyclogical are particularly bad though. They also look down their noses at people when you do actually get to talk to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I need help!!

I have been trying to buy a mountain bike. Finally found one cheap enough for my budget at cycleways. All was going well, finally got to cycle places instead of catching the bus!!

I have a GT Aggressor mountain bike that's a couple of years old, it's in good knick & would be a perfect hack/commuter bike. 18". Will let you have it for €120.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I only go to Wolfe Cycles in Kimmage. I've been dealing with them for nearly 20 years (with a substantial gap in the middle). Friendly staff, excellent service. I can't say what they are like for price because I never go anywhere else. But they cut me such a good deal on a racer I bought years ago that I never looked back. Recently I bought my current bike there - they did me another great deal and threw in loads of extras. All in all I'm very happy with the service. I'd have to recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

i found halfords great, i waited my turn in line due to the place being very busy like any shop on a weekend,:(.
    also the fact some prick in front was abusing the staff like a know it all from boards.ie ,complaining bout the time it took to process his credit card but was only buying a repair kit:confused.
    so i waited some more like any sane person:) ,and eventually was greeted politly by a little blond dude as if he didnt give a **** about the arsehole of a customer behind him shouting at him:eek:, he had a few spots :eek: :eek: :eek: ,needed a haircut:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ,like all lads his age do,but shockingly he told me the truth(didnt lie):rolleyes: about ****e bikes, knew all about the different parts,:rolleyes: the advantages and disadvantages, he told me what i needed to know and i am now the proud owner of a kona firemountain:cool: , which i got at a disgracefully cheap price. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I'd have to second the OP. Stagg's in Lucan is brilliant. Got a Trek 1400 at an amazing price there a couple years ago. He also sells some seriously high-end second hand road bikes on behalf of friends of his. Could get a bargain there...

Advertisement