Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

Do I need to follow all this advice if buying from a garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

lily lou wrote: »
    Do I need to follow all this advice if buying from a garage?

Yes, yes you do. Even more so :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Bigus wrote: »
    Its an inanimate object you're buying not a new partner for life!

don't take it so seriously or you're definitely going to become a TIMEWASTER
    In fairness thats all pretty standard advice

• Registered Users Posts: 17 melimelo

Many many thanks for such an informative post. I know that it may seem as "pretty standard advice" however I have found it very helpful in bringing it all together. I am on the look of a used car myself these days and I find it quite a challenge (especially given that I'm a woman - not to mention non Irish - and quite a few people think that all I care about is the colour of the car as if I'm going to match it to my purse...).

I just found an ad (private) on donedeal of a car I like and would consider testing it, so I followed the suggestions on this post however there're a few things that didn't feel quite ok during my phone-call with the current owner and I wonder if people on the know could tell me what they think (if it's not OK to ask such questions here please let me know and I'll remove it):

Car has been imported from UK (Manchester) and current owner doesn't have a documented service history;
    Car is a replica (I'm new in boards so am not quite clear if it's ok to share details of the car) and it has been re-painted - current owner says it had to be repainted because it's a replica (???);
    Current owner doesn't share the vehicle's registration number (!) because she doesn't want to be hassled by people who don't have a genuine interest in buying the car and even after about 20 questions I made on the car that confirm I have a genuine interest current owner said that her boyfriend says she gave enough information as it is and can't share the vehicle's registration number unless I go there and see it myself...

All they have document-wise is V5/Logbook and a MOT history and DVL.
    Do you think it's safe enough to look into it further or does it look like something it's better to stay away from?

Many thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

melimelo wrote: »
    Many many thanks for such an informative post. I know that it may seem as "pretty standard advice" however I have found it very helpful in bringing it all together. I am on the look of a used car myself these days and I find it quite a challenge (especially given that I'm a woman - not to mention non Irish - and quite a few people think that all I care about is the colour of the car as if I'm going to match it to my purse...).

I just found an ad (private) on donedeal of a car I like and would consider testing it, so I followed the suggestions on this post however there're a few things that didn't feel quite ok during my phone-call with the current owner and I wonder if people on the know could tell me what they think (if it's not OK to ask such questions here please let me know and I'll remove it):

Car has been imported from UK (Manchester) and current owner doesn't have a documented service history;
    Car is a replica (I'm new in boards so am not quite clear if it's ok to share details of the car) and it has been re-painted - current owner says it had to be repainted because it's a replica (???);
    Current owner doesn't share the vehicle's registration number (!) because she doesn't want to be hassled by people who don't have a genuine interest in buying the car and even after about 20 questions I made on the car that confirm I have a genuine interest current owner said that her boyfriend says she gave enough information as it is and can't share the vehicle's registration number unless I go there and see it myself...

All they have document-wise is V5/Logbook and a MOT history and DVL.
    Do you think it's safe enough to look into it further or does it look like something it's better to stay away from?

Many thanks for the help.

My first reaction was to stay a million miles from this, but on second thoughts i'd go and look at this for an education ! but don't buy.
    Put up a link to the advert pls !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

johnos1984 wrote: »
    In fairness thats all pretty standard advice

In all fairness how many cars have you looked at/rang about in the last 4 months and not bought ? honestly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

My first reaction was to stay a million miles from this, but on second thoughts i'd go and look at this for an education ! but don't buy.
    Put up a link to the advert pls !

Agreed. I've taken the best out of several cars when I am comparing with the one I am testing.

Maybe this car will be an indication of WHAT to look out for when buying!

Thanks Bigus and Wolverine. My hunch is to stay away from it. There's a small chance for that car to turn out a good opportunity, but there's just too many things not feeling ok with it (e.g. re-painted or car imported in January yet not having being cleared with VRT yet or current owner not knowing how many previous owners etc) and I'm not that eager to drive all the way to Limerick for a car that most likely is a scam. Btw, this is the link to it:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2052873

I agree totally with both that the more you test-drive the better you know what you want and what you don't want.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

You know you'll have to pay the VRT on that right ?

I got a VRT quote of €1,600 on the online calculator for a 1.6 petrol engine 2004 Mini Cooper which would not include the value of the extras on the car...so ask to see the VRT assessment - seller says VRT is €1,000 - or proof that it has been presented for VRT assessment - because otherwise you will have to present it and will be liable for interest and penalties if this has not been done within 30 days of the car landing in the state.)

If you don't feel comfortable with the seller, walk away with your money in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

In all fairness how many cars have you looked at/rang about in the last 4 months and not bought ? honestly ?
    He could have looked at 1000 cars and not bought any and it'd still be good advice.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I just wanted to add my thanks to the existing chorus so well done Limerick Man and thanks for putting up that information.

Thanks, Reloc8. I hadn't realised that interest and penalties would be borne by the buyer, so thanks for noting that. That car went off my list anyway - just too many things not sounding ok with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

One thing I would urge anyone to do (especially in rural areas with bad roads):
    Jack the car up on each corner and spin the wheels by hand.
    If you're in the countryside and the wheels are alloy I guarantee you that at least two will wobble because the car WILL have encountered a pothole or boulder from a stone wall that it would have hit at full speed.
    Last two cars I looked at had maybe 2 straight wheel between them.
    It's hard to see when the car is parked and, if the wheel got balanced afterwards, it might not be immediately obvious, but look out for multiple weights on the rim and have a look through the spokes for any flat spots on the back of the rim.
    This could save you hundreds in replacing warped wheels.
    because a bent wheel is a fcuked wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 trek04

Thanks for the info....much appreciated this is what i exactly looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Yes this info has really helped! A lot of gangsters (no pun intended) trying to sell cars in (coincidently where I am) Limerick.

I've looked at about 6 cars now, the last turning out to be a crash repair! Beware of UK imports!

I'm getting sick of it now to be honest :(

Another point I'd like to add - beware of the title "Lady owner", I've found no advantages compared to car owned by men and most cars not to have been serviced in well over 2 years, let alone a service history.

Just be as scrupilious as with a "male owned" car and don't let it lead you into a false sense of security.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Another tip: If the car has air conditioning/climate control you need to check that it is functioning correctly. To do this start the car if not already running, set the temperature to the lowest setting & wait a few minutes for it to blow ice cold. It might actually be better to do this on the test drive. If it doesn't blow cold it could mean a re-gas of the system or something much more expensive.

Another Tip:
    Have a look at the tyres for two things;
    1. Are the tyres fitted a good recognized brand, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Michelin, Continental, etc. If there are cheapo tyres in the car it could raise questions on what other items were slumped on.
    2. Have a look at the tyre thread, for two reasons:
    a) Is there a decent amount of thread left? Tyres approaching the wear indicator will need replacing & you can use this in your bargaining on price
    b) Check that the thread wear is even across the width of the tyre, if a tyre is worn badly on one side but fine on another it could mean wheel alignment needs to be done or wiser still that there is some further suspension work needing to be done. It could be the result of wear & tear on suspension or accident damage. Either way work & further investigation would be needed.
    Another tip:
    Airbag light, make sure this illuminates when you turn on the ignition & also goes out when the car is started. Just make sure it goes out at a different time to the oil light. I've seen where guys just hooked up the bulb to the oil light bulb because there was an expensive problem with a seat occupancy sensor.
    Another tip:
    Most cars come with 2 keys, sometimes more. Always ask how many keys the seller has. The replacement keys, especially the ones with a built in remote control can be expensive (€130-€160)

Finally don't be blinded by the car, as in get caught up in the moment, this has happened to me & sometimes it is good to have some overly cautious friend with you when viewing.
    Also if you are leaving a deposit on a car be aware that in some cases this is not refundable, make sure you check up front about this (I forgot to ask this myself recently ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Complete noob question - Would the garages be as open to bargaining as in the OP I think refers more to private selling?

gustavo wrote: »
    Complete noob question - Would the garages be as open to bargaining as in the OP I think refers more to private selling?

Yes, yes they would. Same goes for private as for dealers, just don't be overly cocky or ignorant! Try suss them out and see what they're best or lowest price would be, and then work off that. Like if they said their best was 13,000, don't offer 10,000!

When all the bargaining is done then try get a tank of fuel (may be dropped down to 20 quid worth depending on how hard you intially bargained.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 higginsshane70

I've got to admit that i learned a lot of new things through this post and i feel much more wise then before.

I've got to admit that i learned a lot of new things through this post and i feel much more wise then before.

Good to know! Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 jkp

another one here to thank limerick man and all others for the advice posted here.
    just bought my first car tonight :D
    and the info in the motors forum really helped me with my search, this thread particularly helped me avoid the first 10 sellers or so i rang...
    now to get reading my new(old) owners manual!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jayhassett89

great post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 allnighter

Thanks for the advice LM. I have only been looking at cars from dealers so far. But I think I will be branching out into the private sellers soon. Awesome post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 freddothefrog

Thanks for taking the time to write this, a great help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I presume if you're looking at a car with a dealer and the NCT is due that it's reasonable to expect them to put it through the NCT for you without any change in the asking price ?

gustavo wrote: »
    I presume if you're looking at a car with a dealer and the NCT is due that it's reasonable to expect them to put it through the NCT for you without any change in the asking price ?

Absolutely, it shouldn't even be a cause for concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jonosam

Fantastic amount of information here, well done Limerick Man ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭koura

Great Post.
    Is there any free reg check

koura wrote: »
    Great Post.
    Is there any free reg check

There was a kinda free check with mywheels.ie before, but they upped their price to €7, although from what I've heard it's not a worthwhile check.

Motorcheck.ie or cartell.ie and the ones I would use personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 rhudson

what about a guide to selling youre car
    the traps too watch out for etc

Advertisement