Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long before i get used to braces?

• 26-05-2011 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I got my braces 3 days ago, im not trying to seem like a complaining teenager and i know that most of the answers are going to be "just tough it out and stop whining", but i have my leaving cert in less then two weeks, and i need to cram as much as i can between now and then, pains will just obstruct me not to mention im hungry as hell... also i cant be dealing with a sore mouth during my leaving cert. So id just like to know, if anybody can answer my question, how long does it usually take for a person to get used to braces, i have elastics on my bottom row of teeth trying to close two gaps and i have a retainer on top trying to straighten my front two teeth if that info helps anybody. Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Are you taking any kind of paracetemol or anything? I am sure it took me about 5 days for the complete over awareness of my teeth to go away but i did take some drugs every now and then to help me concentrate in work and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10 NinjaRobot

Are you taking any kind of paracetemol or anything? I am sure it took me about 5 days for the complete over awareness of my teeth to go away but i did take some drugs every now and then to help me concentrate in work and stuff

its not so much pain that im feeling nothing that bad that id need to be drugged up, its just awkward and im starting to get these bumbs on my thoungue and i dont know what they are.. they are starting to hurt.. but the braces, no...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Dory353

NinjaRobot wrote: »
    I got my braces 3 days ago, im not trying to seem like a complaining teenager and i know that most of the answers are going to be "just tough it out and stop whining", but i have my leaving cert in less then two weeks, and i need to cram as much as i can between now and then, pains will just obstruct me not to mention im hungry as hell... also i cant be dealing with a sore mouth during my leaving cert. So id just like to know, if anybody can answer my question, how long does it usually take for a person to get used to braces, i have elastics on my bottom row of teeth trying to close two gaps and i have a retainer on top trying to straighten my front two teeth if that info helps anybody. Thank you :)

Hi there. I only got mine fitted last Friday 20th (although I don't currently have elastics or a retainer) but they were absolutely killing for a full week afterwards. Yesterday was the first day I had no pain or wires sticking into my gums so hopefully things will improve for you shortly. Completely understand about the hunger I was starrrrrving the first few days also.. yoghurts/soup just doesn't hit the spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

I suppose it would depend case by case but usually five days would be max for them to be sore. Take a paracetamol also. The start is definitely worse so you should be over the brunt of it now!

Advertisement