Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roast Round of Beef

• 10-01-2008 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am going to do a roast beef this weekend (first attempt). I have 1.2k round of beef. I looked up a few sites and this may not be the best cut for roasts but it's too late now...

Can anyone give me some tips, how long should I cook and what temp? I only have one oven and wanted to do roasters as well, is that posible?

And should I be able to make gravy from the juices? Are yorkshire puddings v hard to make or am I being too ambitious?!!

Aggghh i feel stressed already :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I know nothing about cooking the beef, but I strongly advise you not to take on too much at once. If you're experimenting with the beef, make sure you're well versed in making everything else you're serving. That way, things are much less likely to go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Season the beef well, cook it slowly and baste it occasionaly.
    The meant juices will make great gravy.
    As for the yorkshires.....why not just buy some frozen ones for your first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

20 minutes per pound or 22 minutes per 500g at 190c for medium rare. Start the meat at a high temp for 20 minutes, say 220c, then reduce to 190c. Allow the meat to rest, covered loosely with a piece of foil for 15 - 20 minutes. Use the time if you are making gravy and yorkshires.

So your 1.2kg piece of beef will be cooked in 50 minutes. That will be long enough to roast a par boiled spud if they both go into the oven at the same time. The tatters can stay in the oven with the yorkshires after the beef is done if needed.

Get yourself organised early and there will be no stress. Peel and chop all the veggies in the morning. If you want to try the yorkshires from scratch, make the batter in the morning and allow to stand. Take the beef from the fridge a couple of hours before roasting to allow to come to room temperture. Start by par boiling the spuds - give yourself 30 minutes before putting the roast in the oven to get the potatoes ready. Par boiled so they are cooked around the edges, drain and allow to dry before fluffing the edges by bashing them about in a saucepan.

Say you want to eat at 2.00pm
    Morning - veggies & batter for the yorkshires, beef out of the fridge
    12.00 - Start the potatoes
    12.30 - Potatoes & beef into the oven
    13.20 - Beef out, check roasties, turn the oven up for the yorkshires
    13.30 - Yorkshires into the oven, start the gravy, greens or other veggies on
    13.50 - Yorkshires out, gravy is cooked, carve and plate up.
    14.00 - Sit at the table and enjoy a homemade stress free roast beef dinner.

Yorkshires are a doddle. But you need a muffin tray (or similar) to make them. Heat the tray with some fat in each hole in the oven. Pour in the batter and cook. Don't be tempted to open the door while cooking - they can collapse.

Gravy is a doddle. From scratch, you will need some beef stock. Take the beef from the roasting tray, add a couple of tablespoons of flour and cook on the hob for about four or five minutes on a low heat. (If the roux is lumpy add a little oil). Then start adding the stock (or a glass of red wine if you want a red wine gravy), stir together until you have a smooth paste. Gradually add the beef stock, stirring all the time until you have the consistency you want. Allow this to bubble gently on the hob until the yorkshires are done. You can add more stock if it becomes too thick.

Tips

You can colour the meat on the hob, but putting it into a hot oven at 220c for the first 20 minutes does the same job.

Season with pepper but no salt before roasting - apparently salt draws the juices from the meat.

Early prep for all the veggies and the yorkshire batter will leave you stress free.

Chuck from root veggies into the roasting tray with the beef - this will improve the flavour of the gravy. A couple of carrots, an onion, a celery stick.

Buy beef stock from the larger supermarkets (Life is too short to make it from scratch)

Good luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Round roast is beautiful if you cook it slowly. It's not like the very expensive cuts that you can cook rare or medium though.
    To keep it moist all through, boil it in a big pot of water for around 20 minutes. Then transfer it to a roasting tin and roast it at 180 degrees for 2 hours. You can pop the potatoes in around the meat for the last hour (steam or boil them first until almost cooked).
    If you're making yorkshire pudding too (my mother buys frozen ones in Tesco's and swears by them), then go for instant gravy. Bisto Best gravy is really good - the secret is to leave the kettle stand for 1 minute after boiling before pouring into the jug and you won't get lumps in it.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Guys thanks a million, I really needed a plan to follow for this one...this dinner sounds delicious I can't wait for it!

I am planning on having 12 for christmas dinner next year so will be spending the year practising my roast dinners!

Will let you know how it all goes :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement