Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ham jumbo repair needed

• 02-03-2012 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

hi guys,i have a saturne galaxy{ham jumbo}that is not transmitting.anyone out there able to sort this.also i have a 30amp watson psu that is only outputting 12.4volts and i would like this fixed too.im based in the clonmel area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

John the rf tech guy should be able to sort that for you
    Sounds like you might have blown the outputs

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭edber2011

John the rf tech guy should be able to sort that for you
    Sounds like you might have blown the outputs
    hi molloys,i actually bought it like this but didnt know the radio wasnt transmitting.when i key up the tx light comes on but the meters dont move.i got the radio for a pittance so im not too worried about investing a few euros on it,i have another jumbo thats perfect but doesnt have the built in frequency readout like the saturn.

a common fault when a bad swr is present is for the outputs to blow
    If you search around here you will find the rf tech guy pm him and Im sure he can sort it for you,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭The RF Tech Guy

Received PM from the poster.

Many thanks Andy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭OldRio

Good grief.
    I had a Jumbo in about 1981/1982.
    Looked a big rig until you opened it up.

Happy times.
    Good luck with your repairs.

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »
    Good grief.
    I had a Jumbo in about 1981/1982.
    Looked a big rig until you opened it up.

Happy times.
    Good luck with your repairs.
    cheers rio

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Was is 2sc1969 output tranny? Jumbo, that also brings back memories. Massive box and air inside.
    Good luck on repair and enjoy the radio .)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭OldRio

For the love of God I can't remember.
    Yeah lots of expensive air in the Jumbo

I brought a few Cobra 148's/Ham International Concords into the country (Naughty boy at the time) and made a few pennys.

Good times.
    To be honest it was a fine machine the Jumbo.

telecinesk wrote: »
    Was is 2sc1969 output tranny? Jumbo, that also brings back memories. Massive box and air inside.
    Good luck on repair and enjoy the radio .)
    thanks tele

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭jmcc

OldRio wrote: »
    For the love of God I can't remember.
    Yeah lots of expensive air in the Jumbo

I brought a few Cobra 148's/Ham International Concords into the country (Naughty boy at the time) and made a few pennys.

Good times.
    To be honest it was a fine machine the Jumbo.
    Very impressive looking but the Cobra 148 was a better box internally from what I remember. Very easy to modify too. The Jumbo used to have a very cool astronaut type bleep, I think.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

ok guys,an update.power supply problem is sorted as i got a different one,also i didnt explain what exactly the galaxy saturn is doing.when i key up the mic the tx light comes on, and i get the thump sound as i key up also.now i placed a scanner in the next room and put the saturn on the same frequency as the scanner and keyed up,scanner lit up so that means i had a carrier on output but here is the main problem,no audio with the carrier i.e no voice heard.hope this helps you guys to better understand what might be wrong with my radio.

Could be just the mic needs rewiring maybe a wire has come loose fron the plug I would be a bit hesitant to suggest that but you have to start somewhere.

after that could be one of a hundred things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

jmcc wrote: »
    The Jumbo used to have a very cool astronaut type bleep, I think.

I liked it too, but boy were/are they a Marmite love-it-or-hate-it thing!

Could be just the mic needs rewiring maybe a wire has come loose fron the plug I would be a bit hesitant to suggest that but you have to start somewhere.

after that could be one of a hundred things.
    cheers molloy,i will check that out and see.

Advertisement