Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to move in Carrick on Shannon...

• 01-09-2011 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi, I'm thinking of moving to Carrick on Shannon, but not sure where is a good place to zone in on. I'm packing my bags and leaving my current place as cabin fever has hit and the jobs sector is a joke.

just wondering is it a good place to live?, have heard its great to visit. not too hung up about nightclubs, am in mid twenties and have done my time as babysitter :pac: clubs, societies, general casual social life scene...

as you tell, haven't a clue... so any help. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭leonvquinn

Carrick and Leitrim in general is one of the nicest counties you could pick...full of rivers, lakes and hills. People are friendly and prices are better than Dublin etc..pretty high quality of life really. I live in a quaint village Keshcarrigan but anywhere outside Carrick you'll find cheap rental houses. Carrick is where everything is though. One thing, with the possible closure of MBNA, you might find it hard to get a job!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Quester

Thanks for the reply. Yes have been listening with some trepidation about the MBNA situ. Hopefully all wil be sorted and everyone will have a job, including me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

Quester, have you got a job yet?

I moved from Galway and found that you do need to go our to meet people here. Sunday nights is the local night out as I call it with lots of the hotel staff and others out on sunday nights.

Carrick I must say is a nice town with loads to do that people wouldn't really know about unless you actually focus on stuff. Places to live are really good value but try to stay away from the river, as most of the areas flooded last year.

PM me if you want and I can try to point you in the right direction as I am still only finding myfeet after 5 months here.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Empsey

I am thinking of moving to Carrick also as like the OP cabin fever has set in also! Carrick is supposed to be a good spot so looking forward to it :) Please God MBNA does not close or i'll be the only young person left in the town

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

You may want to have a look at this thread too:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055501866

We are now almost 2 years living in Carrick now, and it's a great place to live.

• Advertisement

Empsey wrote: »
    I am thinking of moving to Carrick also as like the OP cabin fever has set in also! Carrick is supposed to be a good spot so looking forward to it :) Please God MBNA does not close or i'll be the only young person left in the town

was worried i'd be only blow in, looks like i'm going to be safe lol

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Stay away from Lis Cara whatever you do !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Ado86 wrote: »
    Stay away from Lis Cara whatever you do !!!

What's up with Lis Cara? I'm moving the Carrick on Shannon soon to Oaklands. Is it close to Lis Cara?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Oaklands is nice, no its not near it, don't worry! My bf lived in Oaklands for years, nice houses, neighbours seem to keep to themselves!

Ah ok thank you.

So what's up with Lis Cara? Not much about it on google. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I don't really know but I've heard its not a nice estate, its kind of out of the town I think. Used to live over in Ck but don't think I was ever even in it!Great town though..you'll have a ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Fart wrote: »
    What's up with Lis Cara? I'm moving the Carrick on Shannon soon to Oaklands. Is it close to Lis Cara?
    No Oaklands isn't near Lis Cara, but Oaklands was one of the first big estates built in the Celtic Tiger, and it shows... plenty of rentals and a general run down look to the place.

Somebody posted pics of Lis Cara a while back and it hasn't improved.

EDIT: here... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64285988

Well the move was made, but have yet to crack into the local scene. ah sure, it all takes time.

Quester wrote: »
    Well the move was made, but have yet to crack into the local scene. ah sure, it all takes time.

Nice, I may see you around in a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Hi I'm from Carrick (living in Dub now though) its a great spot the areas I like living wise are Summerhill, Shannon Lodge there are also nice spot out on the Leitrim/Boyle road. Good pubs The Oarsman, Cryans, Murtaghs, Flynns, Dunnes and Gings. Nice restaurants/hotels Landmark, Cryans, Bush, Vittos, Oarsman, Chungs and Himalyana restaurants. The shopping is good a 24hr tesco, boots, heatons, woodies, supervalu a good gym, cinema and bowling alley. I go back twice a month to get my fill of Carrick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Misty Midlands

Hi all, What is Oaklands in Carrick on Shannon like?
    I am considering buying a house and moving there.
    Just wondering if there are many owner occupiers there
    or is it mostly rented houses?
    I would appreciate your advice. Thank you.

I have received a private message about the above issue.
    I don't need any more info on it. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭almostbroke

Hi....I'm considering moving to Carrick and was wondering if anyone could give me some information on what its like to live there.....in particular about the Oaklands area, or could they tell me where are the best places to live there? Thanks a mill.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

I lived there for a year a few years ago. A lot of Carrick flooded, so my recommendation is to ask around and do not go for a low-lying area near the river or on a flood plain.

Hi all. I would be most grateful for a pm with advice on The Paddocks
    as a place to move to. Is it a quiet area.... is it mainly rented houses there? Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭pcomer

Hi all - I am curious about Oaklands too. If anyone could PM me with some advice about the area I'd be very grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Oaklands is mostly rental. If I was in my 20s and was only really looking for a place to sleep Oaklands would do fine, but I wouldn't live in it now.

Nearly all the Celtic Tiger era estates in Carrick are not great, to be fair.

Anyone looking to move there would be better off with the pre-1990 areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 springwater

dun ri quite good. houses are good quality dry lined etc

• Registered Users Posts: 36 johnsuperf

Quester wrote: »

Hello how do you find living in carrick on Shannon I’m thinking of makin a move there....has lis cara still got a bad name or has it been cleaned up.....are the houses in Oakland’s and lis cara mostly rented? I would rather move in area where mainly owner occupied.... Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rossj

Like JohnSurf

I would v much like to know the current 2020 situation as regards the areas v suitable for renting, areas to avoid due to previous Oaklands & Liscara mentions and low lying flood plain areas....

I know everything is different with Covid but what is the situation like on the ground in carrick right now November 2020? I would be looking to Rent initially

Thank you all

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Sue de Nimes

My wife and I are returning to Ireland from the UK. Carrick is somewhere we are looking at. Are there any places to avoid at the moment?

We don't have kids and are 44 and 50 so don't have a huge need for a buzzing nightlife scene. What we do want is a quiet and safe place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Stigura

Carrick is somewhere we are looking at. Are there any places to avoid at the moment?

Do ye mean places to avoid in, around Carrick? Or the country in general :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Sue de Nimes

Stigura wrote: »
    Do ye mean places to avoid in, around Carrick? Or the country in general :confused:

I mean in Carrick itself. Any parts of it to avoid buying in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Stigura

Hard to say. Personally speaking? I'd prefer to be 'outside'. But, that'd be just me. I've no use for town life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Senior

I lived in Summerhill for a couple of years and loved it. Great house, good neighbours, near everything and so on. (I wish I knew what I had at the time!)

Advertisement