Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free channels on sky

• 12-04-2012 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi. Recently i had to cancel my sky subscription so have been cut of by sky. A friend told me he thinks it is still possible to watch certain free to air channels like itv etc but they are not sure how. He mentioned something about taking out the sky viewing card and switching the box back on. He said it would still list all my usual channels but i will only be able to watch certain channels. Does anyone know if this is true before i try it because i dont want to mess up the box.
    Thanks a million.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

If you take out the card and restart it as far as I know you will get the UK epg ITV 1 2 3 4 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If you take out the card and restart it as far as I know you will get the UK epg ITV 1 2 3 4 etc.

Not if it's a Sky HD box, AFAIK it doesn't change EPG when you remove the card

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If it's a HD box then it'll be stuck on the Irish EPG which means 99% of the most popular fta channels will need to be manually tuned in and watched via Other Channels.

If it's not a HD box then all the FTA channels will be available by removing the card & plugging the box out then in again.Set the most popular as favourites and use the blue button to scroll through 'em.

Here's a list of the fta channels available http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free-to-air_channels_at_28%C2%B0E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Not if it's a Sky HD box, AFAIK it doesn't change EPG when you remove the card
    Ok I stand corrected. Must have been a standard box my sister had and it worked on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭smokey32

zerks wrote: »
    If it's a HD box then it'll be stuck on the Irish EPG which means 99% of the most popular fta channels will need to be manually tuned in and watched via Other Channels.

If it's not a HD box then all the FTA channels will be available by removing the card & plugging the box out then in again.Set the most popular as favourites and use the blue button to scroll through 'em.

Here's a list of the fta channels available http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free-to-air_channels_at_28%C2%B0E
    Hi. Thanks for the help. It is a sky hd box. So are you saying that if i go to add channels and put in the frequency details for free to air channels then i can recieve them????
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭John mac

smokey32 wrote: »
    Hi. Thanks for the help. It is a sky hd box. So are you saying that if i go to add channels and put in the frequency details for free to air channels then i can recieve them????
    Thanks.

Yup.

smokey32 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Better option is to get a ftv card from adverts,there's a guy from Wicklow doing them for €15.
    No messing about having to go to Other Channels to watch your favourite stuff.
    The card will make the box revert to the UK EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

E-mail setanta & request a ftv card quoting BAI Sound & vision scheme, tell them you already have a receiver and dish etc, they will order a card from sky for you & you should have it in 5 days or less. No cost for this.

Disney HD is fta atm on 10921 H 22.0 5/6

Looks like tests for HD. It's a bit hit & miss for when its on so people might get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

bodonnell wrote: »
    E-mail setanta & request a ftv card quoting BAI Sound & vision scheme, tell them you already have a receiver and dish etc, they will order a card from sky for you & you should have it in 5 days or less. No cost for this.

What benefits or channels will that give him that he doesn't get with his old subscription card?

• Advertisement

MarkK wrote: »
    What benefits or channels will that give him that he doesn't get with his old subscription card?

It's a ftv card,it unlocks the UK EPG on HD boxes,plus he'll get a couple more channels previously unavailable such as Viva,LFCTV & Pick IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

It's a ftv card,it unlocks the UK EPG on HD boxes,plus he'll get a couple more channels previously unavailable such as Viva,LFCTV & Pick IIRC.

Do the FTV cards supplied via Setanta give you the UK channels on the EPG? I thought they pointed towards the scrambled ones? I have some ex Irish sub cards and that is what they seem to do.

gtg60 wrote: »
    Do the FTV cards supplied via Setanta give you the UK channels on the EPG? I thought they pointed towards the scrambled ones? I have some ex Irish sub cards and that is what they seem to do.

Yes they do, have done the 'card trick' successfully with it. However, if you call setanta to activate it as instructed it then becomes enabled with the irish epg so best not to call!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Yes they do, have done the 'card trick' successfully with it. However, if you call setanta to activate it as instructed it then becomes enabled with the irish epg so best not to call!!

Ah, that's interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

Disney HD is fta atm on 10921 H 22.0 5/6

Looks like tests for HD. It's a bit hit & miss for when its on so people might get lucky.

So can you add this to your other channels, redo the card trick, and it'll be in the EPG?

Soarer wrote: »
    So can you add this to your other channels, redo the card trick, and it'll be in the EPG?

It looks like some kind of test for 1080p so it'll probably disappear,try it but no doubt it'll be gone soon so hardly worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 32870037

I am waiting for a FTV card from Setanta do I call SKY in the UK to activate it to get the UK EPG.

32870037 wrote: »
    I waiting for a FTV card from Setanta do I call SKY in the UK to activate it to get the UK EPG.

not necessary to call, it's already got uk epg on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭dogtoffee

not necessary to call, it's already got uk epg on it.
    When you say it has the UK EPG are the ftv channels unlocked I got a Ftv card from sky I had to call sky to get it activated to watch FTV

dogtoffee wrote: »
    When you say it has the UK EPG are the ftv channels unlocked I got a Ftv card from sky I had to call sky to get it activated to watch FTV
    Yes, channel 5's etc are already there & can be moved to our epg via the 'card trick' without calling anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 32870037

Yes, channel 5's etc are already there & can be moved to our epg via the 'card trick' without calling anyone.

What about Viva,LFCTV & Pick are they cleared with the card. I intend using it in a Mvision box. I will use a SKY box to keep it alive. Do I need to have it activated first to clear those channels?

32870037 wrote: »
    What about Viva,LFCTV & Pick are they cleared with the card. I intend using it in a Mvision box. I will use a SKY box to keep it alive. Do I need to have it activated first to clear those channels?

Did not check those as I don't watch them, not sure what will happen if you try & activate it with sky. I activated one with setanta & it changed to the irish epg. Not sure if you can activate it with sky if you ordered card via setanta. I previously got ftv card from sky, sent to a uk address & activated it using that address so they were none the wiser, make sure tel. no. is withheld if you do call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Chrizfitz

Gotta say thanks, read this yesterday and emailed them. Sure enough first thing this morning I have an email saying my card is on the way. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I done the same this morning and requested a ftv card from Setanta, I sent the email at 11am and got a reply at 11-30 saying the card was on its way. thanks bodonnell for the info :D

Posts 24 & 25, you are welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Posts 24 & 25, you are welcome

bodonnell when I get the card what do I do to make it work, any help appreciated and again thanks for that info.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    bodonnell when I get the card what do I do to make it work, any help appreciated and again thanks for that info.

if you are using it in sd boxes just put it in the box, if you are using it to do the 'card trick' on a hd box just follow the info given in the post 'how to get channel 5 etc on irish epg'. Do not call setanta or sky to activate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Eric Isherwood

gtg60 wrote: »
    Ah, that's interesting!

Ordered card this am and got a reply that they are ordered so what do i do when they arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tajom

what is setanta's e-mail address for this

• Advertisement

tajom wrote: »
    what is setanta's e-mail address for this

Just go to contact section on their website, fill in your contact details in the fields provided & that you are requesting a view card, then click submit

Advertisement