Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 4.0 Tablet (7" Capacitive, Wi-Fi, 1GHz) = €92

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭eamonnq

dMaN24 wrote: »
    No worries. Looks good. :)

Here's hoping the dollar dips a little more before ordering. :P

and don't forget to allow for the customs getting their hands on it and applying VAT and handling charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

Do i really need one? Not really.
    Can i really afford one at this stage? Not really.
    Will i be using it for a while and then just leave it on the kitchen table? Probably.
    Did i just order one? Yes.

Bargain Alerts.. I hate you.. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Do i really need one? Not really.
    Can i really afford one at this stage? Not really.
    Will i be using it for a while and then just leave it on the kitchen table? Probably.
    Did i just order one? Yes.

Bargain Alerts.. I hate you.. :P

Lol, perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭k123456

I have the Elf, fast once you load a faster Rom, but avoid Pandawill

Is there any rom's out there able to read more than the 8gb limit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

it's here! only took a month!:pac:

the beauty that arrived today is the ainol novo advanced ii, running android 4.0.1 baseband version 0.4. a little heavier than i expected, and annoyingly enough the case i ordered for it covers the charger and headphone sockets. i'm impressed with the screen responsiveness though. if this is a step down from the aurora then the aurora must be amazing. the speakers are also much better than i expected, small tiny wee bit tinny but i might pick up a set of portables at some stage. all i really wanted it for was reading e-books, viewing movies and the occasional gawk at facebook and if i can it to do that i'll be happy.

now i need help. if someone could take my hand and gently guide me i would be very VERY grateful.

so far i've been able to:

sideload the aldiko app and load some e-pub files onto the hard drive. also
    sideload a media player that *actually* recognises avi files [mx video player] - i have avi files on an sd card and it can read them - all good.

what i can't do is the following:

some e-pub files i have just won't load onto the tablet itself. they'll go onto the sd card alright but i can't seem to find the sd card once i go into aldiko.
    i can't seem to be able to load pdf e-books onto the tablet at all - tried directly and through calibre - just won't work. i have them on the sd card but can't copy them over to the tablet - won't work, and as i said i can't find the sd card once i go into aldiko.

then... is there anywhere trustworthy that i can install an english android marketplace from? i've trawled through a few android forums but to be honest i'm wary. you get someone posting a script and then a few pple say it's the best thing since sliced bread - then a few posts later you have a load of pple say they've bricked their tablet...??

i have the market [or google play or whatever they call it] apk file downloaded and i can copy it onto the tablet, but when i try and open it the screen just flashes and it closes again. i did a factory reset, tried it again, same thing. and just for good measure i loaded it, turned it off and on again and that didn't work either.

sorry for all the questions but if someone could help me with these that'd be great. don't let my using of tech terms fool you though - i only know the basics. you may have to talk slowly and loudly :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

i got my aurora yesterday and love it.... The only problem is that i cant get flash to work... anyone else have this problem?....

For 150 i think its a great bargain and i feel sorry for all the saps queuing up to buy ipads for 4 times the price when they dont do all that much extra?

jobless wrote: »
    i got my aurora yesterday and love it.... The only problem is that i cant get flash to work... anyone else have this problem?....

For 150 i think its a great bargain and i feel sorry for all the saps queuing up to buy ipads for 4 times the price when they dont do all that much extra?

and you have a MicroSD slot, a usb connection and a HDMI out that the Ipad does not !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 simmona

Regarding the build quality and performance, all Ainol tabs suck if you compare Aurora with SmartQ. SmartQ is the best among those tabs from China.

If you work at Customs... Please don't read this: :D
    IMPORTANT:We have declared it as Digital Photo Frame(gift) with 40USD/pc for you on the invoice. Please do not provide real payment details to Customs if they ask you to show payment proof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Yeah, the company I bought off of via amazon said it was tablet PC accessories and but a value of $49 on it. I got mine sent to the UK but I didnt have to pay customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

which tab did you order and where from? i want to order another one in the next few days.

http://offers.dealextreme.com/team.php?id=1298

This seems to be decent enough, but not much sign of custom roms etc. so might have to be used as is.

Also they don't tend to have loads of these available on their offers so you might have to be quick (if you decide you want one!).

Tut Tut :D

Corruption affected "every level of Irish political life and was allowed to continue unabated"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Can't help but notice that a lot of these posts are looking for tech help and problems using basic functions. I'm not averse to mucking around with PCs or laptops to improve them, but if all I want to use a tablet for is web browsing and watching video, would I not be better off just going into PCWorld etc and paying €200 for a tablet that'll do that and save myself some hassle. And if Thats the case, can someone recommend one that will do just that in a bricks and mortar store

Chriscl1 wrote: »
    which tab did you order and where from? i want to order another one in the next few days.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/905217/211272768-521542204/Ainol-NOVO-7-ELF-with-Android-4-0-Ice-Cream-Tablet-PC.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Can't help but notice that a lot of these posts are looking for tech help and problems using basic functions. I'm not averse to mucking around with PCs or laptops to improve them, but if all I want to use a tablet for is web browsing and watching video, would I not be better off just going into PCWorld etc and paying €200 for a tablet that'll do that and save myself some hassle. And if Thats the case, can someone recommend one that will do just that in a bricks and mortar store

How about just getting Blackberry Playbook then?

16gb version should cost you about 220 Eurosfrom Brick and mortar store,easy to use and suitable for your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Jarren wrote: »

16gb version should cost you about 220 Eurosfrom Brick and mortar store,easy to use and suitable for your needs.

I totally agree, with Jarren and fergiesfolly. The build quality of the Playbook and the maturity of version 2.0 OS makes it a perfectly viable choice.

Had I known, before ordering my Aurora, about the cat and mouse shenanigans, trying to get Android Market\Play Store to stay stable or act normally (all apps visible..), I'd have bought a Playbook instead.

Not just from the hardware perspective, but I don't want to be a Google slave, quite happy to avail of their services, but on my own terms.

Anyone with hardware and software issues could do no worse than browse here:

Main forums: http://www.slatedroid.com/

Ainol specific: http://www.slatedroid.com/forum/274-allwinner-a10-cpu-devices/

I have another 2 weeks before mine arrives, if ever..

Amalgam wrote: »
    I totally agree, with Jarren and fergiesfolly. The build quality of the Playbook and the maturity of version 2.0 OS makes it a perfectly viable choice.

Had I known, before ordering my Aurora, about the cat and mouse shenanigans, trying to get Android Market\Play Store to stay stable or act normally (all apps visible..), I'd have bought a Playbook instead.

Not just from the hardware perspective, but I don't want to be a Google slave, quite happy to avail of their services, but on my own terms.

Anyone with hardware and software issues could do no worse than browse here:

Main forums: http://www.slatedroid.com/

Ainol specific: http://www.slatedroid.com/forum/274-allwinner-a10-cpu-devices/

I have another 2 weeks before mine arrives, if ever..

I think they work 'quite well' out of the box, some things however can be improved upon easily and make them well worth doing.

The aurora is a lovely tablet with an excellent quality screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Jarren wrote: »

Was there some issue about the Playbook having to sync with a blackberry phone for some services to work?
    I know, I know. Lazy. I'll google it, but I'm, gettin sick of googling tablets. I'll spend less time on it, when I have it, than I have looking for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Was there some issue about the Playbook having to sync with a blackberry phone for some services to work?
    I know, I know. Lazy. I'll google it, but I'm, gettin sick of googling tablets. I'll spend less time on it, when I have it, than I have looking for one.

No they changed that with a software update.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Gloam wrote: »
    Got delivery of the Ainoi Novo 7 Paladin from the OP this morning. Seems to be working fine, except for the fact that Mac OS and Windows don't recognize it as a storage device, as a result I'm unable to install the clean ROM that was suggested a few posts back. Can anyone help?
    I have a similar problem, just got a Paladin as a gift and every time I look at the MicroSD card it says its broken and needs to reformat, so I let it format and then a while later its broken again, I installed the drivers manually myself but it hasn't made much difference.

My pad left Hong Kong yesterday. Any estimates on when i can expect it? Shipped with DHL.

My pad left Hong Kong yesterday. Any estimates on when i can expect it? Shipped with DHL.

Tomorrow or Wednesday I would say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

My Paladin shipped from China on Friday, seemingly, despite Focalprice telling me it shipped two weeks previously. Should have it this week then. Pity I'm getting it delivered to the homeplace in Galway rather than where I am in Dublin (I wouldn't be able to collect).

Proxy wrote: »
    My Paladin shipped from China on Friday, seemingly, despite Focalprice telling me it shipped two weeks previously. Should have it this week then. Pity I'm getting it delivered to the homeplace in Galway rather than where I am in Dublin (I wouldn't be able to collect).

Don't hold your breath!!, post from China can be ridiculously slow sometimes, 30-45 days is not unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,434 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

For regular post, sure.
    When using a courier (DHL/EMS), it's generally quicker.

Mr E wrote: »
    For regular post, sure.
    When using a courier (DHL/EMS), it's generally quicker.

Ooops, of course, I just assumed that it was coming via regular post.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Paddy_man

Proxy wrote: »

Proxy, You might be lucky by shipping it to Galway. Mine was held up in customs, sent though the Paperwork to DHL, Tablet arrived the next day with NO extra charges :)

Unfortunately I'm having touchscreen issues though, seems to read pressure (a touch) on one corner without touching it every few mins, might have to open her up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭take everything

Anyone know which rom i can update to.
    There are Chinese and English ROMs available- does it matter which ones i apply.
    I was given this link when i asked.
    http://www.uplaytablet.com/ainol-has-released-android-4-0-3-firmware-upgrade-for-novo-7-aurora-and-elf/
    I downloaded novo7ess_aurora_rom_v0_3.

Anyone know if this is suitable. :confused:
    Battery life on standby isn't great so i'm hoping a new ROM will help.

Advertisement