Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing Students

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Sweet, gradually starting to get a hang of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

siblers wrote: »
    Sweet, gradually starting to get a hang of it.
    Yeah me too I know what I want to do and the code just a few syntax errors to keep an eye on

Oh god, Operating Systems is beyond tedious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Is that still on from 9-11 on a Monday morning?

We Have the lecture 2-4 wednesday, reckon ill do my tutorial sheet in Com.Architecture in our next class. Get some use out of the 2 hours

• Advertisement

Bad news, I ve done Operating Systems and it don,t get any better sorry !!
    Yawwwnnnnnn.

We Have the lecture 2-4 wednesday,

They must have learned from us so because you could count the number of people on one hand who went to that on a monday morning. Lectures in the morning do not work for most people I would say, at least if it's a practical you have to engage the brain and that stops you from falling asleep.

What have the CA's been like so far anyone?

Ours was fierce handy, just a fairly basic program using switch and the joptionpane.

Ours was fierce handy, just a fairly basic program using switch and the joptionpane.
    Sounds good here,s hoping for the same

• Advertisement

Jeez lads tis gone awful quiet , any craic ??

Not a whole lot going on really, 2nd semester is alright so far. Personally I'm fairly worried about Operating Systems, how I'm gonna memorize it for the exams I do not know. Was struggling a bit with CSS but it is finally starting to come together. Java not too bad either, up to date with all the lab sheets so happy enough with that. Digital Imaging project is grand r as well, although I reckon I'll struggle to include all the features we were doing in class. Computer Architecture is a piece of piece so far.

Anyone else finding it quite hard doing work outside of class? I never miss classes and when on campus I do the work, but once I get home I don't do a tap. Come 4:00pm I am shattered, no energy at all compared to 1st semester.

Not a whole lot going on really, 2nd semester is alright so far. Personally I'm fairly worried about Operating Systems, how I'm gonna memorize it for the exams I do not know. Was struggling a bit with CSS but it is finally starting to come together. Java not too bad either, up to date with all the lab sheets so happy enough with that. Digital Imaging project is grand r as well, although I reckon I'll struggle to include all the features we were doing in class. Computer Architecture is a piece of piece so far.

Anyone else finding it quite hard doing work outside of class? I never miss classes and when on campus I do the work, but once I get home I don't do a tap. Come 4:00pm I am shattered, no energy at all compared to 1st semester.
    Finding it very hard to get motivated this semester but struggling along ok, Digital Imaging seeming pretty poorly designed module at the moment getting 0 feedback or input, rest is ok CSS is good but forget loads of tags since 1st semester Java is ok but next CA should be interesting good few beginning to struggle badly recently.

JFlah wrote: »
    Finding it very hard to get motivated this semester but struggling along ok, Digital Imaging seeming pretty poorly designed module at the moment getting 0 feedback or input, rest is ok CSS is good but forget loads of tags since 1st semester Java is ok but next CA should be interesting good few beginning to struggle badly recently.

Yeah Java seems to be make or break for most students this semester,. Also finding attendances in classes are way down compared to first semester, loads of fellas only sticking around for half a lecture and then going away early which I personally find a bit mad. Especially for java and css. Fair aul step up from Semsester one in fairness.

Yeah OOP1 is a big step up from Intro to programming. The dropout rates are atrocious after Christmas and again after the summer. If there's 50 in your class now you'll be looking at <20 next year and less again for third year.

Snowed under with project work at the moment, any second years here? How are your projects going?

Yeah the biggest thing I,ve noticed is attendance or lack of it, seems to be a vicious circle the more u miss the further behind you are and the more in the **** you are so you attend even less. I,m enjoying oop1 more than JBasic seems to make a little more sense to me but a serious struggle if you fall behind i,d imagine

This is a long shot...:D

Anyone want to take part in a usability test next tuesday? Anytime between nine to eleven. It should only take ten minutes. We're just trying out some software we developed.

It's really more about performing the test than anything. It's for the Human Computer Interaction module we're currently doing.

Tea/Coffee & scones/donuts will be provided!

Opinicus wrote: »
    Yeah OOP1 is a big step up from Intro to programming. The dropout rates are atrocious after Christmas and again after the summer. If there's 50 in your class now you'll be looking at <20 next year and less again for third year.

Snowed under with project work at the moment, any second years here? How are your projects going?
    All I can say is thank god for the first CA being so easy, 10%in the bag and we have another CA after rag week worth 25%. If I could get 17/18% in that I'd be delighted. I really don't want to be another statistic who dropped out because of Java, just finding that the labsheets are being piled on a bit too quickly, realistaclly could do with another 3 hour lab class a week.

You should probably send out an email for your project to the computing students, seems pretty interesting. I'd go but wont be availble at that time.

This is a long shot...:D

Anyone want to take part in a usability test next tuesday? Anytime between nine to eleven. It should only take ten minutes. We're just trying out some software we developed.

It's really more about performing the test than anything. It's for the Human Computer Interaction module we're currently doing.

Tea/Coffee & scones/donuts will be provided!
    I have some free time between 9 and 10 if it's any good to you

JFlah wrote: »
    I have some free time between 9 and 10 if it's any good to you

I'll pm you later on!

You should probably send out an email for your project to the computing students, seems pretty interesting. I'd go but wont be availble at that time.

Good idea but I was looking at the timetables and most computing students seem to have class then, I'll chance it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭lukin

Former Bsc in Software Dev student here (graduated in 2007). Just wondering what the course content is like now?
    When I was there it was like so:

Two year Cert in Computing

• Java basics (loops, if statements etc.)
    • VB6 (same stuff as in Java)
    • Web Development
    • Databases
    • Digital Media
    • Communications
    • Computer Applications
    • Maths
    • Systems Analysis and Design
    • Java Programming
    • Networks

Add on degree;

• Graphic User Interfaces
    • Software Engineering
    • Databases
    • Networks
    • Maths
    • Object Oriented Programming
    • Project

Final year Hons degree;

• Artificial Intelligence
    • Software Component Engineering
    • Digital Image Processing
    • Object Oriented Databases
    • Project Management
    • Software Quality Management
    • Project in Java
    • Networks & Distributed Systems
    • Work Experience

It's probably changed around a fair bit? Is there much .NET in the course now?There was very little when I was there, I actually ended up working in .NET after despite not writing a line of it in college :)

Big thanks to JFlah who helped us out with our usability testing today. When we finally got going!:D

Protip: Some of the lab printers have been contracted out to the IBS print booth to refill now, takes a little bit longer to get them refilled now than when the technicians used to do it.

lukin wrote: »
    Former Bsc in Software Dev student here (graduated in 2007). Just wondering what the course content is like now?

It's probably changed around a fair bit? Is there much .NET in the course now?There was very little when I was there, I actually ended up working in .NET after despite not writing a line of it in college :)

Hey lukin, 3rd year SWdev student here. The majority of the course is the same.

There is a focus on OOP right from first year, through Java. A lot of the modules are probably just retitled i.e. Graphical User Interfaces => Human Computer Interaction etc.

Very little VB.net, we did our 2nd year project in it, just a simple add/amend/delete app.

.NET => we do 2 modules in 3rd year through C#.net and it's not that different from Java, although not much emphasis has really been placed on the framework really. There is a lot to take in and a lot of overhead with the tools available through VS2010/TFS, you could spend a nice bit of time just concentrating on them alone.

The course is a straight 3 year degree now followed by a one year addon for the honours. Any tips for a prospective future developer? Any advice regarding what I should maybe concentrate on learning in my own time? Feel free to pm me if you want.

Big thanks to JFlah who helped us out with our usability testing today. When we finally got going!:D

Protip: Some of the lab printers have been contracted out to the IBS print booth to refill now, takes a little bit longer to get them refilled now than when the technicians used to do it.

There is a focus on OOP right from first year, through Java. A lot of the modules are probably just retitled i.e. Graphical User Interfaces => Human Computer Interaction etc.

Very little VB.net, we did our 2nd year project in it, just a simple add/amend/delete app.

.NET => we do 2 modules in 3rd year through C#.net and it's not that different from Java, although not much emphasis has really been placed on the framework really. There is a lot to take in and a lot of overhead with the tools available through VS2010/TFS, you could spend a nice bit of time just concentrating on them alone.

The course is a straight 3 year degree now followed by a one year addon for the honours. Any tips for a prospective future developer? Any advice regarding what I should maybe concentrate on learning in my own time? Feel free to pm me if you want.
    Was my pleasure , Thanks for the coffees :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭lukin

Ye are doing VB.NET in second year?We did VB6, unless you meant VB6.
    The app we did in second year was the same; simple add/amend/delete program.
    I'm surprised the content is the same, five years is a long time in Software Dev., a lot of stuff changes. They have got rid of the work experience, pity,it's nice to have on your CV.
    I could pm you some advice but you don't accept pms in your profile, if you change it I'll send you some advice. It's a good course and you are on the home straight, third year is the toughest but if you keep the head down you'll be grand and get a good degree. A good few developer jobs out there at the moment, hopefully there will be even more when you guys graduate.

Ye are doing VB.NET in second year?We did VB6, unless you meant VB6.

It was VB.NET using VS, but we didn't get into it in any detail.

I'm surprised the content is the same, five years is a long time in Software Dev., a lot of stuff changes. They have got rid of the work experience, pity,it's nice to have on your CV.

The topics are probably the same but there is emphasis placed on where technologies are going/innovations as well as getting a good grounding in things that are staples. I think there is placement in the second semester of 4th year. (hopefully!)

I could pm you some advice but you don't accept pms in your profile, if you change it I'll send you some advice. It's a good course and you are on the home straight, third year is the toughest but if you keep the head down you'll be grand and get a good degree. A good few developer jobs out there at the moment, hopefully there will be even more when you guys graduate.

I accept PMs, just checked my settings there to be sure. I'll fire you one and you can hit reply if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Hey Guys,

How's the studying going for CA2 in OOP1?

Big one next week, 25% of total mark. Will be some sweat spilled in the lab :D

Oh god, absolutley dreading it. Just want it over with to be honest. Im also dreading whatever exams we will have in Operating Systems, those algorithms for FCFS etc are so badly explained in class it's really frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Oh god, absolutley dreading it. Just want it over with to be honest. Im also dreading whatever exams we will have in Operating Systems, those algorithms for FCFS etc are so badly explained in class it's really frustrating.

I'm dreading the validation. My biggest problem is brain block with some of the questions. Just figuring out how to approach them. Writing out in pseudocode may help.

OS is painful. It's just so painfully boring. I can't read more than 2 of the printouts before putting them away. Don't know how I'm going to study it.

The labsheets in Operating Systems are awfully tedious too, couple of the questions I hadn't a clue how to answer them, the 10% they are worth will be fairly important I think, I'd be more than happy to scrape a 40% pass in that. Digital Imaging, Web Design and Computer Architecture are grand really, but then OOP and OS are pretty brutal. The next 3 weeks be fairly hellish, get through them with half decent marks and I'll be delighted.

• Advertisement

Dear God ...... I have Java coming out my eyeballs!!!

Advertisement