Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert English 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

ah i was so hoping Pride & Prejudice would be one of the books :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

thanks man havent been told what was on..

• Registered Users Posts: 13 davidc9546

kevin12345 wrote: »
    The English syllabus for our Leaving Cert is out :D

Wish i could be as excited... :L

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Iamhobbi

I'm happy with it! My school has sent us a letter out with the novels and film our class will be studying! We are doing circle of friends (which I've read and watched and loved), how many miles to Babylon? (which we have in my house and I've decided to read and so far I like it), Macbeth (which I will probably read over the summer) and the constant gardener (for our film and I've read the book of and enjoyed) so I'm very pleased in what I've gotten as all but Macbeth I've read or currently reading so I'll already know a fair idea if it come September! I have no idea which poems we are studying of each of the 8 poets we will most likely do all of them though! May learn a few of the shakespearen sonnets over the summer to get them outta the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

No Robert Frost... :(

I studied 2 of his poem for JC and really liked his style. He was enjoyable to read. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

If Sylvia Plath comes up on the LC next year I will cry, I'm so glad we got her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I find Sylvia Plath's poems too depressing to read so really I'm not looking forward to study it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Macushlablue

Macbeth is a fabulous play, and by far the easiest and most exciting of the four Shakespearean tragedies that come up. Enjoy!

Of the past poets, I would have loved to have gotten Frost. Really enjoy his stuff. :/

Regardless, Gerard Manley Hopkins can be enjoyable, but I don't know the other poets other than by name so no opinions yet.

Macbeth as our Shakespearean play.

As for our comparative texts, we were told today that we'd be studying "Sive" by John B. Keane, "Circle of Friends" by Maeve Binchy(ugh!) and "Casablanca" as our film.

our class are doing macbeth as the compassion and the grass is singing as the single

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Macushlablue

Jackobyte wrote: »
    As for our comparative texts, we were told today that we'd be studying "Sive" by John B. Keane, "Circle of Friends" by Maeve Binchy(ugh!) and "Casablanca" as our film.

Definitely 'ugh!' to Circle of Friends. While it's a very good novel in terms of reading, it's a ridiculous inclusion on the Leaving Cert list. I'm not being snobbish about Binchy at all, but it's a very, very long novel with a huge list of minor characters and just isn't exciting enough to sustain students' interest. There is a film on it, which can sometimes help, but as far as I remember, it doesn't include most of the book so that's out!

Definitely 'ugh!' to Circle of Friends. While it's a very good novel in terms of reading, it's a ridiculous inclusion on the Leaving Cert list. I'm not being snobbish about Binchy at all, but it's a very, very long novel with a huge list of minor characters and just isn't exciting enough to sustain students' interest. There is a film on it, which can sometimes help, but as far as I remember, it doesn't include most of the book so that's out!
    Length doesn't bother me. Subject matter does. Currently working my way through a 5 book series, all around 800 pages of the smallest size print.

lads and ladies who is not doing macbeth as a single text(HL) . would be interesting to know mabey op could most a poll

my class are doing the grass is singing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DeclanToohey

Wait I'm confused, does this mean that if I do my junior cert this year, skip TY and go straight to fifth year, will I be doing these novels, poems, plays?

Wait I'm confused, does this mean that if I do my junior cert this year, skip TY and go straight to fifth year, will I be doing these novels, poems, plays?

what?
    this is the course for people who will sit down in june 2013 and sit the exam , not when you start the course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ash2012

hey :) anyone have an idea of what text to do with Purple hibiscus and the constant gardener for the comparative? i am doing macbeth as the stand alone text...any links and info would be greatly appreciated!!! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12 stevek2840

i really want elizabeth bishop to come up lots to talk about in her poems!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

So do we just like study from this for our English?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 stevek2840

Hi does any body know where I can get notes on translations by Brian friel on the Internet as I can't find any..please help even teacher couldn't find any. It's for cultural context if that helps. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭fishnetsxD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 nickyh

hi my teacher gave me a question to do for homework and I don't know how to do it at all , its '' write a facebook style profile that you think would match shane o reilly'' its under a comprehension and its basically is just about a girl describing him, he was her first crush?? anyone have any ideas where to start

nickyh wrote: »
    hi my teacher gave me a question to do for homework and I don't know how to do it at all , its '' write a facebook style profile that you think would match shane o reilly'' its under a comprehension and its basically is just about a girl describing him, he was her first crush?? anyone have any ideas where to start
    no
    i havent got a clue about what that is.
    a Comprehension is an essay. Facebook profile is about a few words here and there about yourself.

Does your teacher mean a blog type thing?

Does you teacher actual knows what facebook is?

Is this from a book or the inner workings of your teachers head?

its in the folens book complete English.

you know in the exam papers where there is a question a and b

this is the question b part :/

I don't no how you can write a facebook profile :L its mostely pics and stuff like haha

its in the folens book complete English.

you know in the exam papers where there is a question a and b

this is the question b part :/

I don't no how you can write a facebook profile :L its mostely pics and stuff like haha
    what page is that ?
    I would say write a blog. In the leaving cert , they can not expect people to know what facebook is. If your asked in class say that "social networking is for the morally bankrupt and that you do Not subscribe to such"

I presume a blog type thing is what there at

[ Also, Could a mod maybe move this thread. I know i am not the thread started , but it would be more appropriated in the leaving cert forum , now that the years have moved on. ]

yeah ill just do that and say I didn't really no what to do, as long as I attemped it she will be grand haha, its d teachers book thing she gave me ha

yeah ill just do that and say I didn't really no what to do, as long as I attemped it she will be grand haha, its d teachers book thing she gave me ha

Hope it helped. a "facebook style profile" is moving more into the art category , and very little Correct or "fancy" English is used on facebook :L

Advertisement