Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More great news for Knock airport

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IsaacWunder

This €10 charge is a shakedown.

Is it any wonder O'Leary's a fan of it?

Shame on Knock Airport :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

As explained in my previous post EVERY airport has a departure tax - it is just charged either a) as part of your ticket under "taxes and fees" b) as a seperate charge you pay at the airport.

As I said, Ryanair like method B, because your ticket then seems cheaper. In fact they threw their toys out of the pram when Knock tried to add this fee onto ticket prices. Hence, you have to pay this charge on departure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Problem is you pay Ryanair precisely €0 airport charges (taxes and fees) out of Knock according to the Ryanair website and then you get mugged for supplementary charges by the airport itself. :(

All charges should be DISCLOSED and COMPLETE and UPFRONT....ie along with the ticket on purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭joey12

Well I'm more than happy to pay it, the airport is a great asset to have here in the west. Why can't people just be grateful we an airport that is growing in the west and not die a death like Galway has. Knock has done extremely well for itself, it doesn't have the lobby Shannon has.

The departure fee has been in place for more than ten years, the way it comes across here is than its something new...Galway introduced a fee very recently too.

On a side note when knock did introduce it back in 2000 I think...Ryanair did threaten to pull (or maybe they planned on it) then knock turned around and said "well that's ok we have a replacement carrier in the form of Virgin Express" they're minds soon changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Masala

On a side note when knock did introduce it back in 2000 I think...Ryanair did threaten to pull (or maybe they planned on it) then knock turned around and said "well that's ok we have a replacement carrier in the form of Virgin Express" they're minds soon changed.

...Joey... find that hard to believe!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Problem is you pay Ryanair precisely €0 airport charges (taxes and fees) out of Knock according to the Ryanair website and then you get mugged for supplementary charges by the airport itself. :(

All charges should be DISCLOSED and COMPLETE and UPFRONT....ie along with the ticket on purchase.

As per the post above Ryanair did but stopped disclosing it when they upgraded their website - perhaps your beef should really be with them for not doing so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Masala

Joey.....

I tip my hat to you and profusely apologise for questioning you!!! Time hasn't been good to me on the memory front!!! 1999 is a distant memory!!

Masala

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Vancouver charges a departure tax as does Bangkok so add them to the list
    YVR must have got rid of it before the Olympics because they don't separately charge now.

Masala, just popped into my head to be honest google has all the answers...
    But stn-noc was one of ryanair's very lucrative routes when the 800s came on boards knock got them very early on. Obvious I'd imagine things have change with lon-noc market with all the competition now.

I hear the guys in noc are getting 4 million for some infrastructure work maybe that will include the apron extension.

• Advertisement

joey12 wrote: »
    Well I'm more than happy to pay it, the airport is a great asset to have here in the west. Why can't people just be grateful we an airport that is growing in the west and not die a death like Galway has. Knock has done extremely well for itself, it doesn't have the lobby Shannon has.

The departure fee has been in place for more than ten years, the way it comes across here is than its something new...Galway introduced a fee very recently too.

Ryanair were certainly not scared of Virgin Express. They demolished them at Shannon and could have done the same at Knock.

Knock proposed to collect as part of the cost of the ticket. Ryanair objected. So you have the method of collection we have today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Humm, impossible to fly in, do a days business in the west and fly out in one day! Tourist tiimetable only. That timetable is evidently for a regime where no aircraft is actually based in Knock. The airport will be in use from 7am to 1am if one is based there.

In fairness, tourism is the biggest business in that part of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

AngryLips wrote: »
    In fairness, tourism is the biggest business in that part of the country

Doesn't mean that should be at the expense of those wanting to do business....

If there are more tourists than business people, then clearly this is what's going to happen.

The capacity will follow the demand. Those in business should know that.

So by the looks of things the European routes are being pulled a month earlier as well as Leeds. Have this flights been a flop for the airport? Certainly doesn't look very promising for next year.

The winter will be very quiet now with BMIbaby gone.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This thread seems to be one giant pimping out of Knock Airport.:rolleyes:

I'm sure Knock will keep its head above water but IMO the main airport serving the west is and should continue to be Shannon.

Shannon is located between Galway and Limerick - the two largest urban centres in the West and Shannon also has the capacity for growth in terms of its runway infrastructure, terminal facilities (although the airport could do with a rebuilt pier area) and transport system.

I see Knock as a regional/provincial airport with some important cross channel (to UK) and European routes but Shannon as an truly international one.

Shannon really needs to be doing more to attract new aviation routes and business.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

To be honest given the size of Ireland there really should be only one long distance (Transatlantic, Middle East, etc.) airport in Ireland and obviously that is Dublin.

Specially now that Dublin Airport is within three hours of every city in Ireland. In the US, a state (often much larger area then Ireland) will only have one major airport, never mind an international one.

Cork, Shannon, Knock, etc. are all short distance (UK, Europe) airports.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

bk wrote: »
    . In the US, a state (often much larger area then Ireland) will only have one major airport, never mind an international one.

They will usually, however, have regional jets pouring in from every corner of the state to feed traffic to it.

Which could work here but would be reliant on the regional airports not actively seeking their own routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

Shannon is still a gateway to the West for US traffic and some people in the US, my relatives included, prefer to land in Shannon and immediately experience what they see as 'Ireland'...hills in Galway, pubs in Kerry...not the M50 or Terminal 2 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭yer man!

I prefer to fly from Shannon when I can, I live in Galway, it's like 50 mins from my house by car and is a much easier airport to navigate compared to Dublin. Travelling to dublin can be quite expensive also when you factor in tolls and fuel and the 2 hours driving on a really boring road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

You can also park right in front of the terminal building at Shannon, not miles away needing to take a bus to get to the airport, in general there are no long queues and hassles to get through security, the staff are fantastic at Shannon - friendly, cheerful, happy to see you - compared to the endless amount of rude, downright ignorant people that seem to be employed at Dublin airport (I'm sure there are some exceptions before someone gets upset..) - I travel very frequently and never fail to be ashamed that this is the first view a lot of tourists have of Ireland.

As for Knock, this would be the nearest airport to me but one I rarely use after years of being diverted every time I tried to fly into the place due to fog. I know equipment has been upgraded now which is great, but their 10 euro development fee really bugs me. It may be "only 10 euro" but for a family with three or four kids travelling on a budget holiday to Spain or such, it really adds up.
    I know a lot of people who feel the same - I'd take Shannon any day, and happily pay a little more to fly out of there rather than Dublin.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Shannon is still a gateway to the West for US traffic and some people in the US, my relatives included, prefer to land in Shannon and immediately experience what they see as 'Ireland'...hills in Galway, pubs in Kerry...not the M50 or Terminal 2 :cool:

That is all lovely, but is the Irish taxpayers supposed to continue heavily subsidising an airport just because some tourist loves the twee Irishness of it all!!

Are you really saying that all the folks from the US will stop coming just because they have to make a two hour drive on a very nice motorway, what rubbish.

Things like this and the convenience for people of Galway and Limerick is all nice, but in the end someone has to pay for it, and if it isn't paying for itself, then we have to ask is it worth continue to support it?

• R0C wrote: »
    As for Knock, this would be the nearest airport to me but one I rarely use after years of being diverted every time I tried to fly into the place due to fog. I know equipment has been upgraded now which is great, but their 10 euro development fee really bugs me. It may be "only 10 euro" but for a family with three or four kids travelling on a budget holiday to Spain or such, it really adds up.
    I know a lot of people who feel the same - I'd take Shannon any day, and happily pay a little more to fly out of there rather than Dublin.

So you'd rather pay more to fly out of Shannon over Dublin, but yet complain that Knock charges that little bit more even thought nearly all Knocks routes to the same destinations are cheaper:rolleyes:. Knock does not charge for Children 12 and under. Luckily for you the Taxpayer are still bailing out Shannon and subsidising your flights.

So you'd rather pay more to fly out of Shannon over Dublin, but yet complain that Knock charges that little bit more even thought nearly all Knocks routes to the same destinations are cheaper:rolleyes:. Knock does not charge for Children 12 and under. Luckily for you the Taxpayer are still bailing out Shannon and subsidising your flights.

Taliyah Odd Armchair it's clear that you are just a cheerleader for Knock airport no matter what. Can you even take an ever so slightly objective look at the role Knock airport plays in general Irish aviation? Knock is a regional/provincial airport and is not on same the level as Cork or Shannon.

It's not the only airport in the entire country, you know.:rolleyes:

• JupiterKid wrote: »
    Taliyah Odd Armchair it's clear that you are just a cheerleader for Knock airport no matter what. Can you even take an ever so slightly objective look at the role Knock airport plays in general Irish aviation? Knock is a regional/provincial airport and is not on same the level as Cork or Shannon.

It's not the only airport in the entire country, you know.:rolleyes:

Of course im a cheerleader for it i live beside it, unless you have the low level of local infrastructure that this region has you can not understand. It has brought a large amount of jobs and tourism to the region.

However that still doesn't mean im not objective. Read my posts i've always said that Knock was only a regional airport. It does cover a massive low density region Longford- Galway - Donegal and parts of the North (A full region that does not have any motorways to allow easy access to other airports) Dublin should be the only airport serving non-european long haul destinations. All others are nothing but regional airports serving relatively tiny populations.
    Do you think Shannon should continue to be massively subsidised no matter how badly its run or undesired ? Also what is your problem with Knock, you now have a number of posts against it ? You dont pay for or contribute to it ? What is it about the success of this small regional airport that upsets you so much ? You appear to have a massive pro shannon bias for some reason, even with customers from the West and North west preferring Knock. You may want to look at a map and realise just how far south on the west coast Shannon is. It like Cork serves the South much more than the West or North West.

You'd prefer some of the anti Knock crap that was previously posted here went unchallenged ?

Of course im a cheerleader for it i live beside it, unless you have the low level of local infrastructure that this region has you can not understand. It has brought a large amount of jobs and tourism to the region.

However that still doesn't mean im not objective. Read my posts i've always said that Knock was only a regional airport. It does cover a massive low density region Longford- Galway - Donegal and parts of the North (A full region that does not have any motorways to allow easy access to other airports) Dublin should be the only airport serving non-european long haul destinations. Do you think Shannon should continue to be massively subsidised no matter how badly its run or undesired ? Also what is your problem with Knock, you now have a number of posts against it ? You dont pay for or contribute to it ? What is it about the success of this small regional airport that upsets you so much ? You appear to have a massive pro shannon bias for some reason, even with customers from the West and North west preferring Knock. You may want to look at a map and realise just how far south on the west coast Shannon is. It like Cork serves the South much more than the West or North West.

You'd prefer some of the anti Knock crap that was previously posted here went unchallenged ?

Wow. Just wow.

I mention that Shannon is, and should remain, the premier airport for the West coast and therefore that makes me somebody who is attacking Knock? :rolleyes: You my friend seem to be the one with an attack agenda here - one against Shannon and also against anyone here who dares to question your shilling of Knock.

Perhaps if you were not so blinkered in your views on Knock airport you would not see all these so-called "attacks" against Knock where, in reality, few if any really exist on this thread.

I see parallels with Sean Quinn's loyal band of supporters in Cavan who won't hear a bad word against him.

• JupiterKid wrote: »
    Wow. Just wow.

I mention that Shannon is, and should remain, the premier airport for the West coast and therefore that makes me somebody who is attacking Knock? :rolleyes: You my friend seem to be the one with an attack agenda here - one against Shannon and also against anyone here who dares to questions your shilling of Knock.

Perhaps if you were not so blinkered in your views on Knock airport you would not see all these so-called "attacks" against Knock where, in reality, few if any really exist on this thread.

I see parallels with Sean Quinn's loyal band of supporters in Cavan who won't hear a bad word against him.

Big difference is the passengers flying out of Knock pay for it and the its a non profit airport with funds invested in the region, so comparisons with Quinn are just plain stupid. Your entitled to your opinions, as i already said im biased:). Maybe if you understood the work entailed by locals to get this airport up and running and keep it there against certain interest groups you would understand my POV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I cannot fly out and back in to Knock in a day, I can in Shannon. Knock is a holiday airport only

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lotusm

I cannot fly out and back in to Knock in a day, I can in Shannon. Knock is a holiday airport only
    Cant understand why some people keep having a go at Knock airport. It is what it is... get over it :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement