Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Anniebell

Hi dublinlady,

You poor thing. My boy is 10 weeks now but I too suffered cracked & bleeding nipples at the start. Omg it's excruciating & definitely not normal. Please contact an LC as already advised. They are amazing & so helpful. A saint of an LC came out to me & spent two hours with me & my boy & we're flying at the BF ever since.

In my case he wasnt latching on exactly right & didn't have a tongue tie. I got sorted after that consultation & we still keep in touch if I have any questions or whatever.

Are you using any creams or compresses to help your nipples heal? I found the multimam compresses brilliant & the lansinoh cream too. Boots had the compresses on special offer a couple of weeks ago, not sure if the offer is finished now or not.

Hope you get some relief soon & get in touch with a lactation consultant. It's the best money you'll spend & you can claim part of the fee back on health insurance if you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

linute555, I'd really advise that you get in touch with a la Leche league or Cuidiu counsellor if you're serious about continuing to breastfeed. Realistically you can't keep up expressing to that regime for very much longer and nipple confusion is a common enough problem. Either a LLL or Cuidiu counsellor would be able to help you get your little fella latched back on to the breast.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

just wondering is it ok to add todays breastmilk to yesterdays to make up a full bottle to bring off with us?

also i seem to have a bit of a lump in my one of my breasts. i think ive had it before and it went. i even expressed after the feed to make sure the boob was empty. hopefully it will be gone tomorrow

red fraggle if the milk is in the fridge or freezer it should be fine. It sounds like a blocked duct.

Expressing after feeding is good. Use a hot water bottle before feeding to warm the breast as and a cold compress after feeding. Point your baby's chin in the direction of the lump when feeding. You can take ibuprofen as well to ease the inflammation.

red fraggle if the milk is in the fridge or freezer it should be fine. It sounds like a blocked duct.

Expressing after feeding is good. Use a hot water bottle before feeding to warm the breast as and a cold compress after feeding. Point your baby's chin in the direction of the lump when feeding. You can take ibuprofen as well to ease the inflammation.

thats great. thanks a mill. ya hav good advice!!! my brains not working tonight!! the milks in the fridge so thats grand i can add them together to make a bottle. thanks!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

So little A is 3 weeks on tue and the breast feeding has really settled down! My poor nipples have stopped bleeding etc and it's all pretty painless now!! Delighted! :)
    I've been using an avent manual pump after every feed to get a bottle ( she takes 3-3&1/2 oz) for her at night. The manual is ok but I'm just wondering if there's a big advantage to getting some sort of electric one like a medela? It takes me just about 5 mins to express an ounce so it's not too bad - just wondering in the future as I will be expressing larger quantities ? Just wondering really!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

At 5 weeks it takes me 20mins to get 1oz with the avent electric or te medula!! I havnt tried the manual. I hav no idea if he is emptying the breast so i was going to pump after each feed but i just cant find time. I love to be getting 1oz a day for my stash.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    At 5 weeks it takes me 20mins to get 1oz with the avent electric or te medula!! I havnt tried the manual. I hav no idea if he is emptying the breast so i was going to pump after each feed but i just cant find time. I love to be getting 1oz a day for my stash.

Oh wow - I didn't realise I was so speedy!! I really shouldn't be complaining at all then!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Dublinlady, if you're going to pump a lot in the future I'd recommend getting an electric pump. I found the Medela Swing great. I needed to have a full day's worth of bottles pumped every week from when my daughter was 10weeks. Also it works on batteries so I could pump in the back of the car on the day I was away. (I sell cakes at a market on Saturday). They are expensive new but lots of people seem to sell unused ones secondhand.

dublinlady wrote: »
    So little A is 3 weeks on tue and the breast feeding has really settled down! My poor nipples have stopped bleeding etc and it's all pretty painless now!! Delighted! :)
    I've been using an avent manual pump after every feed to get a bottle ( she takes 3-3&1/2 oz) for her at night. The manual is ok but I'm just wondering if there's a big advantage to getting some sort of electric one like a medela? It takes me just about 5 mins to express an ounce so it's not too bad - just wondering in the future as I will be expressing larger quantities ? Just wondering really!!

i got a free medela pump off the breastfeeding clinic in my local clinic. they told me they give them out free. my friend asked her public health nurse and she said they loan them out but she ended up gettin one to keep too. worth asking about! i also hav the tommee tippee one which i bought before i got the free one. i like both!

anyone know can you get bigger 'cup' things for the medela pump.

• Advertisement

mothercare have some parts, i got a swing from my sister in law, would love a double though! ......still cant believe dublinlady can get an oz in 5 mins!!

Hey ladies - anyone have any recommendation of where to get cheap cheap cheap breast feeding tops and dresses!? I've been trying to make do with what I have and really don't have a lot suitable! Because of the section id like daytime comfy dresses that I could wear with leggings! Also some long sleeved tops / jumpers that I could wear over track suit bottoms or soft trousers!
    I'd prefer to shop online as getting to dundrum or town seems an impossible mission at the mo!
    I tried penny's before I had her and couldn't really get suitable stuff so if rather specific breast feeding stuff!

Pennys have long viscose shirt dresses at €17 each.
    They also have button down jersey tops for €7, small fitting

I don't think breastfeeding clothes are affordable except perhaps for h&m and mothercare. I just ruled dresses out while feeding my son and I used to wear string vests under tops. M&S sell double pack of string vests which are longer so they hide the tummy. I didn't buy any breastfeeding specific clothes and found the string vests worked well for me.

If you want to buy some breastfeeding dresses then you'll have to be prepared to spend a bit. This is a really good website for breastfeeding clothes. If I were doing it again I'd buy a couple of nice dresses to mix and match with other clothes just for a change.

http://www.onceborn.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=2_19_45

i got long sleeve v neck tops in pennys in the stretchy material and im livin in them! dunnes also have them. i havnt breastfed in public yet tho but im sure i could manage with these tops... when im brave enough!!

red fraggle the string vest is fantastic because you lift up your top, pull the vest down at the breast and latch the baby on. No one sees anything except the back of your baby's head. I never mastered the shawl/scarf thing as my son would squirm and then my full boob would be exposed for all to see.

I personally hated tight tops on me as I felt they used to cling to the wobbly bits and/or ride up and expose the wobbly bits. But that was just me and my peculiarities!

red fraggle the string vest is fantastic because you lift up your top, pull the vest down at the breast and latch the baby on. No one sees anything except the back of your baby's head.

oh i see!!! il have to try this. id prob be very awkward id say!!

Ive tried this and it was grand, my usual top woth the really streachy vest from pennys inside. Even though i have to get a nipple shield on, i felt i was well covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

The string/ vest top under normal tops is what I do as well!
    Have bought no nursing clothes either.
    If you wanna do a dress version, you could get some dresses in awear (sale at the min), pennys etc, that have a couple of buttons down the front... open the buttons and pull the vest top underneath up instead of down and the top of the dress down. There aren't many dresses that will work for, but there are a few :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

one of the best things i have is a boobtube top from penneys, long to cover the woobly bits and just add underneath another top, outside up inside down on one side.
    i have a boob dress and i have it since pregnancy no 2, love it and it is so great for feeding in still.
    layers ftw, and the odd 'nice' dress or top is great.

• Advertisement

e is feeding every 2 hours yesterday and today. wore out. :rolleyes: she wil be 10 weeks this week:eek: could it be she is not gettin enough?? actually shes not feeding for quite as long maybe thats it. though its stil a 15/20 min feed.

red fraggle she could be going through a developmental leap or a bit of a growth spurt. The growth spurts are 2,4,6,12 weeks but every baby is different so she could be going through one at the moment. As long as you're feeding on cue then just go with it. They can be incredibly exhausting but it's her way of telling your body to make more milk because her appetite is increasing.

I found it very good to have healthy snacks or even plain biscuits to hand on days like this so you have something to munch on. A DVD box set can be a life saver too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

could be a growth spurt - we went through a few of them as well - E would sleep and feed nicely for weeks, and then bang! up every two hours or hour and a half, day and night, for a couple of days. You'll get through them, just don't plan anything exciting for those days since you won't be leaving the couch ;-)

hehe, HowStrange beat me to it ;-)

thanks how strange and galah!!! shes been feedin for the last hour now!! it must be a growth spurt. im feeding her when she wants it so some tv time and plain bickies for the week sounds like a plan, and ill have to plan a walk in between!! i ordered the wonder weeks book and thats after coming in so ill have to get to town to get that.:rolleyes:

i wont be doing any work/painting on my house this week!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 hibride

thanks how strange and galah!!! shes been feedin for the last hour now!! it must be a growth spurt. im feeding her when she wants it so some tv time and plain bickies for the week sounds like a plan, and ill have to plan a walk in between!! i ordered the wonder weeks book and thats after coming in so ill have to get to town to get that.:rolleyes:

i wont be doing any work/painting on my house this week!!!:D

Hi, my little one was feeding an average of one time every two hours for the first year and a half, so no worries hahahaha And the growth spurs were easy to spot, she would certainly breastfeed more often and for longer periods

hibride wrote: »
    Hi, my little one was feeding an average of one time every two hours for the first year and a half, so no worries hahahaha

:eek: oh my!! well e has no set hours. it was every 3-4 hours, then it was every 2 hours til midday then 4 hours then back to 2 hours. who knows!! as long as shes healthy!!

O my 6 week old is on the same as that. Glad to see that its not so off the wall. He usually sleeps for 5hrs at night but he can be at the boob the rest of the day. Also he doesnt sleep during the day at all.... Cant say its easy...

wmpdd3 next time I'm getting a sling so I can at least move around. My son loved the closeness of being held all the time

Just cant master feeding in the sling, pity it would be so handy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I can't get the hang of feeding in the sling either but find it's great for keeping herself quiet when I just have to get something done. As long as she knows the boob is nearby she seems chilled enough! I've had a weird couple of days with her, she's been sleeping loads, an almost worrying amount. I think it's because I had her outside in the pram. The weather has been gorgeous here, I think the fresh air knocked her out! I saw a photo recently of a creche in Sweden where the babies are wrapped up and put outside in their prams for a couple of hours every day, even when surrounded by snow drifts! Think I might have been a bit too cautious in the past about putting my guys out!

Advertisement