Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Features I never knew my car has

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Dean09 wrote: »
    Not a feature but an interesting design flaw I learned years ago was that on the old Corsa B, if you took out the hazard switch, flipped it upside down and put it back in and pressed it you'd get lights on the dash and could get the car started on a push!

Hah! I'll try that. Have a spare Corsa B sitting in the carpark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Not a feature but an interesting design flaw I learned years ago was that on the old Corsa B, if you took out the hazard switch, flipped it upside down and put it back in and pressed it you'd get lights on the dash and could get the car started on a push!

Thats the corsa A/Nova your thinking of;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Thats the corsa A/Nova your thinking of;)

Ah that's the one! I always get mixed up with the model numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Anyone with one of these better have an alarm on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

My car has a digital clock in the centre console that lights up when the car is running. There's a small flap beside it that flips down to reveal the buttons that adjust the time. It was only after having the car a few years that someone told me you can press the flap to make the clock light up when the car is off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

OSI wrote: »
    This morning I discovered my car has heated mirrors and launch control :D
    Launch control? What kinda machine are you running?

Tis a Golf GTI with the DSG box. Seems a lot of the DSG equipped VAG cars have it.
    Ah right. Yep, they do alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Tis a Golf GTI with the DSG box. Seems a lot of the DSG equipped VAG cars have it.

Whats Launch control:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

discovered on my mothers old 323 that if you pull the drivers door handle when the door is locked, the keyhole illuminates. Her newer one doesn't have this feature cos it has remote locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Just be careful how often you use it as each time is logged by the car and VW will know if you've been taking the mickey if you're going in for any warranty work! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Seriously? That kinda sucks. But tbh I would be surprised if it gets used more than once a year when I remember it's there and decide to test it out.

I've had it on my last 2 cars and never used it. Our race driver asked us to knock it off in the ECU because he starts without it, it's only a gimmick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Vertakill wrote: »
    Just be careful how often you use it as each time is logged by the car and VW will know if you've been taking the mickey if you're going in for any warranty work! :eek:

Mainly because launching is very hard on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Confab wrote: »
    Mainly because launching is very hard on the box.

Just like rooting! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Didn't realise I had fold in door mirrors on my Mondeo until I was adjusting the mirrors while driving one day and instead of moving the glass, they bloody closed on me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Seriously? That kinda sucks. But tbh I would be surprised if it gets used more than once a year when I remember it's there and decide to test it out.

Yeah an awful lot of fairly new cars with launch control are logging this so that you don't come into them looking for warranty work on your gearbox a week after driving it off the forecourts .. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Where do I find this switch.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Do they log how many times you open and close the windows to in case I have the audacity to make use of that feature and it happens to break?

In fairness, the windows are ment to be opened and closed by nature.

The gearbox is not ment to take a full power launch every time though.

Gary ITR wrote: »
    I've had it on my last 2 cars and never used it. Our race driver asked us to knock it off in the ECU because he starts without it, it's only a gimmick
    It's a gimmick to a point, but it's not possible to match the claimed 0-60 time without it in many cars, no matter who the driver is!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Can't remember whether it's a C-Max we used to own or my current Avensis but it's fitted with a light where your feet rest (foot well?) however the car does not ship with a bulb fitted so it's up to you whether you want to pop one in or not, no mention in the manual either.
    C-Max, pull the driving light dial out and you get fog lights, discovered by accident 6 months after owning the car (in fairness the wife's car so I didn't drive that often and rarely need fogs on).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just remembered, I had a Peugot X0X a while back as a rental and couldn't find how to open the book after extensive searching at the back of the car, turned out it was the "0" in the middle of the logo on the boot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Took me 5 minutes to learn not to lock my keys into the boot of my own Passat yet took my colleague 1 hour to do this in his new 2012 Passat(last week). :D:D:D:D When the car is locked and you hold down the boot key the boot pops open and when you close the boot the entire car locks itself completely. He obviously left the keys in the boot when he closed it. Never happened to me because I'm afraid of it happening when I am 350kms from the spare keys. :(
    If somebody else is near your spare set you should be able to unlock it over the phone. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

AgileMyth wrote: »
    If somebody else is near your spare set you should be able to unlock it over the phone. :cool:

Can ya fcuk!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Surely launch controlled is banned in the rules? Or is that another lovely loophole that exists in the ever changing ITCC rule book :pac:

Well stand by the grid and you'll hear cars bouncing off their pre set limiters :)

As far as I know it's not banned

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Found out recently that my car has an indicator stalk on the steering wheel. No mention of it in the BMW driver's manual. :pac:

On a serious note, had a Ford Focus a few years ago and not long after I got it a warning symbol flashed on the dashboard along with a brief chime. At first I thought it was the EML and pulled over but then realised the symbol was in the shape of a snow flack meaning the outside temperature was close to freezing. :o

bazz26 wrote: »
    Found out recently that my car has an indicator stalk on the steering wheel. No mention of it in the BMW driver's manual. :pac:

On a serious note, had a Ford Focus a few years ago and not long after I got it a warning symbol flashed on the dashboard along with a brief chime. At first I thought it was the EML and pulled over but then realised the symbol was in the shape of a snow flack meaning the outside temperature was close to freezing. :o
    My fto had that too. Got a right shock when it beeped the first time

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

colm_mcm wrote: »
    My fto had that too. Got a right shock when it beeped the first time

My Fiat has that also, you expect it on cold nights when you turn it on but not when you've been driving for a long while and the temperature drops!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

It's a common enough thing. BMW's do it at +3 degrees and blink the temperature in the display then.

/M

The Mitsubishi one sounds like an alarm clock though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Thats a load of bollicks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you have a very specific 1990s american car and an analogue mobile phone, maybe.

Advertisement