Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've been avoiding this....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

went for a run yesterday evening happy enough with it now.

5.7km -> 32:55 -> avg 5:46

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Decided to start on Mcmillan workout no 1. Went down to the beach coz my knee has been feeling a little heavy over the past few weeks and I thought the softer ground might help. It was fine for 13 km (I was so proud of that!!) on Saturday but it started really throbbing in the 3rd mile today, between that and the wind nearly taking the legs from under me I gave in.
    I was finding the first few miles alright but tough coming to the end but after a few minutes leisurely jog I was alright to go again.
    I tried to keep at 9 min mile but I found it very hard I felt a lot of the time I was going at around 8.5 and when I tried to slow this down I'd end up at 9.5 it was very frustrating! I ended up doing the 3 miles at an average of 8.6 but I don't know if i should go with this pace or try get myself at 9 min mile. Going to give my knee a few days off first.

Hey madon how's the training going?

I started my own thread so I would not be hijacking ure's anymore will be keeping an eye on this though see how rue doing

Hey madon how's the training going?

I started my own thread so I would not be hijacking ure's anymore will be keeping an eye on this though see how rue doing

Hey Super sweeney- ah you could have stayed here! Will go have a read of yours now!
    Not doing to good- I'm resting my knee- it feels very heavy and I'm afraid of doing further damage. Every time I go out in the past few weeks there seems to be a hurricane blowing so I'm just running not doing anything productive with my runs.
    The 10 km I'm wanting to do in July seems to be very very hilly so I don't know whether to aim for 55 mins or hope to get the same as I got in the last 10km (58 mins). Going to jog the route next week and see if its as mountainous as I suspect!

Went for a disastrous 5 mile yesterday.
    I'm finding it very very hard keeping to the one pace or trying to run at a pace thats not too quick or too slow. I noticed I run different when I up the pace, posture straighter, pace longer could be the reason my knee's dodgy (although it felt fine yesterday)
    The heat was killing me (and the dog) ended up walking some of the 5 mile too. Bad day!

• Advertisement

This week I've two by 4km in 21 mins each, then today 8 mile in 1.21. I just want to eat loads now! I felt fine until the last mile then I began to seize. I done the first 3 mile in 30 mins and hit 6.21 in 1.02. so I kept it pretty consistent even though I had to pull the dog out of every ditch along the road- he was in a leg cocking mood usually he's alright once i tell him to keep going. I've no energy now though- neither has the dog but he dosn't have to get uniforms ready for tomorrow!

P**d off! I went out Monday and ran 2 miles in 18 mins (my OH was into work it was that or nothing!) Wednesday the 2mile time was still on my watch so I thought i'd bring it to 6.21 miles- so would be running 4.21 miles. Aim was to do the four point 21 miles in 9 min pace but I couldn't ended up running it in 59 mins (and I had to stop near the end coz I was getting cramps) I found it very very tough- don't know how I'm going to get the time down:(

I've been running! Doing a lot of short runs but don't seem to be able to speed things up- went for a lovely 8-9k tonight enjoyed it. Running a very hilly race Sunday- do't think I'll break 55!

Tough run yesterday, I drank loads before the race. Started off with a very dry mouth though, luckily they had the first water station around 3k, just after that I felt my legs were ready to seize they went really stiff- so much so I thought I was going to have to turn around, turned a corner and met the first hill (mountain!!) I walked up it and walked off the stiffness in my legs.
    There was a nice down hill section after that and another water station before we hit the next mountainous hill- I walked part of that too. Around 8k I fell in pace with a fella who was telling me he done the Clontarf half that morning (I was struggling to finish this 10k!) We got to 9k at 54 mins which is what I wanted to finish at!
    My son ran over the line with me (the delight on his face was worth the pain of the race!) so I never looked at the clock- hopefully I got in under the hour. I'm very sore today my hips and back are killing me- haven't felt this pain in a while either, been a long time since I have had to walk parts of a 10k I didn't feel right from the start of this race but sure the next race I could have one of those days where everything goes right- makes the bad runs worth it!

59.58:( got in under the hour, not happy though.

• Advertisement

Didn't do a whole lot this week- just a slowish 4km mid week and went 9 mile on Sunday- done it in an hour and a half- I was taking it handy and averaged 10 min mile so i should be well able to speed up my 10k time. Think its all in the head I'm afraid to burn myself out think I'll have to go out for the next run and go under a 9 minute mile and if I burn out I burn out. Going t try the Mcmillan again and try stick with it this time!

Only went out yesterday had a dose on me tried to go out before the weekend and my legs felt like lead, worse thing about antibiotics you feel great but dosn't mean you are. Felt alright last night done a quick first mile went easy for the next half and a quick second mile. Felt it on my chest though so I left it at that.

On the 22nd I brought the just over 2 mile run from the previous day up to six mile and went for another 4 last night. Plan is to try get at least 6 in on Sunday leaving me with 16 miles for the week.
    I had planned to do a 10km on the 6th of August but its not timed so I don't know if I will take the time off for it or look for another race. There is a 10 mile at the end of August near me and I have it in my head that if I do that I might as well enter the half marathon. I'm going to try up my weekly milage over the next two or three weeks and see how things are going.
    I know I'm leaving it a bit late to plan on doing the half but I didn't think I'd be able to run the 9 miles I did two weeks ago and feel at the end like I could have stretched another mile out of my legs!

Have a race on Saturday hopefully I can take a few minutes off my 10k time.
    I think I need to join a club soon I keep saying I'm going to follow a plan and then I don't I'm a sheep I need to follow some one! Have a another 2 four mile runs one was interrupted by a dog attacking another dog but the second run I knocked 30 seconds off the block i run (just over 4k) so I was happy with that. Going to get a longish run in tonight.

10k in 58.20- itsa PB but I'm diappointed that I didn't knock off more. Had a lot left in me at the end so I could have went a bit faster between 5k and 8k I slowed way down- I think I'm going to run a few 6ks-8ks as part of training. Had terrible cramps too I don't like running early in the day it upsets my routine!

Easy 4/4.5km (I didn't measure or time) yesterday evening after running Saturday morn- my legs felt fine- don't know if the extra stretching did my legs good or if I really didn't put the effort I could have into Saturday - I think myself its because I didn't put enough into Saturday.

4km at 5.30 pace-
    Started doing sets of squats and situps and I felt it in my legs! Not going to get out too much this week so will only get a few 4k's in. Thinking of doing 10mile Saturday week but besides last Saturdays 10km I haven't had a long run in a couple of weeks so I'll see how this week goes.

During the week I have done 2 4km 5.30 average for both. Left it at that because I had yesterday off thinking there was a ten mile in Slane- was about to register and seen it was today:( I took Saturday off work so I've to work today!
    However I did do 10 mile on my very own (I'm just too good to be seen running with over 5000 ppl in the Phoenix park!!) in 1.42.56 I was very glad when my garmin read 10 mile but I'm not as sore as say the first time I ran a 10k etc I must see if the entry for the half has closed.
    Have a bit of a hectic week this week but might see if I can escape to Skryne on Friday evening for the 5k I don't have an official 5k time.

Another three 4ks- one was 8 min mile 8.30 min mile etc othera similar run adn the last one I didn't time was just any easy jog more to get me running early morning (I ended up walking some- I hate mornings!)
    Ran the Tara Ac 5k in Skryne tonight- by my watch in 26.29- absolutely delighted I was hoping for 27. But my knee is fecked now- could feel it really pulling at 4k, when I crossed the finish line it just stiffened up completely. Hopefully it'll be alright:(

Was on hols- ran twice totalling 10k- I had planned to do more but the heat was killing me and the beer was too tempting:p So head down now- healthy eating and quality training before the half!

• Advertisement

Haven't been updating! I've kept myself ticking over going for a run every other day nothing too exerting- from my hip to just under my knee is killing me:( I'm finding that it loosens after a couple of miles and then stiffening again after the runs. Have been stretching and icing I've done every exercise I can find on you tube that helps the IT band etc but its gone too far and will need to see a physio but I think I've kept it at bay enough to see me through Sat. I don't think I'm as prepared as i want to be given that I haven't done more than six miles in a long long time but I know I can finish it even if it means walking the last couple of miles!

So I ran the half in 2.17.51- Started half way back in the third wave and kept the distance between the 2 hour pacers until the turnoff at mile 7 on chesterfield road- up until that point I was keeping myself just under 10 minute miles and i felt fantastic. I struggled between 8-9 but kept it close to 10 min mile in the hope I'd get a second wind but it never came, by mile 10 I was ready to walk but my OH and kids had come up to the top of Chesterfield Ave which I hadn't expected. I kept going and ran the slowest 800 metres to the finish line ever!

My knee and leg felt fine I ran on the left hand side of the road and it felt fine at one stage I ended up on the right hand side and could feel a tug so I moved back over.

I wasn't as sore at the end of it as I expected to be so that makes me think I could have gone harder- It was lack of energy that hit me at mile 10 so I need to start bringing gels on a few runs and see how I get on.
    I'm proud that I finished it as I hadn't even expected to do this this year, I now have a time to beat but hopefully I'll be able to smash it next year.

I've a flu all this week- so haven't been out for a run (I did manage a bit of a walk though) but I'm lost as to what to aim for now all the races seem so far away.
    I want to improve my 10k time bring it down to as close to 50 mins as I can I would also like to build up milage at least be able to comfortably run 13 miles by spring.
    For the next few weeks I might take things easy- just enjoy a few slow runs and think about things!

Went out today for a bit of a run more so to get the dog out, he's missing his runs. Felt crap and ended up having to stop before I even hit 2km, the flu I had is on my lungs now so I'm probably better off not over doing things. Todays run I slow jogged half a km to warm up- ran 800m at 7.5km pace 500m recovery before I stopped- hoped to get at least two more fast runs in- I need to pick up the pace! But I've no race to aim for until spring so I've plenty of time.
    Going to head out again in the morn just for a slow easy run.

Slow 5k, chest still felling heavy so I'm just happy enough to be out at the minute, nothing constructive happening!

5.5 miles in 55 mins. Just easing back in after my sick break! Luckily I've nothing on the horizon so I'm happy to just tick over for however long it takes to get over this chest infection.

keep up the good work

Had half hour before OH wentout to work so plan was to run the just over two and a half mile loop around the village doing two miles of itin under 8mins- I should be well able for that- but I struggled to get the first mile under 8 and it took me the rest of the loop to recover:o
    I could say that the wind was very strong and that I hadn't been out in nearly a week and that I can still feel a catch on my chest but it dawned on me when I struggled home that I've got out of the habit of really pushing myself, I'm too quick to excuse myself from a hard run and slow down to a more enjoyable pace.

0ne mile warm up then 4* 1/4 mile fast and just under half mile slow jog to finish.
    I know I should be trying to do these over a longer distance but I'm finding it hard to keep a steady pace and find that when I try speed up I end up going too fast (I was trying to keep it at 7.30 min mile and at one stage I was running at 6.30)
    I will later in the week (or maybe tomorrow) try two half miles at 7.30. Maybe i just need to get it wrong for a while before I get familiar with the feel of different paces (if that makes sense!)
    On a good note its the first run since the end of August that I haven't felt a heaviness in my knee.

5 mile in 50 mins- ran the first two miles in 8.30, then very slow 3 miles! Overall it was probably a little slower than I'd normally go 5 mile but I'm happy I got the first two miles at a steady 8.30.

• Advertisement

3 and a half mile in 40 mins- was running wth someone so was only a slow jog but its nice to have company sometimes (besides the dog).

Advertisement