Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loftus hall

• 04-01-2006 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭strangepaddy

A few days before halloween a few of travelled down to loftus hall near hook head in wexford(for pl who never heard of it the devil was supposed ta have visite there....long story short....he made a big hole in the roof appartently which cant be fixed.)....we didnt go up to it cause its a private place and all plus there was a light on. Anyways the whole point of this post is i just like to know your views on the place? Believe in it? Ever there? cause the place is so weird lookin i cant help but take interest in it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Loftus Hall has a lot of stories about it and part of it was made into a film.
    Hard to say how much of it is credible you would ahve to try research the house.
    The current building that can be seen from the locked gate is not the orginal hall, the ruins of it can be just about seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭strangepaddy

ya ur right the old hall has long been gone! ive read a fair bit about it.
    The new buildin is really nice ....it should be done up or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Ya, that place is really cool. I stayed in New Ross for a couple of days before and saw Loftus Hall and just thought it was class. I think there's a plaque on the wall near the front gate that says something about the devil there or spirits.... something in that area anyway. I asked a lad from New Ross about it and he said that the devil is meant to have appeared there during a game of cards and that it was once a nightclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭strangepaddy

"here lies the body of Thomas Broaders,
    Who did good and prayed for all.
    And banished the Devil from Loftus Hall."

Anyone know where exactly this grave is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Loftus hall has sent shivers down my spine since I first went there, even posting it now...ugh. What a horrible place. I was terrified of going to Hook Head when I was younger because of how near we got to it, or even seeing the roof of it from Dunmore was horrible.

Just one of those places I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭tonym

Anyone know where exactly this grave is?

cannon broaders is buried in horetown grave yard

and thats on his headstone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭tonym

http://www.creativecopy.com.au/loftus.html

here is some close up pics i found on the net really cool i want to spend the night here guys

the owners name is micheal deveraux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭arac

the story sounds a little like that general urban myth.. A similar story cirlcled around the place Im from in Co. Cork..about a dance hall, you know the type of one where the show bands used to play:) ..supposedly an extremely handsome young man asked a girl to dance there, one night back in the sixties..dancing away the two of them were, when she happened to look down at his feet, yup..two hooves..she screamed and he disappeared..
    but loftus hall looks extremely spooky have to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Michael Devereux has long passed away - rip!! He had opened it up as as Hotel and his wife lived there as a recluse since he died.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 noel6071

I wonder why the lights are left on some nights when their wouldnt be any electricity in the place??? I am very interested in Loftus Hall and would love to get nearer to the place to have a proper look, their is some great pictures on a website that really show it up close, its a sure is a spooky place, i drove up near it one night and the fog was so bad i had to turn back, great place to make a horror film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭upthere

A few days before halloween a few of travelled down to loftus hall near hook head in wexford(for pl who never heard of it the devil was supposed ta have visite there....long story short....he made a big hole in the roof appartently which cant be fixed.)....we didnt go up to it cause its a private place and all plus there was a light on. Anyways the whole point of this post is i just like to know your views on the place? Believe in it? Ever there? cause the place is so weird lookin i cant help but take interest in it!
    It is a good place to visit alrite and my opinion on it is that that whole area is haunted and loftus hall is no exception. I went to the gates of the place on night and could smell sulfur. It was eerie. Could have been anything but there was noone around.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭dib

I'd definitely like to visit the area. The photos are great and it looks like a beautiful building. I must see who the current owner is.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

it's a fascinating place alright but has anyone here ever actually experienced or seen anything out of the ordinary there? I'd love to go there aswell

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Someone does live there from time to time, in a mobile out the back of it I believe, so there would be power to it. Its a horrible looking building, which adds to its creepy vibe.

I wonder if there are any basement areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Hey, anybody got the dvd?

Care to share??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

my friend went out there, on the rare time the gates were open and managed to take some photos up close of it , at the back of the hall on the 3rd floor their was an outline of a preist or what looked like a preist looking out at them.

I went there about a week ago with a digital camera but it didnt have a great zoom, got some nice pics but what id really love is a nice high powered camera to nice some really nice clear snaps of it.

Anyone know if its possible to contact the current owner ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Impossible to contact him, plenty have tried and tbh I could never be arsed to try.

Anyway, can you post the pics you did take and those your friend took?

I would LOVE to go out there and have a look. It's a magnificent building and I'd really love to have a look inside and around the grounds. I may make a trip down to that area for a night or two over the Summer and see if I can get some good snaps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

dib wrote:
    I would LOVE to go out there and have a look. It's a magnificent building and I'd really love to have a look inside and around the grounds. I may make a trip down to that area for a night or two over the Summer and see if I can get some good snaps.

Its been a few years since I was down in that area but it is pretty well locked up and I dont think they take to kindly to treaspassing. But there are some amazing spots down there for photos etc.

kshiel wrote:
    Its been a few years since I was down in that area but it is pretty well locked up and I dont think they take to kindly to treaspassing. But there are some amazing spots down there for photos etc.

Yeah the area itself looks fantastic. I'm definitely going to head down that way during the Summer. Any recommendations kshiel?

Hooks Head is the natural one to say but we just got in the car and drove around and stopped where ever took our fancy, we did stay in a little fishing village a fare few mile from Loftus hall called Kilmore key, beautiful little place. I think you can reach loftus through a farm but again it could be trouble if you were caught. Try asking premission for access through the farmers land first, you never know he/she might oblige.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 nudge

Was down in Kilmore Quay myself at the weekend. My dads from there. Great spot for a few pints. Where did you stay? Loftus hall has freaked out the people of Wexford for a long time. Gives me the heebie jeebies, especially given the location. It looks so lonely.

Cant remember the name of the B&B but it is a great spot. Loftus hall looks generally creepy but to me anyway I would say the reputation far outweighs the actual place, although I could be wrong as never been in it. I like the little epitaph on thomas Broaders Grave though.

"Canon Broaders died in January, 1773, and on his tomb in Horetown Cemetery is the following epitaph;

http://www.wexfordweb.com/Loftus_Hall/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭maggz

I can see it from my house on the coast of waterford, i'm amazed by it. Totally freeks me out - so lonely and so out on its own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Man if you think it looks cool form the outside you should see it inside. its absolutley fckn amazin, marble fireplaces in every room, even the bathrooms, coupled with a ducted heating system, the central grand italian marble staircase is breathtaking, the sculptures and paintings collected oer centuries, and it used to be a guesthouse for a while so it has a huge bar and resturaunt area, Actulay about ten to fifteen years ago one of the Bikerclubs in the area had their anual bash there, twas feckin brilliant, then theres the card room where the Quarefella himself is supposed to have shot through the ceiling after being caught out by some priestybloke, there's a stain in exactly the same spot on the ceiling in the room above and one appears in the floor under it, actualy if your lookin at the building from the front you may be able to see the section of tiles that 'they keep havin to replace' its about 5M in from the lefthandside and up about 2M (guestimate but its around there)

the gardens had gotten into a fair state of disrepair the last time I was there but care was still being take for the interior, God knows what its like now tho!

there are quite a few ghoststories about the place, when I get home tonight I'll have a spliff focus the aul head and try to get some of them down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Oh yeah the place dosent have a basemant as such, but there is a network of tunnels running under it, they run out to the deerhunting wall and down to the bottom of the gardens where the old heatin system was ( probably a service tunnel for this and a lazy way of crossin the fields to hunt deer in the rain)

I'm not sure about the rest of the tunels I've only been down the one from the garden to inside, but I know where the other one comes out at the deerwall.

course from what I remember the house may have been scary but the stories of what happened in the mews still make my hair stand on end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I've been fascinated with the place ever since I was a child, and holidayed down in Dunmore East. When I was 17 or so (and had access to a car) I started visiting Hook Head, which I still do a few times a year, and I always stop to just look at Loftus Hall. A friend in work visited the house when it was a hotel and the lady who lived there gave him and his fiancee tea and coffee and scones and didnt charge them - she just wanted the company.

Nowadays the place looks derelict. I've seen a jeep up outside the house before though, and I've seen lights on so I assume someone is still sorta half minding it.

Advertisement