Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bluetooth OBDII and Smartphone - brilliant

• 24-07-2013 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭

Wife's car was shuddering and had the check engine light on.

Figured that it was a failed ignition coil, as symptoms were the same as for a similar problem last month (which an Indy charged €120 to diagnose and replace).

Anyway, I downloaded a free OBD App for Android and picked up a Bluetooth ELM327 OBD dongle today (€20 from a bloke on Adverts.ie)

Problem diagnosed in 20 seconds from my phone!

Fault: Ignition Coil #2 misfire.

Spot on - replaced the coil (€31 from Micksgarage) - problem was solved.

Used the same app to clear the fault code and turn off the light.

Very impressed, and works on nearly every car with OBDII.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nice one!

Or be a little bit more old fashioned like myself and use a handheld wired OBDII reader (about €25 on eBay) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Thats what I started looking for until a friend at work told me about the Bluetooth version.

An added feature is that even the most basic apps come up with the full description, not just the fault code number.

The more advanced apps (still free) allow you to see everything from oil temp, coolant temp, to throttle position, air flow and on and on and on.

Also lets you know if your O2 sensor is working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

What apps are you using
    I have torque pro it cost couple of euros but I find it good there is a free version too.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

interested to know app to plus also link to the obd dongle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004KL0I9I/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Works alright, doesn't have great range on the bluetooth though. I've tried it with Torque Pro (works fine, although some dials update slowly) - but trying to use it with ScanXL Professional on a laptop via bluetooth... doesn't work so well. Not sure how much of that is the laptop bluetooth software not being great, ScanXL being buggy, or the elm327 interface.

• Advertisement

interested to know app to plus also link to the obd dongle

There is an overwhelming choice of dongles out there. I did a goggle search for elm327 Bluetooth in Ireland. First result was an ad on Adverts.is

I was able to meet the seller same day.

I have 2 free apps installed: Torque and Carista.

The Carista app is dead simple with just 2 buttons: DETECT FAULTS and RESET FAULTS.
    I used this to diagnose and then clear the fault code.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,577 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Pkiernan wrote: »
    There is an overwhelming choice of dongles out there. I did a goggle search for elm327 Bluetooth in Ireland. First result was an ad on Adverts.is

I was able to meet the seller same day.

I have 2 free apps installed: Torque and Carista.

The Carista app is dead simple with just 2 buttons: DETECT FAULTS and RESET FAULTS.
    I used this to diagnose and then clear the fault code.

Which one did you go for? There's several different types and the seller you mention (if this is the same guy) has 2 of them in the top results...

This one and this one. He (again based on the username) also seems to have another one on ebay

Not sure what the difference is?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,171 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The ELM 327 is a great bit of kit for the price of it. The Memoscan U480 also works well - I use one myself - and the price and simplicity is hard to beat:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U480-Universal-OBD2-CAN-BUS-Fault-Code-Reader-Scanner-diagnostic-scan-tool-U-480-/320907644060?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4ab7960c9c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

So what is the best app for iPhone for doing this?

I have a reader for a long time, but never used it

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Which one did you go for? There's several different types and the seller you mention (if this is the same guy) has 2 of them in the top results...

This one and this one. He (again based on the username) also seems to have another one on ebay

Not sure what the difference is?

It was neither of those, as it was a different seller. He said it was his last one.

http://www.adverts.ie/car-parts-accessories/v1-5-elm327-obdii-obd2-bluetooth-auto-car-diagnostic-interface-scanner/2733586?notification=52812fc199d6fac5b8664f5a4f70f1d3-1374698130&utm_campaign=AdWatchCommented&utm_medium=link&utm_source=email

To be honest, the technology involved is so matured at this stage, that I can't see you going wrong with any of them.

• Advertisement

Tallon wrote: »

I dont have an iPhone, so sorry.

I'd just do an itunes search for OBD2 and see what it comes up with.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I dont have an iPhone, so sorry.

I'd just do an itunes search for OBD2 and see what it comes up with.
    There's hundreds, I'm wondering what the best one is.. Or even the most reliable

There's hundreds, I'm wondering what the best one is.. Or even the most reliable

Toruqe Pro seems very capable, and only costs a few Euro.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Deadly, will give it a whack. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭cletus

iOS does not support the elm327 protocol, unless the device is jailbroken

*edit* other option would be to buy a cheap android device, can be got for small enough money, and should be fine if your only running torque on it

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭kevmcdonnell

Ah i bought one of these only to discover it wont work on my focus. Oh well off to the mechanic with me to get it scanned.

Ah i bought one of these only to discover it wont work on my focus. Oh well off to the mechanic with me to get it scanned.

Year? Petrol or diesel?

What year is the focus? Check it with another car, could be just the unit itself, I've had mine work on a '99 Fiesta

Petrol 1.6L 2001. Something to do with the protocol it runs i think. Will try it on another car just in case

Petrol 1.6L 2001. Something to do with the protocol it runs.

Mmm. EOBD only became mandatory this side of the world for 2001 petrol vehicles and 2004 diesels, and on, so you could be just SOL with that car.

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    iOS does not support the elm327 protocol, unless the device is jailbroken

*edit* other option would be to buy a cheap android device, can be got for small enough money, and should be fine if your only running torque on it
    Ahhhh, no wonder I cannot get it to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

+1

Yep, it's less than the price of a pint (€3.95), and well worth giving the Torque Pro author a few quid for an extremely handy app.

Mmm. EOBD only became mandatory this side of the world for 2001 petrol vehicles and 2004 diesels, and on, so you could be just SOL with that car.

might just be on the turn alright. pain in the hole, think it is only something small wrong with the car as it is running fine. engine light just popped up the other day. Probably just a sensor acting up somewehere

might just be on the turn alright. pain in the hole, think it is only something small wrong with the car as it is running fine. engine light just popped up the other day. Probably just a sensor acting up somewehere

I would try your elm327 device with another car before you write it off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

There was a review or two on amazon saying that it didn't work with the Ford protocols, despite being advertised as being able to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

I have just got dashcommand for the iPhone and its very good. It'll display pretty much anything that is stored/read by the ecu. Also does error code resets, data logging and performance stats.

It has a couple of drawbacks though, it's 45quid and you'll need an ELM327 OBDII WiFi Scanner, not the Bluetooth type.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I've used mine on a '00 Golf Diesel and '02 Petrol Focus. No issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Use mine with Torque Pro on a 98 Avensis, 99 Yaris, 07 Audi A4 and 02 E46 BMW with no issues. Great piece of kit.

Last bit I can't figure out is to get the real time info to display on the Android Dynavin unit in the BMW, has anyone got this working?

pa990 wrote: »
    There was a review or two on amazon saying that it didn't work with the Ford protocols, despite being advertised as being able to do so.

Because of the Yank influence many pre-2001 Fords and Ford-influenced cars support OBD-II. I find the older ones tend to use pulse-width modulation, which has been knocking around Detroit since the early '80s, and the newer ones I've encountered use Bosch's CAN protocol. Any of these cheap-and-cheerful codescanners should detect and "speak" these no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,472 ✭✭✭maidhc

Another vote for Torque Pro here. Used it to detect a dodgy o2 sensor and reset the check engine light on the Merc.

Advertisement