Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken nuggets --> breakfast of champions (Usain Bolt)

• 19-08-2009 11:53am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

From here

Usain Bolt’s Diet and Nutrition

Bolt maintains his 6ft 4in, 13st 8lb pound frame in peak condition with a simple diet. Also, he is one of the few professional athletes who does not take supplements. He admits to taking vitamin C, but nothing else.

Instead, Bolt opts for a high-energy diet to maintain his engine, ensuring that each of his six daily meals contain 60% protein, 30% carbs and 10% fats. Sprinters should consume one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight to build and maintain muscle.

So at approx. 14-stone, Bolt needs to consume 196 grams of muscle-building protein every day. He alleges to achieve this by eating a lot of chicken fillets.

On the day that he beat the world 100m record, he described his preparation as:
    Usain Bolt wrote:
    I woke around 11am and decided to watch some TV and had some nuggets

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I’m always sceptical when I hear stuff like that…

Like he mighta had them that one day, but what was the rest of his year like?

And what about the other stuff he had the morning of the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

I heard that he has a really ****ed up diet in general though. I remember reading somewhere that an Irish guy lived with him a few years ago in London or something and he ate crap all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

He said on Top Gear (regarding the last record in the olympics) that he was worried about the food in the canteen so stuck with what he knew wouldn't make him sick. (As per Oisinjm he said it in a way that suggested he wasn't big into his veggies etc You know, the kind of excuse an adult gives when in a restarant having a meal and he orders off the childrens menu so maybe his diet is a bit mad)

Personally I'm waiting for the doping scandal :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Hi All

Also if you want a laugh, go onto Youtube and search for Michael Phelps 12,000 calorie diet diet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXRvXtcSu14

Can't for the life of me understand how anybody can eat such rubbish and have the physique he has.

So jealous :rolleyes:

Best Regards,

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

BossArky wrote: »
    From here

Usain Bolt’s Diet and Nutrition

Bolt maintains his 6ft 4in, 13st 8lb pound frame in peak condition with a simple diet. Also, he is one of the few professional athletes who does not take supplements. He admits to taking vitamin C, but nothing else.

Instead, Bolt opts for a high-energy diet to maintain his engine, ensuring that each of his six daily meals contain 60% protein, 30% carbs and 10% fats. Sprinters should consume one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight to build and maintain muscle.

So at approx. 14-stone, Bolt needs to consume 196 grams of muscle-building protein every day. He alleges to achieve this by eating a lot of chicken fillets.

On the day that he beat the world 100m record, he described his preparation as:

I am not too surprised by this .. diet CAN def make a big difference to performance but not always, I know a few people who have run sub 3 hr marathons and they wouldnt touch fruit or veg and could live on toast and corn flakes .. for osme people food is just fuel, they dont need to overthink macros and they can still get good results :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭billyhead

corkcomp wrote: »
    I am not too surprised by this .. diet CAN def make a big difference to performance but not always, I know a few people who have run sub 3 hr marathons and they wouldnt touch fruit or veg and could live on toast and corn flakes .. for osme people food is just fuel, they dont need to overthink macros and they can still get good results :confused:

I would not be suprised that this is part of his diet. As Corkcomp mentioned I have ran a couple of sub 3 hour marathons the past and having moved out of the parents house and being a crap cook I lived on a diet of crap food back then i.e Takeaway pizzas, and processed Microwave meals. I was a skinny fecker mind you (with the training the calories just burned off) but I ate very little fruit and veg. I think the training is more important then the nutrition in some sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Don't forget tho-The guy is a genetic marvel! Sure he eats Nuggets now and then, however if most of us mere mortals ate them before a race/training we'd get sleepy/tired!
    Alot of top atheletes don't like to let on how hard they train/eat well, just to wind up their opponents too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Most US and Jamaican sprinters have dreadfull diets. Fast food and jelly beans for the majority. Wariner in the 400 is as bad and would have McD every day but now cuts down to 3 or 4 days a week. Their diets are crap as when they come to Europe they by and large won't like the European food and will want something they knew which is usually McDonalds.

But they are genetic freaks. Us mere mortals could not survive and be at our peak. if there is a McDonalds in the Olympic village it will be packed usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭billyhead

Sure look at Michael Phelps. His diet consisted of fry ups and all sorts of crap just to get the calories in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

When I saw the thread title I thought back to the phelps diet and all the stir that caused.Its interesting but does it really matter what the elite eat?It has little to no bearing to where they are now or how successfull they are .What I think is more interesting is the work ethic these guys have to get to the top.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

eating food you like is a good thing, keeps u happy and feeling human. when food becomes fuel u become a machine. bolt prob likes to run, not because he is programmed to do so but because it is fun.

he prob gets his minerals from breakfast cereals. he'd need alot of extra magnesium. or maybe he is just superhuman and could live on hotdogs and beer and still beat world records

• Registered Users Posts: 38,920 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think these guys are exceptions, burning epic amounts of calories in train, they need this crap just to get the maintenance calories in, same with phelps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Mellor wrote: »
    I think these guys are exceptions, burning epic amounts of calories in train, they need this crap just to get the maintenance calories in, same with phelps

They're not really exceptions then are they? You've already given the reason why they can eat like they do; because of their training.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mellor wrote: »
    burning epic amounts of calories in train, they need this crap
    They need the calories, it doesn't have to be crap. They are good in spite of their diet, not because of it. If they were eating better they might perform even better. I doubt they are on junk 24/7 anyway, it just sells papers, gets them in the press too so more sponsorship money, Bolt is a great showman at the end of races.
    eating food you like is a good thing, keeps u happy and feeling human.
    Thats a good point too, eat what he likes and he might be under less stress etc. You will hear people here saying not to go on "diets", i.e. do not force feed yourself food you hate for a matter of months, find food you like that you will stick to FOR LIFE. I was watching a hammer thrower who already was in first place the other day, he did his last throw and did really well, he was smiling going up to it, the commentators were saying you perform at your best when relaxed and stress free like that.

Maybe those battery chickens in the nuggets are pumped full of growth hormones!

Some BBer was meant to say "calories are calories", Mike Metzner or somebody, and I read "he would eat a danish in front of competitors", it is a way of psyching out people too. He could well have been on supps 24/7 usually and only eating this as a windup

rubadub wrote: »
    I doubt they are on junk 24/7 anyway,

Thing is, a lot of them are. Thats what I am saying, these sprinters in particular have crap diets. Its not a gimmick. For every Bolt or Wariner there are another 100 athletes on the circuit eating similarly sh*t. I have witnessed at first hand when at meets or in hotels etc. They eat like sh*t and usually because its the easiest thing to do and the food is consistent.

Most of the Irish elites will have good diets as they have to as their margin for error is tighter and probably won't get away with it but for the top, top guys diet is not an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Id not believe a bit of this...
    Its all part of the bravado of being a 'natural' talent.

The might well eat all that, but id not take it at face value...

slemons wrote: »
    Id not believe a bit of this...
    Its all part of the bravado of being a 'natural' talent.

The might well eat all that, but id not take it at face value...

So are you saying that these sprinters are seen eating this sh*t so that they can look hard and they then head back to their rooms and eat the healthy stuff:D? It may be hard for the diet nazis to take this but many elite athletes have crap diets. Its not an act, its fact. Many even smoke like throwers and jumpers (I saw 3 Olympic medalists from the same event sharing a cigarette at the bar last summer) and some throwers will regularly drink before big competitions. Its true and as I have said I have seen and witnessed at first hand. Thats what I am basing my opinion on as opposed to a hunch. It will usually happen when they are on the circuit and going from competition to competition. Not so sure about the winter months when they are training at home but for the summer competition months this happens. Not all athletes, but a lot of them will have crap diets. The athletic circuit is very unglamourous for most with sh*tty hotels with sh*tty food.

• You're jumping to conclusion and you all need to go back to basics:

Calorie Deficit - he burns more calories than he eats - he's a top athlete, he exercises hard for a living, he burns thousands of calories a week, he's still only 22 (turning 23 in a few days).

That's why he can eat this much food. Rest assured everyone, if he was eating more than he burned i.e. calorie surplus, the great Usain Bolt would suffer from what I'm suffering (thanks to this round the world trip and not being in a gym for 8 months) and it's called weight gain !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trust me, he wouldn't be doing cocky little dances in front of the camera pre-race if he was a "chubby" haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Tingle - did you read what was posted or just twist it straight away? ;)

slemons wrote: »
    Tingle - did you read what was posted or just twist it straight away? ;)

Not sure what I'm twisting, I don't understand what you mean. Are you not saying you don't believe all this stuff of these guys saying they eat crap and they are only saying it for bravado purposes to prove how talented they are? Thats what I took from your post, did I pick it up wrong?

• Advertisement
Advertisement