Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog has gotten a bad lump on jaw overnight; ideas of what it is?

• 07-08-2011 6:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Hello, my dog is a patterdale and terrier cross I think, not 100% sure. Hes about 10 years old. Very healthy and playful dog. But this morning I noticed a bad lump on his left jaw/neck area. Its not on his right side, just his left. I hope its nothing serious as hes a great companion :(

Any ideas as to what it is? Have you ever seen anything like it before? Hes not really eating today, and when I try to lift up his lips to see his teeth and gums, he pulls away so I dont want to force it. I will probably bring him to the vet in the morning, but Im wondering is it an emergency that I should bring him tonight to a local vet. Could it be a bruise from getting hit by someone or is it something more serious?? Any help welcome thanks!

Here is a picture of what its like on the lump side of his face, as you can see his lower jaw is bulging out a fair bit.

79287632.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

The picture is missing, but could it possibly be an abscess due to an infected tooth? My dog had one when I first got him (and I was half convinced it was cancer!) as he'd been bitten in the face before being rescued. It was just below his eye and was pretty big. IN my experience of cats, big swollen bits overnight are usually due to abscesses!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

Blueprint wrote: »
    The picture is missing, but could it possibly be an abscess due to an infected tooth? My dog had one when I first got him (and I was half convinced it was cancer!) as he'd been bitten in the face before being rescued. It was just below his eye and was pretty big. IN my experience of cats, big swollen bits overnight are usually due to abscesses!
    Oh sorry, here is the picture: 79287632.jpg

Is abscesses serious, or will it be ok to bring him to the vet tomorrow? Im guessing all he will need if it is that, is some antibiotics, or will the tooth need to be removed? I have read that it could be cancer also, but I really hope it isn't that serious. The swelling is very big, but he is moving about ok, just not eating anything. And yeah, its slightly below his eye also.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It's unlikely to be cancer if it just appeared overnight, so you may stop panicking!
    As already stated, a tooth abcess, an infected bite from a dog, cat or rat (was he out doing what patterdales do yesterday?), or it could be a bee, wasp or ant sting.
    Have you any metacam you could give him for the pain? Will need the vet if no improvement by tomorrow.
    Let us know how you go!

Will do, cheers. Yeah he went digging in the field yesterday, and does play and sometimes fight with neighbouring dogs so I can see what might have happened. He doesn't seem to be in too much pain, hes in the utility room, just lying down asleep, so will bring him into the vet in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

same thing happened my dog, its an abscess thats burst, take him to the vet asap, the fluid will need to be drained, must be very uncomfortable for him!

• Advertisement

same thing happened my dog, its an abscess thats burst, take him to the vet asap, the fluid will need to be drained, must be very uncomfortable for him!

I think I will have to go in in the morning as I dont know of any vets that would be available nearby right now. Is that ok? Or would you advise trying to get a vet now?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

well, we waited till the morning with our dog and she was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭eurokev

Bee Sting?

My Dog got stung by a bee a few weeks ago and looked somethimg like this

eurokev wrote: »
    Bee Sting?

My Dog got stung by a bee a few weeks ago and looked somethimg like this
    It could very well be that. But I think he bit a hedgehog a few days ago and started bleeding badly from his mouth so id be thinking if its anything, its a mouth or tooth infection. Ill see in the morning if its gotten worse or if the swelling has lowered.

Advertisement