Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spooks

• 06-09-2005 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭

Am I the only person who's glad Spooks is back on BBC1 next Monday at 9??

Anyone I have spoken to has kind of sniggered...
    I know it is going to be hard to get into because all of the main characters have left, but I still think it was good drama!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Spooks is cool, it got slightly up its arse towards the end of the "Tom" era with to much "artsy" filmed melodrama. I can take only so much adagio string and camera movement. The arrival of Adam Carter and his missus has livened things up as they are thrill seekers first public servants second.

The new series starts with a precient story about London and 4 terrorist bombs.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

have you tried the spy games on the spooks website?! super fun! i can't wait for monday, soooo excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Must try those spy games.. interesting !

Anyone see it last night?

Pretty good I thought, if a bit close to the bone with the London bomb thingy.
    The second part is on tonight at 9. Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Yeah, good show, great to have it back, although I missed the last ep from the last series and didn't know that Danny had been killed. Bit of a shock, tbh.

Last night's ep seemed very 24-ish just with everything speeded up and unnecessary fillers removed. The mole is a bit of a let down, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Anyone see it last night?

Pretty good I thought, if a bit close to the bone with the London bomb thingy.
    The second part is on tonight at 9. Looking forward to it!
    Did the professor bloke (or was it Ruth) get it a bit wrong there when going on about 'people who should survive' and somebody mentioned

"Andrew Lloyd Webber" and the other character says "I don't know, I quite enjoyed Les Mis"...

O'course as any fule kno, the oxygen thieving peer of the realm didn't write Les Mis...so was this a howler in the script, or do i just need to pay more attention.

See, ordinarily I'd have 'rewound' on the aul SKY+, but as the thing is tempermental as hell these days, i'm afraid i had to let it go!

topping episode overall though...just didn't let up at all. Harry is, officially, one of the coolest chaps on the telly. And wasn't that George from Drop The Dead Donkey as the Home Secretary?

Did the professor bloke (or was it Ruth) get it a bit wrong there when going on about 'people who should survive' and somebody mentioned

"Andrew Lloyd Webber" and the other character says "I don't know, I quite enjoyed Les Mis"...

O'course as any fule kno, the oxygen thieving peer of the realm didn't write Les Mis...so was this a howler in the script, or do i just need to pay more attention.

See, ordinarily I'd have 'rewound' on the aul SKY+, but as the thing is tempermental as hell these days, i'm afraid i had to let it go!

topping episode overall though...just didn't let up at all. Harry is, officially, one of the coolest chaps on the telly. And wasn't that George from Drop The Dead Donkey as the Home Secretary?

Yeah a bit of a howler mistake alright! Still, very enjoyable episode

• Registered Users Posts: 64,547 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Love spooks, probably the only program out there that I'd make sure I record if I'd miss it

That home secretary is a class dude :D
    mike65 wrote:
    Spooks is cool, it got slightly up its arse towards the end of the "Tom" era

Exactly, it was getting a bit soft. I liked the interweaving of 6 and all its intrigues in the last series (or was it the first series) though

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Good episode last night. I love Martine McCutcheon!

Is there some kind of running joke to do with the Gherkin? Every single shot of the London skyline they show has it. I know it's fairly prominent, but it seems that they go out of their way to include it in every shot, no matter where they are. For example, in the episode last night, it had already been shown several times, and then at the end at the waitress' apartment, you can see it in the distance...

I also watched the season 2 episode about the Russian mafia moneylaundering last night on DVD, and it was pretty unnerving. Most of the episode was shot in or around the Bank of England, which is a 30 second walk from where I work. Pretty distracting actually. I think they may have even shot the nightclub scene in the local meat-market 'Abacus', though it was a narrow shot so it was hard to tell. When they showed Danny's tracker on the roadmap, it was a strange feeling! I guess the recent bombings at Liverpool St and others show that the area is a target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Any news of a repeat on BBC3 or anything? I watched episode 1 not realising part 2 was on last night and I wasn't in reach of a TV :(

• Advertisement

Episode 3 is on BBC3 tonight for those (like me) who can't wait until next Monday!

One complaint I have is the use of that great big phased Bang!!!!!!!! sound complete with cunning reverse reverb. It makes me jump! :D
    Is there some kind of running joke to do with the Gherkin?

Indeed, it must have featured in a dozen shots. Once upon a time it was Big Ben or Bust!

Mike.

I watched the season 2 finale on DVD last night, i've never been so depressed after watching a TV program before. I felt physically ill after it :(

Lesson learnt last night to check tv listings before I get comfy...

Was all settled with a cuppa and some choccie biccies to watch Spooks, only to see Waking the Dead! I started to panic, switched to BBC2, BBC3, nope.
    Really panicking now, check digital tv listings for today, nope. Tomorrow, oh I forgot, crappy NTL digital never has forward listings.
    Check on BBC teletext, nope not listed for tomorrow. Leg it upstairs, boot up pc and go to spooks website - not on until Thursday! phew. Console myself by playing the games on the spooks site instead.

What's the story though, it always used to be on a Monday, and why have the premiere on a Monday if it's not going to be on that night for the rest of the series?

I was'nt confused but its suprising they moved Spooks to Thursday, previously Spooks and Waking can't have been on at the same time as Waking is always a two parter shown on consecutive nights (Sun and Mon) or was it on Sat and Sun before?

Mike.

I enjoyed the episode tonight, the ending was a bit obvious though. I like the look of the new girl, literally!

Looks like she's taking Fiona's place(?) so hopefully she'll fare a little better than Helen did in season 1. 5 episodes into the season now, it's time they started to build some real momentum.

Spotted the Gherkin at least 4 times last night...

Anyone else noticed how political Spooks is getting this series, the writers are clearly having some fun attacking the "new world order". Last nights episode clearly had echoes of David Kelly (just in case you've forgotten).

The new member is HOT! So was Helen in series one...in good and bads ways!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

The one on Network two last night was pretty good. Was a training exercise that they all thought was an exercise, and then got real but just turned out to be an exercise in the end - was really tense though! Is Tom still there in season 3 or what happened to him?

Yep, as expected, Fiona departs. I don't think it had anywhere near the impact that the previous trio had when departing, but she didn't get that much screen time I guess.

Didn't spot the gherkin tonight, but I did see one scene was shot in Browns - fancy restaurant/bar nextdoor to where I work. So THAT'S what they were filming a few months ago! Dagnabit, if only i'd known then :)

• Advertisement

Was surprised to see Fiona get the chop. :(

There's no job security on that programme!

Mike.

Well Mike, Spooks has always had their lead team as a trio (lead male, token ethnic/racial minority character, token female) so when they doubled up on the number of lead girls, it was always going to happen... ;)

True! No dount Adam will be getting to know the new bird after he gets over his angst.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

mike65 wrote:
    Anyone else noticed how political Spooks is getting this series, the writers are clearly having some fun attacking the "new world order". Last nights episode clearly had echoes of David Kelly

I like the fact the writers play around a bit too...and the new girl is lovely it was pretty gripping last night as well...I wasnt surprised Fiona ended up dead...

They seem to like killing off characters Tom, Danny, now Fiona - where did Toms American blonde totty go, by the way, as I didnt see any of the third series?

jrey1981 wrote:
    They seem to like killing off characters Tom, Danny, now Fiona - where did Toms American blonde totty go, by the way, as I didnt see any of the third series?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/spooks/personnel_cd.shtml

Mike.

Thought the story in last nights episode was very cleverly written - quite topical in a way as well as regards the NHS...

Did anyone else see it?

Yep. I thought it was quite topical considering a certain Russian Oligarch's involvement in Chelsea! They're a bunch of dirty bastards.

Good episode, but I thought they could have pulled harder on the emotional strings at the end. The new girl, Jo - I think i'm in love!

kaids wrote:
    Yep. I thought it was quite topical considering a certain Russian Oligarch's involvement in Chelsea!.....

Good episode....The new girl, Jo - I think i'm in love!

Yes the Chelsea analogy struck me too...

and the camera does seem to like lingering on that beguiling blonde...

Another great episode...the writers are being quite daring in the topical storylines.

And still time for emotion too as it looks as if Harry might score with the brunette meaning he might end up with another companion besides his rough-coated Jack Russell!

Looking forward to next weeks take on the death of Diana

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Echoed. Very close to the bone. It's like the BBC saying 'post Lord Hutton, our news department will have no more idle speculation as to what kind of dirty tricks the government might be up to'. Our Drama department, on the other hand...

(yes - i know it's kudos and they're an outside organisation...)

Advertisement