Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brit Floyd V Australian Pink Floyd

• 06-12-2011 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

With both tribute acts playing Dublin in 2012, just wondering which is the superior act?

Ive seen the APF in the O2 a couple of years ago and they were fantastic, Im gonna go to their Olympia show next year too.

Am I right in saying 1 or 2 members of the APF broke away to form BritFloyd? They got great reviews for their Grand Canal Theatre show.

Might end up going to see both.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭CiaranK

poundhound wrote: »
    With both tribute acts playing Dublin in 2012, just wondering which is the superior act?

Ive seen the APF in the O2 a couple of years ago and they were fantastic, Im gonna go to their Olympia show next year too.

Am I right in saying 1 or 2 members of the APF broke away to form BritFloyd? They got great reviews for their Grand Canal Theatre show.

I haven't seen either of them myself. They are both meant to be good. But the Aussies are meant to be the best you'd ever see.

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Aussie Pink Floyd without a doubt, seen them a few times and they're the best you'll get to the real thing ,endorsed by Gilmour if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sagem

have the apf released a date yet foe 2012 i will def go,check out our tribute band from dublin GREENFLOYD
    http://youtu.be/mM5qeRuiNn0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Gridlock wrote: »
    Aussie Pink Floyd without a doubt, seen them a few times and they're the best you'll get to the real thing ,endorsed by Gilmour if I remember correctly.
    They played his 60th.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Actually I prefer the real Pink Floyd myself

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

There are a fair few rumours on the net that a reunion is on the cards. Apart from live8 and the last waters gig in the London O2, all 3 remaining did a joint interview recently on their latest compilation. Or is it just wishful thinking, if it isn't it would be a gig to sell your granny for. As for the tributes APF has the bigger pedigree, but saying that I haven't seen britfloyd so I shouldn't really comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

They did indeed,you wont be disapointed in seeing BPF imo since Damian Darlington left the APF for them they are the much better sounding band note for note,now thats just my opinion. Seen them in The Grand Canal and they were **** hot although the venue didnt suit them tbh as they seemed pretty cramped on the stage. Their playing the o2 next may so thats a must for me.

But do go see both if you can,you wont be disapointed in either.

Worth a look > http://www.britfloyd.com/videos/11-concert-footage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RayCon

€35 + booking fee to see a tribute act ...*shakes head*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

RayCon wrote: »
    Yep. Thats what put me off going to see them the last time they were here.

I saw them once before in the Point, they were good...but just not that good.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Seen on a US guitar site

The Brit Floyd story

In 2005 Colin Wilson, bass player of The Australian Pink Floyd Show decided not to tour outside Europe anymore, so Ian Cattell was hired on bass and vocals for the North American tours. Steve Mac took the same decision a year later, his role initially being filled by Jamie Humphries, then more recently by Bobby Harrison. In 2008, Jason Sawford decided he only wanted to do some of the North American Shows and Rob Stringer stepped in. The last part of the jigsaw was completed when Paul Bonney was replaced by Arran Ahmun on drums for all North American shows. In 2010 Steve, Colin and Jason of TAPFS appointed Kevin Brown as their new manager, replacing Chas Cole of CMP. Damian Darlington, who was one of the directors and owners of TAPFS, decided it was time to move on and formed Brit Floyd with Chas. Most of the rest of TAPFS (band and crew), all of whom are hired on a tour by tour basis, sided with Damian and went with him, so Brit Floyd is effectively the lineup of TAPFS that has toured North America for the last few years. Everyone in Brit Floyd has previously played with TAPFS, but not all in Europe. TAPFS has hired a number of new members and the bands are now entirely independent of each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Nice one Matt Bianco, very informative.

APF are bringing their new quadraphonic sound system to Dublin in Feb.
    Basically surround sound in a concert setting, Roger Waters has been using it for years.

35euro for a tribute act is steep, but these are hardly ordinary tribute acts. Their show is better than a lot of original artists Ive seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RayCon

35euro for a tribute act is steep, but these are hardly ordinary tribute acts. Their show is better than a lot of original artists Ive seen.

Dont fool yourself ... a tribute act is a tribute act - regardless of "stage show".

€35 + Booking fee will get you 2 very good shows by original artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

You are right. I was thinking of going but that is pricey for a tribute act. Katy Perry, Taylor Swift and Florence and the Machine weren't much dearer then that.

Having paid €96 for Roger Waters, €102 for Bruce Springsteen and €105 for Prince, €35 is a bargain!
    Re "€35 + Booking fee will get you 2 very good shows by original artists."
    Where? In Whelans?
    Katy Parry and Taylor Swifts shows are catered for kids, hence the low ticket price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 theportal

This is not on any guitar site. The only place it is is on TAPFS.com site which is owned my Nick Cassady who works for Brit Floyd and refuses to give the domain name back to the band.
    I would suggest you look at Wikipedia for TRUE information
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Pink_Floyd_Show

Seen on a US guitar site

The Brit Floyd story

In 2005 Colin Wilson, bass player of The Australian Pink Floyd Show decided not to tour outside Europe anymore, so Ian Cattell was hired on bass and vocals for the North American tours. Steve Mac took the same decision a year later, his role initially being filled by Jamie Humphries, then more recently by Bobby Harrison. In 2008, Jason Sawford decided he only wanted to do some of the North American Shows and Rob Stringer stepped in. The last part of the jigsaw was completed when Paul Bonney was replaced by Arran Ahmun on drums for all North American shows. In 2010 Steve, Colin and Jason of TAPFS appointed Kevin Brown as their new manager, replacing Chas Cole of CMP. Damian Darlington, who was one of the directors and owners of TAPFS, decided it was time to move on and formed Brit Floyd with Chas. Most of the rest of TAPFS (band and crew), all of whom are hired on a tour by tour basis, sided with Damian and went with him, so Brit Floyd is effectively the lineup of TAPFS that has toured North America for the last few years. Everyone in Brit Floyd has previously played with TAPFS, but not all in Europe. TAPFS has hired a number of new members and the bands are now entirely independent of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

theportal wrote: »
    This is not on any guitar site. The only place it is is on TAPFS.com site which is owned my Nick Cassady who works for Brit Floyd and refuses to give the domain name back to the band.
    I would suggest you look at Wikipedia for TRUE information
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Pink_Floyd_Show

My source was The Gear Page and obviously the poster did not quote their source so I stand corrected:rolleyes:

Wikipedia can have it's own failings and beware of any source that lays claim to "the truth"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Gregory Immense Yearbook

Dont fool yourself ... a tribute act is a tribute act - regardless of "stage show".

€35 + Booking fee will get you 2 very good shows by original artists.

I'll never see Pink Floyd play, I've seen The Australian Pink Floyd and loved 'em - I've my ticket (priced at €35) for Brit Floyd and I'm pretty bloody happy about it too.

Cheap as chips for a big concert venue like The O2 in my opinion.

This entire gig from their January Liverpool date is on YT and is pretty amazing.

Roll on May 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

I know its not pink floyd but it is the music of pink floyd performed live by professional musicians in a premier venue. "dont fool yourself" where else are you going to hear pink floyd music played live.
    €35 would be expensive for a pub cover band but from what I have watched on Youtube the Brit Pink floyd is a Show worth experiencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Heading to this myself as i've reseigned myself to the fact that I'll probably never see the proper line up bar DVDs and Youtube!

I seen some of the reviews online and they seem to do the job so will be interesting!

oh and quick question is there any hassle with bringing bags into the O2 if you are sitting. I'll be travelling from Donegal on the bus so will have clothes and a book really just and was thinking of stuffing it under the seat.

I'm assuming there is no issues but thought to ask first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

Nah You'll Be Grand Just go two free tickets for it!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Lads anyone know what time this is starting at?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I have seen the real thing and the Aussies. The Aussies were better than I had expected. But I wouldn't go out of my way again.

Estimated kick off @ 8.15pm.

There will be 2 sets with an intermission in between, but your looking at 2hrs and 15mins of music.

Looking forward to this now, especially the full version of "Echoes".

with doors open at half 6 anyone know if there is a support?

Due to the length of the Brit Floyd set, there'll be no support.

In The o2 Now its empty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Keep us posted, I had to sell tickets for this because It was working out a very expensive weekend with stuff on everyday

Keep us posted, I had to sell tickets for this because It was working out a very expensive weekend with stuff on everyday
    Will do its accualty filling up now i'll upload a few photos When i get home :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Was reasonably full in the end although the back tier was closed off. Fantastic show though

Advertisement