Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondry school entrance exam

• 11-01-2010 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

I know that there is a site SOMEWHERE!!! which allows you download a sample paper of what kids can expect in the entrance assessment for senior school, but I have searched and searched and I can not find it,.
    I have asked the school where my daughter will be attending and they have told me not to worry about it, as it is not an exam, just a very minor test to give them an indication of where she is at.

That's all good and well, except in order for her to know what she should brush up on it would be great to have a look at one,.
    If anyone knows I would be delighted to be pointed in the right direction, she is getting herself worked up and though I am trying to be calm and reasonable I do understand her fears.

Thanks

Bell.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't worry about it. It's not an exam, just a very minor test to give them an indication of where she is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Wrong forum tbh. AH would point her in a direction that you don't want her pointing in.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Let's just hope that the answer to question one isn't secondary eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

It honestly is not something you study for. Its like a Micra T test if I remember correctly (had one in 2001). It's just to give an indication of reading comprehension, basic maths skills etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

I thought they got rid of them....
    Although, in my day it was just a few maths problems and a bit of comprehension really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Chonaic mé timpiste ar an bóther. Chodail mé go sámh an oiche sin.

Is all she needs to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

Marvelous,. LOL.

"Brushing up" with a copy of an entrance exam is cheating.
    It's simply things they've already done.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

No I am not looking for her to brush up with the actual exam, I was just looking for a previous exam so that she could have an idea of what to expect, I most certainly not condone 'Cheating' and as the post primary school keeps pointing out, it is not an exam, it is just an assessment.

The junior school is being very vague and saying revise, however they have never done winter or summer exams with the class over the years and she feels a little nervous about it, understandably as far as I am concerned.

Anyway, not to worry, I have asked in another forum and have been pointed to the 'Irish board of education' who give a guide to what the students should brush up on, which is exactly what I was looking for,.

Thanks for the help.

Bell:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

When I did mine it was (to me) ridiculously simplistic.

Joining baby animals with their parents, very basic grammar/comprehension.

She'll be fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

An english essay, some maths problems including algebra, irish comprehension, that was it.

Well....for me.... I got the best English essay of my whole year, and a couple years before it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭ Rayden Swift Fan

I never had to do this exam. Should I be worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Mine was in three subjects: Maths, Irish & English.

The results determined which class you got into for school.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

bellapip wrote: »
    No I am not looking for her to brush up with the actual exam, I was just looking for a previous exam so that she could have an idea of what to expect, I most certainly not condone 'Cheating' and as the post primary school keeps pointing out, it is not an exam, it is just an assessment.

The junior school is being very vague and saying revise, however they have never done winter or summer exams with the class over the years and she feels a little nervous about it, understandably as far as I am concerned.

Anyway, not to worry, I have asked in another forum and have been pointed to the 'Irish board of education' who give a guide to what the students should brush up on, which is exactly what I was looking for,.

Thanks for the help.

If she can multiply and divide and can read at all she'll be fine..if she's worried calm her down but don't get panicy over it yourself or you might scare her more..

I dont remember mine that well but I do remember being easy and most people were waiting for the bell to go for ages because they finished it so quick..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Let's just hope that the answer to question one isn't secondary eh?

Says he who shuns the 'grammar' nazis ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭ Bobby Harsh Prizefight

Yup, it's an indication of how old you are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

The purpose of the exam in my school was determine what level you were at and what class you should be placed in to. I would imagine the same questions come up every year and by giving her an advantage compared to others it could inflate her scores and put her in to a class where she won't get the necessary attention.
    Just let her do the exam and see what class she falls into. Around Christmas time in first year the classes were re-arranged anyway to take account for those who might have had a bad exam day anyway.

Gah I hate this mentality of trying to prepare kids for utterly pointless exams such as entrance exams. I hope we don't end up like it is in the UK where there are grind schools for 11 year olds to make them exam ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ Taylor Muscular Splinter

I remember the teacher gave us out sample papers and the Irish paper i got off him was the exact one that appeared for the entrance exam pity i never studied it properly oh well long time ago :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 finger

Entrance exams really are nothing to worry about, nothing that you would need to "brush" up on or revise for, just a very general test. I remember freaking out when it was coming up to doing mine (and it was on a saturday) but i soon realised its nothing to worry about and once your in there, its grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

"The cat lives in the box - Where does the cat live?"

Was a question on my secondary schools entrance exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

You have to repeat Secondary and any subsequent further education AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

test doesnt matter that much really but the amount of cheating that went on when i was doing it was unbelievable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

brummytom wrote: »
    You have to repeat Secondary and any subsequent further education AFAIK

Times have changed, he will have to repeat life!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I was ****ting myself going into that exam hah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

I know that there is a site SOMEWHERE!!! which allows you download a sample paper of what kids can expect in the entrance assessment for senior school, but I have searched and searched and I can not find it,.
    I have asked the school where my daughter will be attending and they have told me not to worry about it, as it is not an exam, just a very minor test to give them an indication of where she is at.

That's all good and well, except in order for her to know what she should brush up on it would be great to have a look at one,.
    If anyone knows I would be delighted to be pointed in the right direction, she is getting herself worked up and though I am trying to be calm and reasonable I do understand her fears.

Thanks

Who studies for an entrance exam?

Tell her to go play in the snow slush. :D

An eleven/twelve year old shouldn't be worrying about exams.

And seeing that she is the type to get worked up over this I think she'll do juuuust fine.

(By juuuuust fine, I mean very well!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Thanks for the help.

Isn't the above the point? Its an assessment of their current abilities with xyz, not what they have studied for over the last few days. Seriously, they'll do enough of that with the Junior and Leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Yes. But unfortunately, its too late for you now Rayden Swift Fan. Better just give up trying now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

The year I was going into 1st the two secondary schools in my town decided not to give itt see how it turned out,th year after the re-introduced it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

so you know somones who is entering secondary school...and you want them to cheat on a small assesment.

unless the person is intellectually disabled or really really stupid......i dont see the point

because
    you choose your subjects and level....it dosnt go by who did the best on the crap assesment test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

That's what happens when you leave school aged 9. You miss these critical moments in education.

Advertisement