Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army Recruitment - Questions Thread

• 12-04-2012 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

Right so, basically a thread for folks who are currently attempting to join the Army as Recruits to ask questions about the application process, Recruit training, life after you've finished training etc.

Should hopefully help the forum avoid being clogged up by thread after thread of questions. Plus, with a few serving Army members on here it's a specific thread for people to ask questions to people who've been there and done that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Onanon

Around what date is the fitness assessment likely to take place? I had an ingrown toenail removed, and won't be training for a while.

Will having been prescribed antidepressants in the past automatically disqualify me from serving? If it won't, is there a certain time you have be off them to be considered fit for service?

Had internships with businesses in the past. Will the operations management, teamwork and communications skills I learned be relevant to the recruitment process? Or should I focus on my team sports involvement, athletics and judo?

Most of what I'm doing in college is working with others to learn difficult or technical material. Is it a continual self-improvement culture in the Army?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Onanon wrote: »
    Around what date is the fitness assessment likely to take place? I had an ingrown toenail removed, and won't be training for a while.

I wont know until Monday but will get back to you if Pocc or someone doesnt first.

Will having been prescribed antidepressants in the past automatically disqualify me from serving? If it won't, is there a certain time you have be off them to be considered fit for service?

This is something that is up to you to declare. Im not sure of the ramifications but if you were taken off them by a doctor and have no side effects or dependance on the tabs you might be ok. I am not in the Medical Corps so dont take my word as gospel.

Had internships with businesses in the past. Will the operations management, teamwork and communications skills I learned be relevant to the recruitment process? Or should I focus on my team sports involvement, athletics and judo?

Mention at length all of the above. The panel will want to hear examples of your management, teamwork and communication skills. They are very important. Sports are very important also, mention everything. The more comprehensively you talk, the better the interview will be. Be confident but not arrogant in your speaking.

Most of what I'm doing in college is working with others to learn difficult or technical material. Is it a continual self-improvement culture in the Army?

The army favours people to self improve, whether in work or in civvy street.

Thanks.

Make sure you research what the DF does, it's roles at home and abroad. It is imperrative that you have a good knowledge of what we are and what we do.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

just thought i would ask about Psychometric Testing is this being used for bouth army and navy now as it says this on there web page,

beco2010 wrote: »
    just thought i would ask about Psychometric Testing is this being used for bouth army and navy now as it says this on there web page,

It is for the army anyway. I would presume it will be used across the board. There is no sense in only doing it for one branch of the DF.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

Anyone here have any experience on the Psychometric test and what it will entail. From looking at Google it appears they are job specific which means the ones on-line would surely differ from a military geared one or am I wrong ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

i have a few questions.....

1, what kind of questions are asked in the interview.

2, when can you expect your first weekend off?

3, Are phones allowed in the evening?

4, what are the typical workday hours eg revely 0600 to 2200???
    (what im trying to get at is how long do you have to iron your uniform polish boots ect.)

5, what are instructors attitudes against ex rdf or do they even know who is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 chubbysteve18

Hi I have just applied for the army and navy general enlistment this year.

I am just curious to know does anyone know the time frame this year for the assessment processes. Even a rough estimate would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

c-90 wrote: »
    i have a few questions.....

1, what kind of questions are asked in the interview.

2, when can you expect your first weekend off?

3, Are phones allowed in the evening?

4, what are the typical workday hours eg revely 0600 to 2200???
    (what im trying to get at is how long do you have to iron your uniform polish boots ect.)

5, what are instructors attitudes against ex rdf or do they even know who is?

1. Fairly typical ones, the roles of the Defence Forces, current Overseas missions etc. then you'll be asked for examples of when you've showed leadership qualities, when you've worked under pressure, how you work as part of team and what not. The interview is nothing crazy, just be sure to have a knowledge of the DF and what it's about.

2. Completely dependant on the Training Staff, your Pln Commander and Pln Sgt especially, plus how your Platoon performs. Generally speaking, you'll most likely get the first or second weekend off purely as you'll have stuff to pick up etc. after that though, you're at the mercy of your Pln Commander and Pln Sgt.

3. Again, completely dependant on your Training Staff. Personally speaking, we handed out phones up on our first parade in the morning, where they'd go into an ammo box and the box would go into the Training Office. When we'd see them again depended on how we performed during the day.

4. This really is gonna be a phrase you're gonna see alot but it's really upto your Training Staff. Generally speaking, the day starts at between 0530-0600 when you'll get up and start cleaning etc. and lights out at roughly 2300. However, many things can happen in a day and I really wouldn't set my heart on a start and finish time. I remember one night I got to bed after 0300 in the morning, then another morning where I woke up at 0600 to be told we had 10 minutes to get outside for a Battle PT. A Recruit's life is hectic and you can expect to be working after lights out regularly.

5. Yes, they'll know your ex RDF. How they react to that will mostly depend on you. If you want to act like a know it all, you can expect to suffer for it. If you do your bit just like everyone else, be clean, be on time, don't be last on PT's and be ready to always learn, you'll be fine. Personally speaking, I got on perfectly fine, the same can't be said for other members of my Platoon who took the know it all option when it came to their former RDF life.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

thanks man, one last thing. would using the rdf for examples in the interweiw come off as cocky or should i look for different examples

c-90 wrote: »
    thanks man, one last thing. would using the rdf for examples in the interweiw come off as cocky or should i look for different examples

Id say use them. It would demonstrate that you have a good military knowledge and that you are able to implement what you were previously taught.

However, do have other examples, I would not want to rely solely on RDF experiences.

• Advertisement

It was just on RTE news 6800 have already applied for the 600 places and still nearly a week to go. They interviewed one guy who stated that a job in the DF never appealed to him but because of the recession he would apply, hopefully people like that will be weeded out.

CIGANO wrote: »
    It was just on RTE news 6800 have already applied for the 600 places and still nearly a week to go. They interviewed one guy who stated that a job in the DF never appealed to him but because of the recession he would apply, hopefully people like that will be weeded out.

Unfortunately in the current climate, we will get all types of applicants. I would prefer to get someone who always had an interest in the DF. I just hope people they are not using it to bridge a gap while waiting for something better to come over the horizon.

"Over qualified people" are great on paper but if their heart is not really in the job, they wont last long which is a waste of a spot in a Platoon.

As soon as the cold, late nights, early mornings and beastings start its a different story.

I just hope the people that are accepted, want it.

benwavner wrote: »
    Unfortunately in the current climate, we will get all types of applicants. I would prefer to get someone who always had an interest in the DF. I just hope people they are not using it to bridge a gap while waiting for something better to come over the horizon.

"Over qualified people" are great on paper but if their heart is not really in the job, they wont last long which is a waste of a spot in a Platoon.

As soon as the cold, late nights, early mornings and beastings start its a different story.

I just hope the people that are accepted, want it.

Hopefully the people that really want/deserve it will be spotted in the interview. And as you said the people that only see it as a job to tide them over will find it very hard to motivate themselves when they are freezing their balls off (no offence to any females applying, they will also feel the cold :D ) on the side of a mountain. I think the DF will be prepared for these people applying, no point in having a couple of hundred graduates leaving in a few years if the jobs market in the civi world ever picks up.

just to ask, i'v aplied to the army but also the navy will this come across as if i have no commitment to ether

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

If anyone wants to do some training before their fitness assessment contact me by P.M
    We offer a training service taught by an experienced group of instructors

investment wrote: »
    If anyone wants to do some training before their fitness assessment contact me by P.M
    put this fella back in the cage :mad:

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭JayJay123

Hi! I just have a few questions about applying etc any help wold be hugely appreciated!

Is there a minimum amount of women they take in or is it just a case of whoever is succesfull or not?
    In my application where can I mention I play gaelic football and soccer? I dont see a space for it.
    I dont have any college qualifications,(worked since I left school..im now 23) and I was made redundant 2 years ago and have only had one temporary job in that time.. will it matter that I have been unemployed for that long? Also do they ring your places of work for refrences?

Also any help with the layout of the interview, what is asked etc would be so helpfull!

Again any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Investment, if you post your ****e in this thread or another serious topic in this forum again you'll be banned for a week.

JayJay123 wrote: »
    Hi! I just have a few questions about applying etc any help wold be hugely appreciated!

Is there a minimum amount of women they take in or is it just a case of whoever is succesfull or not?
    In my application where can I mention I play gaelic football and soccer? I dont see a space for it.
    I dont have any college qualifications,(worked since I left school..im now 23) and I was made redundant 2 years ago and have only had one temporary job in that time.. will it matter that I have been unemployed for that long? Also do they ring your places of work for refrences?

Also any help with the layout of the interview, what is asked etc would be so helpfull!

Thanks

1. No, there is no quota for the amount of women they take on.
    2. You'll get plenty of time to tell them about it at the interview stage.
    3. I wouldn't imagine so, for the DF to prejudice against people for being unemployed in the current climate would be madness. I'd imagine it won't be an issue.
    4. Not too sure if they do actually? I don't think so.
    5. For the interview, as above, you'll be expected to know about the DF and it's roles. Also, have examples ready for when you've worked under pressure, worked in a team, shown leadership etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

Thanks

To many qualified people applying son

Seen a guy from TCD on the news last night applying;)

You would be better training and gaining some more experience. You have been living off the state for the last two years while you could have gone to college and gain some knowledge. You now expect to get a handy job in the army with a pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

With the high amount applying both the army and the navy can be very picky.

Imo if you don't pass the fitness test you haven't tried hard enough.

As promised, Investment has been banned for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭bandybanter

Is there an age limit extension for RDF members, I recall there being one for the Cadetships a few years back. I'm 26. I have applied for the Navy but would like to apply for the Army too.

Is there an age limit extension for RDF members, I recall there being one for the Cadetships a few years back. I'm 26. I have applied for the Navy but would like to apply for the Army too.

No, unfortunately there isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭bandybanter

Well the Navy it is, so!!

To many qualified people applying son

Seen a guy from TCD on the news last night applying;)

You would be better training and gaining some more experience. You have been living off the state for the last two years while you could have gone to college and gain some knowledge. You now expect to get a handy job in the army with a pension.

I dont know why Im even replying to your stupid post but reading it just made me so angry... I dont expect anyone let alone myself to just "get a handy job in the army with a pension"
    It wasnt my choice to be "living off the state for the last two years" and do you think people who havent went to college dont have knowledge or experience??

Idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

I dont know why Im even replying to your stupid post but reading it just made me so angry... I dont expect anyone let alone myself to just "get a handy job in the army with a pension"
    It wasnt my choice to be "living off the state for the last two years" and do you think people who havent went to college dont have knowledge or experience??

Idiot

Ignore this fool......He has been banned for a week by the Mods. Look in the Walter Mitty sub forum at the Psyco intense training thread. You will understand him better.

Go for PDF if that is what you want. You may be good enough but he certainly is not!!

Dogwatch wrote: »
    Ignore this fool......He has been banned for a week by the Mods. Look in the Walter Mitty sub forum at the Psyco intense training thread. You will understand him better.

Go for PDF if that is what you want. You may be good enough but he certainly is not!!

Thanks Dogwatch, I had a look there.. I now see the light!

How do I apply for PDF?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

How do I apply for PDF?

Not bein bad here but if you need help with that, you may as well not bother...

Advertisement