Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Events

• 28-04-2012 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Am I the only one who absolutely dreads the idea of spending an afternoon in a pub with my extended family. Its one of my cousins communion of confirmation today, and I've to show a face at the after...Well I was supposed to do the same at the church, but I "slept It In".

I don't drink, I don't particular like people in general or small talk. Also my uncles and dad don't seem to understand I don't like to drink any more and they will be offering me drink and making jokes about me not drinking...

On top of all this, the place its on, is about an hour and a half walk away...

Now to the people who say get a taxi...I can't afford to get a taxi(well I can but I'm trying to save money from my dole to potentially get out of this country to get work)

/rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No, everybody LOVES family events. . . . . . ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Hey all,

Am I the only one who absolutely dreads the idea of spending an afternoon in a pub with my extended family. Its one of my cousins communion of confirmation today, and I've to show a face at the after...Well I was supposed to do the same at the church, but I "slept It In".

I don't drink, I don't particular like people in general or small talk. Also my uncles and dad don't seem to understand I don't like to drink any more and they will be offering me drink and making jokes about me not drinking...

Now to the people who say get a taxi...I can't afford to get a taxi(well I can but I'm trying to save money from my dole to potentially get out of this country to get work)

/rant

whatever about the rest, fuk that for a laugh :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I would spend the day complaining about how inappropriate it is to bring a child to the oub for the day - one of my pets hates but then I don't like children. Piss everyone off and you may not be invited to any more family occasions.

My family occasions are all buffered with alcohol (all of us, not just me), so I can't imagine how annoying it must be.

How are you going to get there? Can you not go home the same way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Christ, you better start walking. Like now, get off the internet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

''I don't particular like people in general''
    Ahh...right .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

IM0 wrote: »
    whatever about the rest, fuk that for a laugh :eek:

Yeah I know, I'm not a slow walker by an any means either, I often walk into town from my house(4km) in under 30 minutes weather dependant now

I would spend the day complaining about how inappropriate it is to bring a child to the oub for the day - one of my pets hates but then I don't like children. Piss everyone off and you may not be invited to any more family occasions.

My family occasions are all buffered with alcohol (all of us, not just me), so I can't imagine how annoying it must be.

How are you going to get there? Can you not go home the same way?

Going to Walk it

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Just dont go. Simple as that. I don't know why you are even worried about it. Seriously…just don't go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

girl2 wrote: »
    Just dont go. grow a pair.

fyp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Going to Walk it

:eek: Stay at home, Paddy. Give the brat a card with some money another time. That's the only reason people are asked to these 'occasions'.

• Advertisement

girl2 wrote: »
    Just dont go. Simple as that. I don't know why you are even worried about it. Seriously…just don't go.

Because I promised my dad I'd go. If he wasn't there I wouldn't be anywhere near the palce

:eek: Stay at home, Paddy. Give the brat a card with some money another time. That's the only reason people are asked to these 'occasions'.

She's not even getting a card off me, she may get a well done

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Because I promised my dad I'd go. If he wasn't there I wouldn't be anywhere near the palce

Ok. Say to your da "look da, I'm not up for all this carry on. I'm broke and not only does that mean I'd have to fork out for the kid, I can't even afford the taxi which means id have to walk it. Like, come on da, what do I know about these things, plus they don't know nothing about me and all I'll sit there doing is feeling like a plum and wishing I wa at home. Ya get what I'm saying? Cheers pop, I knew ya'd get me. Good man."

See. Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I dread the thoughts of spending an afternoon with your extended family too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Jeez what great craic you seem to be...

I don't care if you don't drink but you don't like people in general? Jesus wept. I'm sorry but you also seem to have a bit of a stick up your arse about you not drinking. Just laugh it off. Nobody's bothered. I'm vegetarian and I've had all manners of grief or jokes off people in the family but if you brush it off, have a laugh nobody cares.

Also just think what are you going to remember in life? Going to your cousin's communion and have an afternoon with your family, which let's face it not all of them will be around forever or the time you couldn't be bothered to go and spent your time on the internet complaining about it? Go to the pub with a smile on your face, enjoy it and cherish the moments you have with your family.

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

dont go OP

i detest going to family functions with a passion they are always packed with people i dont like and full of kids!

its awful...save yourself the misery and the money and dont go

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I don't speak to my extended family because they're all a shower of cunts, so luckily I don't have to put up with any of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Go and get plastered and wreck the place.

You will never be asked to go to a family thing again.

Jeez what great craic you seem to be...

I don't care if you don't drink but you don't like people in general? Jesus wept. I'm sorry but you also seem to have a bit of a stick up your arse about you not drinking. Just laugh it off. Nobody's bothered. I'm vegetarian and I've had all manners of grief or jokes off people in the family but if you brush it off, have a laugh nobody cares.

Also just think what are you going to remember in life? Going to your cousin's communion and have an afternoon with your family, which let's face it not all of them will be around forever or the time you couldn't be bothered to go and spent your time on the internet complaining about it? Go to the pub with a smile on your face, enjoy it and cherish the moments you have with your family.

:cool:

Sorry there was a typo, I don't hate people. I just hate people with drink in them they talk way too much sh!te, that includes me, thus the sober new me. There is only so much I can laugh off, I'm not great at taking stick, as I can't give any back.

What I'll remember in life is the good times, not sitting in a pub bored off my tree having a sh!te day
    phasers wrote: »
    I don't speak to my extended family because they're all a shower of cunts, so luckily I don't have to put up with any of that.

Was in that boat myself with the extended family, but after the passing of my grandmother, they are now all friends again.

So I'm back and it wasn't all bad, was only bored for 2 and a half hours, and made the walk in just under an hour...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't drink, I don't particular like people in general or small talk.

So you don't drink, you don't like people and you don't like small talk? Its not just family events your going to have difficulty with I'm afraid.

I love my extended family. Most of them live in the USA so I only see them about once a year but we all got together in New York at christmas and it was mighty craic. Just go and try to have fun. It'll look bad if you don't show up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

If it makes you feel any better I am skipping my niece's christening tomorrow because my b*tch of a sister is married to a**hole who's entire family are cnuts (German you see, ghastly race you know!)

So instead I intend to work for the day and then get drunk alone in a dark room. I'm not saying it's a good plan but it's a plan and here's the deal, at the end of the day we all make our choices in regards to the social functions that we attend, if people don't like it then tell em to grow a pair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Don't go OP. It's only a poxy communion / confirmation. When I had my communion, one family of my closest cousins came, but we were all around the same age and quite close. No extended family came to my confirmation. This thing of the whole extended family being expected to attend these events is ridiculous.

BTW, can your father not collect you, if he's so keen for you to attend?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

Hey all,

/rant

party will be better off without you tbh.............you come across as an unbearable bore. not cos you dont drink, i know lads that dont ale and are still good craic.

party will be better off without you tbh.............you come across as an unbearable bore. not cos you dont drink, i know lads that dont ale and are still good craic.

I'm plenty of craic, but I just don't like what I don't like.

When I'm at a football match, or tacking sport I'm interested and thus not bore.

If you were somewhere you had no interest, would you just fake your way through it, you be yourself?

I'd prefer to be myself and not someone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

I'm plenty of craic, but I just don't like what I don't like.

When I'm at a football match, or tacking sport I'm interested and thus not bore.

If you were somewhere you had no interest, would you just fake your way through it, you be yourself?

I'd prefer to be myself and not someone else

Mate I hear ya 100%

everything ya said there would echo my own sentiments to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Ah here dont go if thats the way ye feel no point in ruining it for everyone else

Ah here dont go if thats the way ye feel no point in ruining it for everyone else

As I said earlier, I went and didn't ruin it for anyone I'm sure.

I kept to myself and spoke to my brother, dad a few others and looked after one of my cousins, was a grand day. But would have preferred not to have been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭shancoduff

Agreed. I often have to give myself a kick up the arse to actually go to things like this, but stuff that has happened in my life makes me deeply regretful of the times I didn't make the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

You seem to be overthinking this. My last child's confirmation was today and i didn't invite my mother to it. I'm done with people that give me a vibe that something like this is a big deal to them. Dont brown me dont go if its a big deal. At this stage my kids dont even ask, if they're there they are there, dont think its that big a deal

• Advertisement
Advertisement