Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US] 6x05- "The Angel of Death" [*SPOILERS WITHIN*]

• 01-11-2011 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

With the help of his newfound friend Brother Sam, Dexter wonders if there is light within him to counter the darkness, while the search for the Doomsday Killers takes him in a new direction; Batista and Quinn pay a visit to the university where Professor Gellar taught; due to departmental regulations following the shooting, Debra is forced to begin therapy.

What did you think of 6x05 'The Angel of Death'? 23 votes

Excellent
    0%
    Pretty good
    17%
    drive3331Mr VeloGumble01Wilson91 4 votes
    Average
    47%
    GoolayThe GnomeAisling(",)[Deleted User]claivaKirbytok9herissonJax Tellerthe_monkeySunny!! 11 votes
    Poor
    30%
    Starkrain onjcfconnollysRaoulapope8shano_88 7 votes
    Awful
    4%
    Staplor 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Average
    Wow, im amazed there is no posts in here yet, It was a decent ep, but some cheesy lines - "I'm gonna snuff his lights out" - please ??!!!

I still don't know if this Gelar guy is in Travis head or not - Dexter could regret not taking him while he had the chance ..

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Poor
    Was really disappointed with Dexter letting Travis go in this instance. Thought it was a bit dumb, like doesnt he usually look for undeniable proof before his kills and then to just back off cause of what Travis says, Poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭rain on

Poor
    Was a bit of a meh episode compared to the high drama of the last one, it didn't feel like much really happened. Deb doesn't like her office and has a fight with Dexter's nanny, whatever! The next one looks like it'll be another exciting ep though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

With any luck, Vince Masuka's new assistant will be the next victim so that his previous assistant can make a come-back.

• Average
    It bothered me that Dexter took a page from Travis' bible - especially as it was a "trophy" page. Thats going to be noticed.

I also thought it was weak that Dexter let Travis go.

But its still better than season 5!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Average
    was alright, dexter really needs to start pacing up i'm getting bored!

Is definitely better that season 5

I see development and the assistant ryan though will be exciting:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

It bothered me that Dexter took a page from Travis' bible - especially as it was a "trophy" page. Thats going to be noticed.

I also thought it was weak that Dexter let Travis go.

It bothered me when he cut the page out at first, but then I figured that Dexter was thinking that if he's going to kill him anyway, it doesn't really matter.
    Of course then he let him go, which indeed was weak, at least in terms of plot and how it was presented. Letting him go should have been painful for Dexter, because the Need to kill is controlled by the code, rather than dampened by it. But it just seemed like the moment passed with too much ease.

I'm really not sure how good this season is going to be overall. Often there's a mid-season lull in Dexter (it even happened in Season 4), before all the excitement and action ramps up toward the end of the season. I thought the first couple of episodes this season showed a lot of promise, but at this point, here are the problems I have with it:

1) Hanks and EJO were very easily discovered (especially Hanks!)
    2) I like Mos Def, I was happy to see him in the show, and it seemed like there would be an interesting story for him and Dexter once he saw Dexter hit that guy and found out he worked for Miami Metro. His character got boring and repetitive quite fast, and now he's been shot, and I didn't really care, tbh.
    3) Honestly, I don't really care about any of the characters anymore, except Dexter. The others seemingly have no plot left to them: Deb gets a new apartment. Quinn begins whoring himself and hanging around more with Angel. LaGuerta is LaGuerta. Who cares??
    The only character besides Dexter that I have any interest in anymore is Masuka. He might not have a whole lot of plot to him, but I really do think the character is really consistent and well-written.
    4) As someone said in the relevant episode thread, what was the deal with the Tooth Fairy? A single-episode arc to deal with this 'legendary killer', when a whole season was dedicated to Trinity? Regardless, it felt like too much of an aside to the arc of the whole season.

I think the show has too many writers. Also, most of the best episodes seem to be credited to Melissa Rosenberg, who left after Season 4.
    (I see she has also written for The OC, and the films Step Up and the adaptations of the Twilight series, which is kind of surprising..!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Poor
    I think the new detective from Chicago has potential to be the new Doakes..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,478 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

jcf wrote: »
    I think the new detective from Chicago has potential to be the new Doakes..

Racist :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭MJRS

This season is as bad as 5. If not worse! Cringeworthy awful tripe. I keep telling myself not to bother watching the next episode but some morbid curiosity keeps me coming back. So bad...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Poor
    KevIRL wrote: »
    Racist :pac:

why ?

OK I think Mike Anderson will be on to Dexter and will investigate him - just as Doakes did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JiveTurkey

MJRS wrote: »
    This season is as bad as 5. If not worse! Cringeworthy awful tripe. I keep telling myself not to bother watching the next episode but some morbid curiosity keeps me coming back. So bad...

Season 5 was definately worse. Its a bit slap dash in storyline but I quite like its spontaneous nature...

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭MJRS

JiveTurkey wrote: »
    Season 5 was definately worse. Its a bit slap dash in storyline but I quite like its spontaneous nature...
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that! I stomached season 5 from start to finish, possibly on the strength of season 4's finish, but I haven't watched Dexter in weeks now. The dialogue has become so painful, the storyline so predictable and his monologues, my god, they're never anything but cringey. I think season 5 had a bit more spontaneity to it personally, I never could guess what next week's episode had in store (although, I was disappointed each time because it was pretty much always worse than the high hopes I gave it), s6 I'm disappointed each week despite the low hopes I gave it. I might watch the finale in the hope of something interesting happening, but otherwise.... RIP Dexter :(

It really does sadden me to say that though, I quite like the pattern they've given us so far in terms of his character from season to season:
    1 New "fake" life vs old "real" one
    2 Potential of being found out, coupled with finding someone who actively likes what he does
    3 Possibility of finding a partner in crime
    4 Possibility of finding a mentor
    5 Possibility of finding a "Rita" who accepts him
    6 Dark Passenger related, I can't say for sure what the point is at this stage, but if the last few seasons are anything to go by, it won't carry on to the next and will be swiftly resolved in 2 weeks time, or however long is left.

In summary, great premise, some excellent seasons, and some truly atrocious ham-fisted writing.

Advertisement