Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ratings

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭lovinit

We dont get TV3 but they seem to show roughly the same programmes as UTV

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

lovinit wrote: »
    We dont get TV3 but they seem to show roughly the same programmes as UTV

Yeah pretty much a few exceptions. They don't show ITV News, GMTV or UTV News or any of their current affair programmes. Or any of their imported shows, US Programming and a few Irish shows are the main differences.

They have a deal with ITV for their programmes until 2013.

Prime Time (ROI)
    1. RTE 1 32.5%
    2. Other TV 14.3%
    3. TV3 12.5%
    4. RTE 2 11.8%
    5. BBC 1 5.1%
    6. UTV 4.5%
    7. CH 4 3.6%
    8. BBC 2 3.2%
    9. TG4 2.2%
    10.SKY One 2.1%
    11.Living TV 1.2%
    12.E4 1.2%
    13.SKY News 0.8%
    14.Paramount 0.8%
    15. SKY Sports 0.7%
    16. Setanta 0.7%
    17. 3e 0.7%
    18. MTV 0.7%
    19. SKY Sports 2 0.5%
    20. Nick 0.3%
    21. Nick Jr 0.2%
    22. SKY Sports News 0.1%
    23. Paramount 1 +1 0.1%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 plugitplayit

Elmo, interested to hear what you think of this? Have you seen it?

Pretty much filling a need...37% share last week up from 33 the week before. Production values? Talent??

Elmo, interested to hear what you think of this? Have you seen it?

Pretty much filling a need...37% share last week up from 33 the week before. Production values? Talent??

I think I replied to that thread. Not my type of show tbh.

The reason you will find with 32% is because it provides most of the news and current affairs for the country. You aren't going to get the same type of news shows on other channels. Also RTÉ do a number of quality documentaries after 9 O'Clock. You see RTÉ aren't just relying on Entertainment to bring in their audience.

Unlike TV3 and RTE TWO who rely on Soap opera and Sport (respectively) to get their audiences.

Also the above figures are for Prime Time only. All day below.

1 RTE 1 26.8
    2 All Other TV 17.9
    3 TV3 11.9
    4 RTE 2 10.7
    5 BBC 1 5.6
    6 UTV 4.5
    7 CH 4 3.9
    8 BBC 2 3.2
    9 TG4 2.6
    10 SKY One 2.2
    11 Living TV 1.5
    12 E4 1.3
    13 SKY News 1.3
    14 SKY Sports 1 1.1
    15 Paramount 1
    16 MTV 0.9
    17 Setanta Sports 0.8
    18 3e 0.8
    19 Nickelodeon 0.6
    20 SKY Sports 2 0.5
    21 Nick Jr 0.4
    22 SKY Sports News* 0.2
    23 Paramount 1 +1 0.1

The All Ireland Talent Shows first episode got 536,000 viewers. I don't think the audience will stay at that level to be honest. I don't I watched a bit of the first show and am trying to avoid the show as much as I tried to avoid the Fakeness of Xfactor, which was up this year from last year.

Also Sunday Night after the news is gold, and really it can't be as bad as Colm and Jim Jim :( even Anne Doyle couldn't save them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 plugitplayit

Yeah Colm and Jim Jim was dissapointing alright. I think i watched one full show. Thing is, the idea in theory I thought was much better - Basically a 'Where in the World?' for the 21st century. Using skype and competing against users around the world in General Knowledge questions or possibly even geography question. Didn't come close to the bulls eye though.

There is only so much of daytime television that anyone person can handle. Weather it is the banter from across the water on This Morning or Loose Women or the happy happy omg attitude of the xpose girls during this recession it will eventually grate on you and you will become addicted to finding out what the hell happens to the pregnant teenager in Neighbors (yes they don't spell it with a U).

Daytime TV on up as times get hard

It is time to get out of the house. Go to the gym, you possibly have paid those annual fee, go on get fit.

OR

Why not think of studying, while the academic year has already started perhaps it is time to look at either night or day course as a hobby that may lead you to thinking about a full time course next year. After all we have all paid the nations colleges.

70954.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Wish I had this last night! Thanks anyway

http://www.tg4.ie/bearla/leir/luch.asp

This week see allot of English Language programming but is is down to the lack of summer programming on TG4, consisting of mainly repeats and foreign imports.

I am surprised to see Paisean Faisean continuing to do well for TG4, I would have thought the novelty would have run it course but with 77,000 and 41,000 viewers it is doing very well for TG4.

None of the TV rating ever mention News which accounts for most of the viewers for Irish programmes across all of the Irish channels. I suppose it is to give a general idea of what people are watching outside the news.

Weekending the 21/06/09 They might keep this updated :)

Channel Audience
    1 RTÉ One 22.2
    2 TV3 12.1
    3 RTÉ Two 11.6
    4 BBC One 5.2
    5 UTV 4
    6 Channel 4 3.9
    7 TG4 2.6
    8 BBC Two 2.5
    9 Sky One 2
    10 E4 1.5
    11 Living 1.2
    12 Comedy Central 1.2
    13 Sky News 1.1
    14 Sky Sports 1 1
    15 Sky Sports 2 0.9
    16 3e 0.9
    17 Setanta Ireland 0.9
    18 MTV 0.9
    19 Nickelodeon 0.8
    20 Nick Jr 0.6
    21 E4 + 1 0.5
    22 Comedy Central +1 0.5
    23 Sky Sports News 0.4
    Eile 21.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭blueovalmk2

how do they know wat people are watching?

how do they know wat people are watching?

Each of the TV channels that you see listed above subscribe to TAM Ireland, and with that subscription they allow TAM Ireland use their TV listings to do research on each of their programmes. The "other" figure can be broken down into each of the other channels available but TAM do not collect details of the shows that they watch on those other channels on their percent viewing figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

Does anyone know where you can get ratings for Setanta 1, especially since Setanta went bust in the UK?

An Tarbh wrote: »
    Does anyone know where you can get ratings for Setanta 1, especially since Setanta went bust in the UK?

Setanta don't pay for full listings to be collected for Setanta 1 but they know what their the average audience share is through the statistic that they pay for Setanta Ireland.

Setanta 1 doesn't rely on audience share, rather it is more interested in subscriptions. Setanta Ireland has a deal with both UPC and Magnet to be on their basic packages but both are paying for this, Setanta Ireland cut the price of their service for the companies hence they rely on audience share for advertising.

No company will provide a breakdown of the 20% share that "other" channels get :mad:

Well The Apprentice has out done itself this year and You're Fired show is doing as well as last years Main show. RTÉ One is just doing as well but The Apprentice has been the big Monday Night success with 350,000 viewers on average up 100,000 viewers from last year.

Perhaps RTÉ TWO thought it could get away with last years on slaught of bad yet viewer getting TV on Monday nights. This year has been a disaster, with Carl Spain only getting 67,000 viewers (TBH in comparison to the other stuff thrown out by the station this year it isn't all that bad.) And the lost of RAW from the schedule has certainly effected the channel, I believe RAW is moving to RTÉ ONE.

The Frontline is just get above the 350,000 and will possible see a drop in viewers as the Apprentice moved to 10pm to make way for ITVs I'm a Celeb on TV3.

Over the last year RTÉ One's overall TV audience has been around the 24% mark, TV3 has steadily increased its lead over RTÉ TWO with up to 13% while RTÉ TWO's as been as low as 8% and TG4 audience share remains around the 2.5% mark. 3e saw a slight increase when it moved to 105 on Sky from .8% to 1.2% but this only brings it back to C6's audience levels back in 2008. Setanta Ireland jumps from 0.5% to 1.2%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭TetsuoHashimoto

So has TV3 now passed RTE2 with its newest shows?

So has TV3 now passed RTE2 with its newest shows?

What new shows? X-Factor, Corrie, Emmerdale and others take up a large part of TV3's schedule, this is where they are retaining audiences. The Apprentice on Monday night has been a huge success for them as a channel, and this has been helped by lack of competition from RTÉ Two. RTÉ Two's adultschedule is a disgrace, badly commissioned shows over the last 2 years has caused this decline. The only reason they are holding on is because of sports. This month will see RTÉ Two return to about 10% audience share just based on two Irish Soccer games this month. This autumn has been a great success for TV3 but it will have to wait for ITV's Britian's Got Talent to see it through the start of 2010 they currently have no major Irish series planned for the start 2010. While RTÉ Two will continue to have support from their wide range of sports including the World Cup which will see major increases for the channel even with Ireland out of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lochaber

Elmo wrote: »
    No company will provide a breakdown of the 20% share that "other" channels get :mad:

As far as I'm aware Nielsen does not record what channels most of the 20% share is made up of... they certainly didn't used to. They do record some other channels that aren't on the subscriber list, notably BBC1 and BBC2 but there are only a small handful of other channels that are measured - generally ones that used to be on cable back in the day, for example Eurosport is on, even though it's a very small channel now.

TBH I wouldn't trust that the viewing could be broken down reliably. I don't think "other" channels are on the reference site (aside from BBC1+2) which means that it's unlikely all the viewing is being collected in a form that can be broken down.

Lochaber wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware Nielsen does not record what channels most of the 20% share is made up of... they certainly didn't used to. They do record some other channels that aren't on the subscriber list, notably BBC1 and BBC2 but there are only a small handful of other channels that are measured - generally ones that used to be on cable back in the day, for example Eurosport is on, even though it's a very small channel now.

TBH I wouldn't trust that the viewing could be broken down reliably. I don't think "other" channels are on the reference site (aside from BBC1+2) which means that it's unlikely all the viewing is being collected in a form that can be broken down.

Nielsen does not breakdown by programme but gives an overview of peak and all day viewing so advertisers and TV services know the audience figures for channels for Dave and EuroSport and the like.

"Other" Channels are usual given a 20% - 25% audience share. But Neilsen would have to add their schedules to the software see what the audience of EuroSport is getting for Tour De France Highlights or QI on Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Lemondrop kid

Each of the TV channels that you see listed above subscribe to TAM Ireland, and with that subscription they allow TAM Ireland use their TV listings to do research on each of their programmes. The "other" figure can be broken down into each of the other channels available but TAM do not collect details of the shows that they watch on those other channels on their percent viewing figures.
    my bold
    Just came across this thread - interesting. Tell me, do you mean TAM ring people up and ask them what they watch? Still not clear how they compile their viewer figures

• Advertisement

my bold
    Just came across this thread - interesting. Tell me, do you mean TAM ring people up and ask them what they watch? Still not clear how they compile their viewer figures

It is explained earlier on in the tread. (sorry if that is a blunt answer, it is explained well, better than I could explain it).

The boxes that are uses are set with the schedules of 20 or so channels, the other channels do not have their schedules on the electronic box as they do not pay to be on the system, but their market share is ascertained as the channel is available on the electronic box.

This link gives you an outline of the panel that AGB Nielsen use http://www.agbnielsen.net/whereweare/dynPage.asp?lang=english&id=325&country=Ireland

TAM Ireland Ltd., is really just a chairperson who organizes the ratings with AGB Neilsen, TAM awards the contract on behalf of RTÉ, TV3, TG4, Sky, Channel 4 and a few others.

| NATIONAL | NATIONAL | MULTI-CHANNEL |MULTI-CHANNEL
    CHANNEL | 0300-2659 | 1800 - 2329 | 0300-2659 | 1800 - 2329
    RTE 1 | 25.79 |32.00 | 22.27| 27.84
    RTE 2| 9.65| 10.49| 8.49| 9.59
    TV3| 12.30| 12.91| 10.90| 11.86
    TG4| 2.67| 2.38 | 2.08| 1.88
    BBC 1| 5.29| 4.86| 6.01| 5.63
    BBC 2| 3.06| 3.07| 3.48| 3.56
    UTV| 4.53| 4.37| 5.14| 5.06
    Channel 4| 3.74| 3.30| 4.25| 3.82
    E4| 1.19| 1.01| 1.36| 1.17
    E4 +1| 0.39| 0.33| 0.44| 0.38
    SKY One| 1.92| 1.68| 2.18| 1.95
    SKY News| 1.17| 0.69| 1.33| 0.80
    SKY Sports 1| 0.94| 0.64| 1.07| 0.74
    SKY Sports 2 |0.48| 0.42| 0.55| 0.49
    SKY Sports News| 0.53| 0.34| 0.60| 0.39
    Setanta Ireland|0.90| 0.84| 1.03| 0.98
    3e|0.85 | 0.83| 0.97| 0.96
    Living|1.18| 0.98| 1.34| 1.14
    MTV|0.72| 0.58| 0.81| 0.67
    E! Entertainment|0.02| 0.01| 0.02| 0.02
    Discovery Ireland|0.01| 0.01| 0.01| 0.01
    Comedy Central|1.02| 0.84| 1.15| 0.98
    Comedy Central +1|0.47| 0.33| 0.53| 0.38
    Nickelodeon|0.48| 0.24| 0.55| 0.28
    Nick Jr|0.46| 0.30| 0.52| 0.35
    All Other TV|20.09 |16.41| 22.76| 18.93
    TOTAL| 100 | 100| 100| 100

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

OK I would like some insight to this.

SyFy in their infinite wisdom, has changed their Stream schedule of all of their shows (like SGU, etc.) So that each show now streams 8 days after they are originally shown on SyFy Channel. Further to their infinite wisdom, and ive check the awl' schedule in the US anyway, they never repeat the airing of the newest episode until 1 hr before the newest episode, the following week.

So for example, if episode 2 of SGU aired on Friday at 9, it wouldnt be shown again till the following friday at 8, and then it wouldnt be available online until the next day (saturday)

Is this some kind of fcuked up ruse to completely foul up the +7 and DVR ratings? Are they just trying to bully people back into the prime time friday slot? Times have changed, maaan. I like, *do* stuff, on fridays.

Overheal wrote: »
    OK I would like some insight to this.

SyFy in their infinite wisdom, has changed their Stream schedule of all of their shows (like SGU, etc.) So that each show now streams 8 days after they are originally shown on SyFy Channel. Further to their infinite wisdom, and ive check the awl' schedule in the US anyway, they never repeat the airing of the newest episode until 1 hr before the newest episode, the following week.

So for example, if episode 2 of SGU aired on Friday at 9, it wouldnt be shown again till the following friday at 8, and then it wouldnt be available online until the next day (saturday)

Is this some kind of fcuked up ruse to completely foul up the +7 and DVR ratings? Are they just trying to bully people back into the prime time friday slot? Times have changed, maaan. I like, *do* stuff, on fridays.

While SyFy repeats an awful lot of programmes generally new shows don't get as many repeats during their first run I assume that SGU will eventually be repeated daily. As it is on a Friday night I am guessing that working in SyFy have things to do hence why the show isn't available on their website until saturday.

New shows often get the repeat just before the next episode, E4 did this with Smallville and many other shows in the past. I always liked it as an Idea.

The next question is I thought that Sky 1 broadcast SGU on this side of the Atlantic.

Also as both Sky 1 and SyFy are pay TV they don't care too much about audience since your cable/Sat sub also give them some money.

yeah but the ratings are tanking:
    Sherifu wrote: »

Ouch, on the way down again since the bump from Space.

it seems like a silly move, with ratings in decline

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

New shows often get the repeat just before the next episode, E4 did this with Smallville and many other shows in the past. I always liked it as an Idea.

I think it's a particularly rubbish idea. If someone is busy every friday night then they haven't a hope of watching the show in this case. Even if they're doing something two fridays in a row then they're missing some episodes.

I think it's a particularly rubbish idea. If someone is busy every friday night then they haven't a hope of watching the show in this case. Even if they're doing something two fridays in a row then they're missing some episodes.

True.

Smallville was on a Thursday every 2 weeks for me :) . Anyway SyFy is a cable service.

SGU was bound to get a high viewing figures at the start since it is a spin off of a hit show, then it drops and levels off for the rest of the season.

SyFy possible had very good ratings for the first episode of Caprica, until the audience realized how dull it was. How is Caprica doing?

I stopped watching Caprica. Actually because I found it particularly mellowdrum.

But the point remains, you play it once in 8 days, ratings are going to drop. It bewilders the mind on both hemispheres.

Overheal wrote: »
    But the point remains, you play it once in 8 days, ratings are going to drop. It bewilders the mind on both hemispheres.

Over repeat it and the premiere episode also sees a drop. If you repeat shows everyday of the week for a week, the audience will just watch on what ever day suits them, more than likely your going get same total audience across the week with a few extra repeat viewers, your advertising impact is just as good for that show, but what about the rest of your schedule. At least that is how I would see it.

What other channels are planning to show the series? It could also be a rights issue.

• Advertisement

Mmm. I dunno.

But look, Im peeled to my television at the right time again finally.

those bastards :rolleyes:

Advertisement