Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

• 25-04-2007 7:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KIERAN61

Hi,
    Just just got word yesterday that I have been accepted and am travelling to Templemore this weekend for training.You normally have to visit the local station twice for interview. This I believe is a means by which they can judge your character and are more informal chats really.They just want to be sure of your level of commitment and that you know what you are getting yourself into.Roll on the Weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

Well done Kieran are you staying in Hotel in Thurles by any chance. Good Luck Fred

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KIERAN61

Hi Fred,
    Thanks Not overly sure about accomodation ???.Have yet to be contacted by local station think they have to provide transport to Templemore.Have to be there for 9 bells for uniform fitting.

Hi Kieran, do you not go to somewhere in Santry for Uniform fitting.

No Fred that is only for Dublin based reservists who don't have to be in Templemore until 11am Saturday

Hi guys,
    In response to the query about bringing tracksuit and trainers I think there is a self defence session organised for Saturday afternoon.Well done Fred if you haven't been already medical is next and then Two interviews at local station.I was told by a local inspector that the most common failure at the medical is poor eyesight.When I was there a couple of the guys failed the hearing test. Must be all those nightclubs.I was blessed the doc said I was the fittest person he had seen all day and I am in my 40's so there is hope out there for those who are older.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Kieran. Yes, like me older ! I will be interested to hear about the self defense when you get back.

Thanks Kieran, that's helpful. All the best at the weekend. Let me know how it goes. Fred

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 robbiedublin

Best wishes to all who have been sccepted to date. I am a member of the reserve based in the Dublin area. I am sure you will all have a great time in Templemore.

Good Luck

Robbie

Good question 69sparkie69 I too have had Hep B Jab as I do First Aid at work.Seemingly alot of young girls tend to bite so I'm told so it should be mandatory.As for your other question I dont think a bit of a spare tyre will be a problem .I am very slim myself but one of the guys with me was 59 and he passed and he wasnt a greyhound either so I think you should be ok.Just got word of my lift to Templemore from the barracks so it's all systems go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 69sparkie69

hi kieran.
    a guy of 59...??? fecking hell....well fair play.. and well done to him too.. is he heading down to templemore as well..??? so who`s bringing you down there..?? are ya in the back of a squad car or van..??? there`s a guy from where i am, he`s heading down there today after work.. think he`s bringing his own car..and getting paid mileage.. so have you been fitted up for the uniform yet..or will you pick it up down there..?? another question, will they issue you a warrant card when finished training..?? i`m fecking envious of you lot now.. wish i were going down there myself.. but roll on the end of may..
    sparkie.

• Advertisement

Sparkie,
    Dont know if the 59 yr old guy from Cork is going to be there or not hope so he was a top bloke.As for the lift dont know what I am going to be picked up in.Bet the neighbours will think I am been carted off to jail especially with the weekend bag.As for uniform those from outside the big smoke are getting measured up tomorrow dont know anything about cards???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 wex

Hi all, I have been following the posts, seems that the issue of the Reserve is getting easier to talk about, I posted much earlier on in the thread when everyone was a little shy, but as mentioned, a mate of mine was on the pilot scheme and is attached to a DMR station, she is getting on fine, and is well settled in, in fact, I think she is already up to 200 ish hours. She was issued with id when she was attested same a full time member, and her id is kept in her station, as it is for duty periods only, which makes sence. She has gone through the Hep B jabs, but I asked her if any of the gang with her had already had them, and she said a guy in the lifeboat had, so I think he did not have to get them again. If any of you have any more questions, I can ask her, so let me know.

Wex

hi wex.
    great to know that you have someone on the inside,so to speak..ha ha..thats an interesting one about the id..she only gets it when she is going out on duty..?? wouldn`t the uniform, ect. be more of an identity..??
    That's good news about the hep. B jab. no harm to have it..the hair fails off eventually from the plarm`s of your hands....!!!! ha ha..only messing,not..
    Can you find out from her, has she been approached by anyone from the gra, as i`ve a query about this..example, say the guards have another blue flu day,,where does that leave the reserves, should they turn up for duty..?? do get my drift..??
    So..how she getting on with it, where does she patrol..??
    sparkie.

I will ask about the GRA thing, but I would assume as time rolls on and more reserves pass out, some sort of forum would have to be set up to discuss any problems. She is mostly on beats in the city, but has also had station duty and static post duty. I would assume that if there were no Guards to patrol with, she would be on station duty.

Does one get the Hep. B. Jab at the Medical.

freddiew wrote:
    Does one get the Hep. B. Jab at the Medical.

No the Hep jabs only start when you have passed medical and have started training

hi Guys,
    Had a fab time in Templemore. I was with a great bunch of people.Fred all you have to be is moderately fit because you will have a lot of getting up and down to do.They suggested if you walk say 2 miles a day it would help. Doing a few sit ups would also help as you feel it in your stomach muscles next day. All in all very enjoyable experience.As for the eye test I dont know how strigent it is as I have perfect vision but they do spend some time on it at the medical.There were a few in Templemore who wore glasses so I dont know how good or bad you have to be.But fingers crossed for all of ye.

Kieran, glad things went well. Can you give us all a list of action, through the day etc and where you stayed what time was it over etc Thanks Fred

Hi Fred,
    It's an induction day really just giving you a little flavour of everything.You will get lectures on Human rights the History of the Gardai etc with some dicussion and role play thrown in and self defence of course.You will also get to sign the official secrets act.When you get to Templemore you will be well briefed on the days programmes. As regards finishing up usally 5.30ish and you will get to stay in an hotel in Thurles.

KIERAN61 wrote:
    Hi Fred,
    It's an induction day really just giving you a little flavour of everything.You will get lectures on Human rights the History of the Gardai etc with some dicussion and role play thrown in and self defence of course.You will also get to sign the official secrets act.When you get to Templemore you will be well briefed on the days programmes. As regards finishing up usally 5.30ish and you will get to stay in an hotel in Thurles.
    Kieran, I would welcome a chat on the phone if that's possible. How do I give you my number without everyone getting it? Fred

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 celticlegend03

Hi guys, I was just wondering what type of a time committment you have to give. I know that it is 16 hours a month. The reason I ask is that there is no way I would be able to get time off my 9-5 to do it. I would only be able to do nights or wknds. Is this a problem?

Hi guys, I was just wondering what type of a time committment you have to give. I know that it is 16 hours a month. The reason I ask is that there is no way I would be able to get time off my 9-5 to do it. I would only be able to do nights or wknds. Is this a problem?

There is presently no limit on the max hours you can do, and you can work any of the existing shifts in which station you gat attached to, so nights and weekends not a problem.

There is presently no limit on the max hours you can do, and you can work any of the existing shifts in which ever station you get attached to, so nights and weekends not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wonka

Was told the next weekend training is June 9/10. Missed the last one as i was away on holidays. Been a long process for me as i submitted the application when it first came out. The 'new' government could scrap the whole idea by the time i get stationed!

Ah for feck sake, Wonka, dont be like that,"scraping the whole idea",gee, just when its comes around for my turn and hopefully yours..missed the last intake myself,away on hols too..up for the medical on Friday 1 of June..anyone else for the medicals around that date..??.. hopefully i`ll get it..in the gym now for over a month, and still lost frig all weight..hopefully i`ll make..if not..well feck it..!!! i`ll be well pissed...!!! nice to see and hear from other reserve`s on this sight..perhaps they can give us more of an in sight into the medicals, templemore , the lectures and books that are giving to you for study, training at stn. etc.etc...what they have been involved in whilst on duty,traffic or just foot patrols.. so GR`s over to you..
    sparkie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭geo1212

Ah for feck sake, Wonka, dont be like that,"scraping the whole idea",gee, just when its comes around for my turn and hopefully yours..missed the last intake myself,away on hols too..up for the medical on Friday 1 of June..anyone else for the medicals around that date..??.. hopefully i`ll get it..in the gym now for over a month, and still lost frig all weight..hopefully i`ll make..if not..well feck it..!!! i`ll be well pissed...!!! nice to see and hear from other reserve`s on this sight..perhaps they can give us more of an in sight into the medicals, templemore , the lectures and books that are giving to you for study, training at stn. etc.etc...what they have been involved in whilst on duty,traffic or just foot patrols.. so GR`s over to you..
    sparkie.

Well. I would doubt the whole idea will get scrapped at this stage, as it is part of the Garda Siochana Act 2005, and passed as law, it may well get re-organised as it progresess, same as the UK. As regards, duties, you basically will carry out duties same as regular Guards,to a certain extent, but it is a steep learning curve, and you will spend at least the first few months, just getting used to being on patrol in uniform, it is pretty daunting, as the public do not see the difference with shoulder markings. Depending on where you are stationed you will take your share of patrol duties, station duty, although depending on the size of the district, you may spend time with a mobile patrol. As regards, study, training etc, its probably best to take it as it comes, as any info from us may cloud your idea of what you nedd to do.
    Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭iandromiskin

and he has said since McDowell lost his seat..........with the new minister of justice.

Hi Sarkie and all, I was just talking to a Garda, I have to have my chat with him tomorrow, but he said some interesting things. First of all he said that he doesn't know what will happen to the reserves now the election is over and that the Minister for Justice will change, but I can't imagine anything drastic happening myself ? He also thought that the formation of the reserves was 'ill conceived' from the point of view that he couldn't understand why the reserves are not paid ! I don't think he had any fundamental objections to the reserves themselves or their formation or operation, just that he couldn't understand why they wern't paid in some form or another as he thought it would increase their professionalism.

Another thing he mentioned was that the drop off from the reserves is high, that a number of reserves in Dublin have left after a couple of months because of the work load. I know there are a few Dublin reservists here on this thread, so maybe you can comment on this one ?????

Anyway, basically he thought that the reserves should be a paid force, that the Garda don't really know what will happen to it now and that a number of reservists in tje Dublin area form the first few rounds have droped off due to work load pressure.

As I say, if there are any reservists here maybe you could comment on what he said and maybe say something about your perceptions of the reserve to date and what your work load is ????

Dare I say it but I was speaking to the Asst. Garda Commissioner at weekend in Wexford and he told me that the change of Minister of Justice has no bearing on the recruitment of Reserves as the GR's have been written into the Constitution (Law) and nothing will change. He said he has excellent reports coming back on the GR's so far.

freddiew wrote:
    change of Minister of Justice has no bearing on the recruitment of Reserves as the GR's have been written into the Constitution

Yep, thats what I was thinking !!! I remember some talk of letting local Districts govern recruit numbers as a way of streamlining recruitment, but that was all I heard. As I said, I can't see of any way the Reserve can or could possibly change now. Who knows, maybe in the future the government may even pay the reserve something, or is that just wishfull thinking.

Presumably so there has been no change in the current Reserve numbers through out the country then, especially Dublin ??

• Advertisement

Hi Sarkie and all

Really sorry :eek: That looks sooo bad. Clearly I ment to say Sparkie, and not that, which looks a bit like I was taking the preverabial. Sorry about that all, especially Sparkie, just forgot to type the P, sorry Sparkie .... :(

Advertisement