Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands most likely Olympic 2012 Medals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FitzjamesHorse

With Jessie Barr confirmed in the Relay Squad, there should be no problem about selecting her for 400m Hurdles. Might as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

Anyone know which athletes yet to get the a standard have events this week or are running in the nationals at the weekend???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

K_1 wrote: »
    Anyone know which athletes yet to get the a standard have events this week or are running in the nationals at the weekend???

Any of those in with a shout of upgrading to the A-standard will be attempting to get the standard at a meet in Europe somewhere as that would be their best chance of getting into a good quality race to push for a qualifying time.

Steven Colvert (200m) and Thomas Barr (400m Hurdles) are running in Liege, Belgium on Wednesday. I don't fancy Barr to make the time on this occasion but we should see plenty of him in the coming years and time is very much on his side. Colvert needs to shave just 0.02secs off his season's best to get the Olympic A-time. He needs to do it however as he can't rely on a B-time getting him to London as Paul Hession already has the A-standard in that event. Being realistic Colvert is the best chance for an Irish athlete getting an A-time before the deadline, the others will have to sweat it out on B-standards. Hopefully common sense prevails too in the case of Jessie Barr and they let her run the 400m Hurdles in London as she is qualified for the relay anyway. Brian Gregan too is in great shape but is probably a little drained from the Euro Champs (where he came in 6th). He really should be sent as you feel his season hasn't even got into full swing yet and he is ripping up his P.B. times. I think he could go low 45s by the end of the year which is fairly impressive in the 400m (with sub 45 seconds being major finals territory).
    Fingers crossed for Steven and all those chasing the standards over the course of the week.

Ginny Elliott is due to name the Irish eventing team tomorrow morning.... 5 combinations will make up the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

http://www.olympicsport.ie/news/5588-team-ireland-london-2012-qualifiers.html

Team announced. Cyclists down as TBC as Brammeier's appeal still going

3 day eventers listed as;
    Aoife Clarke
    Mark Kyle
    Joseph Murphy
    Michael Ryan
    Camilla Spiers
    Capt. Geoff Curran – 1st Reserve
    Sam Watson – 2nd Reserve

• Advertisement

The OCI have provided biographies of the Irish Olympic team members:

http://www.olympicsport.ie/news/5591-olympic-team-bios.html

http://www.aiba.org/default.aspx?pId=4248#

Latest boxing rankings out. Paddy Barnes loses a ton of points and out of the seeds.

Nevin will be seeded 3. Darren O'Neill will be seeded 6

Thats if everything we hear about 6 seeds based on world rankings is true. Would mean a fight less for them (and 2 wins from a medal)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 romanm

Hi All,

What are peoples opinions on where Ireland is most likely to win a medal at the 2012 Olympics? My first thoughts would be boxing. I am also aware of an Irish female swimmer and a rowing team. Does anyone have an inkling for any other event?

All opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks In Advance for all responses.
    The most likely medal will be potato medal:D

Dodge wrote: »
    http://www.aiba.org/default.aspx?pId=4248#

Latest boxing rankings out. Paddy Barnes loses a ton of points and out of the seeds.

Nevin will be seeded 3. Darren O'Neill will be seeded 6

Thats if everything we hear about 6 seeds based on world rankings is true. Would mean a fight less for them (and 2 wins from a medal)

The Olympic boxing draw process was never ideal in that it could be grossly unfair that the 2 best fighters could meet in the opening round of competition.
    Although the idea behind seeding the best fighters so that they are separated is a step in the right direction it's a pity the rankings don't in any way reflect true form...I concede though that in boxing there's no way they can get the rankings perfect, as is the case with most sports, but I hope they can work on it more before Rio 2016. It's not surprising though that Barnes has slipped back in the rankings as he's had a bad couple of years by his standards. Billy Walsh though thinks he's over his problems and has a good chance of success in London. Here's hoping he's right because at his best, Paddy Barnes is a match for anyone.

Here is the latest on Olympic qualifiers by county. 62 of the 65 team members are accounted for here with the only outstanding places being the men's road race cycling team in which there is an appeal ongoing.
    Also Joanna Mills has chosen to appeal the decision not to select her for the women's 4x400m relay team so if there are any changes to come then I will update the table to reflect those changes.

County|Number of athletes qualified|Details|
    Dublin|12|Linda Byrne, Ava Hutchinson, Deirdre Ryan, Claire Bergin, Michelle Carey, Annalise Murphy, Barry Murphy, David Burrows, Ger Owens, Scott Flanigan, Scott Evans, Mark Kyle
    Cork|6|Derval O'Rourke, Marion Heffernan, Robert Heffernan, Ciaran O'Lionaird, Peter O'Leary, Billy Twomey
    Antrim|5|Ryan Seaton, Michael Conlan, Paddy Barnes, Lisa Kearney, Hannah Craig
    Down|5|Matt McGovern, Martyn Irvine, James Espey, Sycerika McMahon, Melanie Nocher
    Kildare|5|Mark Kenneally, Eoin Rheinisch, Anna Merveldt, Aoife Clark, Camilla Speirs
    Donegal|3|Brendan Boyce, Chloe Magee, Caitriona Jennings
    Kilkenny|3|Darren O'Neill, Joanne Cuddihy, Catriona Cuddihy
    Wicklow|3|Fionnuala Britton, Stephanie Reilly, Katie Taylor
    Galway|2|Olive Loughnane, Paul Hession
    Leitrim|2|Colin Griffin, Laura Reynolds
    Westmeath|2|John Joe Nevin, Joseph Murphy
    Wexford|2|Grainne Murphy, Adam Nolan
    Derry|1|Aileen Morrison
    Fermanagh|1|Gavin Noble
    Limerick|1|Michael Ryan
    Longford|1|Derek Burnett
    Meath|1|Natalya Coyle
    Tipperary|1|Denis Lynch
    Waterford|1|Jessie Barr
    Other/Abroad|5|Alistair Cragg (South Africa), Kieran Behan (England), Andrzej Jezierski (Poland), Tori Pena (U.S.A.), Sanita Puspure (Latvia)

Additional Info:
    • There are 65 members on the Irish Olympic team.
    • The team is made up of 35 men and 30 women.
    • Qualifiers by province: Leinster (29), Ulster (15), Munster (9), Connacht (4).
    • 12 qualifiers were born in Northern Ireland (7 men and 5 women).
    • Kieran Behan (gymnastics qualifier) although born in London, England has Irish parents: mother is from Monaghan and father from Dublin.
    • Tori Pena was born in California but competes for Finn Valley A.C. in Donegal and her grandmother was born in Derry.
    • Caitriona Jennings hails from Letterkenny but runs for Rathfarnam A.C. in Dublin.
    • Olive Loughnane was born in Cork and indeed currently lives in Cork so she has strong connections to that county. Nevertheless she grew up in Galway and is a product of Carrabane A.C. in Loughrea, Galway so I think in this case it may be fairer to include her in that county's total.
    • Mark Kenneally is a member of Clonliffe Harriers in North Dublin.
    • Andrzej Jezierski has been living in Ballincollig, Co.Cork for a number of years now with his family.
    • Denis Lynch has been living in Germany for the past 15 years.
    • Joseph Murphy is now based in Co.Down.
    • Michael Ryan is now based in Co.Cork.
    • Lisa Kearney will be Ireland's first ever female judoka to take part in the Olympic Games.
    • Perhaps unsurprisingly, Murphy is the most common surname, with 4 Murphys on the team.
    • Anna Merveldt who will compete in dressage is the oldest member of the Irish Olympic team at 49 years of age. Trap shooter Derek Burnett is the oldest male on the team at 41 years of age.
    • The youngest team member is Sycerika McMahon who is just 17! 470 sailor Scott Flanigan is the youngest male on the team at just 19 years of age.
    • The average age of our women when the Olympics get underway is 27.8yrs for women and 29.8yrs for the men. Overall the average is 28.8yrs for our Olympians.
    • 38 of the qualifiers will be first-time Olympians in London.
    • 16 qualifiers are returning for a second time 13 of whom have previously competed in Beijing in 2008; Anna Merveldt competed previously way back in Barcelona 1992; Mark Kyle competed in Athens 2004; Claire Bergin was part of the bobsleigh team at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympic Games.
    • 4 qualifiers (Derval O'Rourke, Alistair Cragg, Eoin Rheinisch and Ger Owens) will be appearing in their 3rd consecutive Olympic Games.
    • A total of 4 Olympic veterans will be returning to the Olympic stage to make a 4th appearance, namely Robert Heffernan, Olive Loughnane and Derek Burnett who will travel to their 4th consecutive Olympics and David Burrows, who made his Olympic debut way back in Atlanta in 1996 (missed out on Beijing).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Dodge wrote: »
    http://www.olympicsport.ie/news/5588-team-ireland-london-2012-qualifiers.html
    This names all the qualifiers, but doesn't list all the events in which they will take part. For instance, I understand that Fionnuala Britton is to run the 5000m as well as the 10000m. What's the deadline for entering a qualified competitor for extra events?

What's the story about Denis Lynch's horse?

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/olympics-snub-has-left-mills-stunned-16180955.html
    Read this from the Belfast Telegraph. It appears that Joanna Mills and just about everybody in Northern Ireland is livid. Are they rightly annoyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FitzjamesHorse

I live in the North of Ireland and I cant say that I am livid.
    Presumably when the relay team goes to the starting block for the heat of the 4x400 relay, it will be the best four athletes and at best Ms Mills and Ms C Cuddihy are reserves for that team.
    It is unlikely either will get a run.
    And I think Joanne is selected for the World Juniors where she will get a run.
    It would be nice to see some northern athletes make the Track and Field team and possibly Jason Smyth and Ciara Mageean are borderline selections.
    All selections especially for a relay are always going to be controversial.
    Irish Athletics is prone to factionalism and gossip.......and frankly if more club athletes put more effort into running, jumping and throwing as they do into complaining on their blogs about AAI, then Id respect them more.

Joanna Mills has replaced Catriona Cuddihy on the relay team after a successful appeal....correct decision in my view but it never should have come to this. The AAI made a huge blunder by putting Catriona on the team ahead of Joanna, there was absolutely no grounds they could argue for a legitimate reason behind that decision. Mills is much younger, much faster personal best, faster season's best, proven at major championships at underage level and has relay experience.
    What the AAI should do now is that instead of breaking the heart of Catriona Cuddihy by now telling her she's off the team, they should include both girls and drop Jessie Barr from the squad of 6. This sounds drastic but it's not. Barr should instead be sent to London in the 400m hurdles with her B-standard for that event and in doing so she can still compete in the relay team without being named in the squad of 6.
    The AAI are making bad judgements now on a regular basis that are clear to even casual followers of athletics let alone to the knowledgeable fan or the athletes themselves. They need to sort out their act, it's not fair on the athletes and after all they are the priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

Dan man wrote: »
    Joanna Mills has replaced Catriona Cuddihy on the relay team after a successful appeal....correct decision in my view but it never should have come to this. The AAI made a huge blunder by putting Catriona on the team ahead of Joanna, there was absolutely no grounds they could argue for a legitimate reason behind that decision. Mills is much younger, much faster personal best, faster season's best, proven at major championships at underage level and has relay experience.
    What the AAI should do now is that instead of breaking the heart of Catriona Cuddihy by now telling her she's off the team, they should include both girls and drop Jessie Barr from the squad of 6. This sounds drastic but it's not. Barr should instead be sent to London in the 400m hurdles with her B-standard for that event and in doing so she can still compete in the relay team without being named in the squad of 6.
    The AAI are making bad judgements now on a regular basis that are clear to even casual followers of athletics let alone to the knowledgeable fan or the athletes themselves. They need to sort out their act, it's not fair on the athletes and after all they are the priority.

As a "casual follower", it beggars belief that they did what they did. Do we know, for sure, what was their reasoning behind this initial incompetence apart from their apparent e-mail?? Am delighted Joanna Mills appealed. Well, her team anyway. Terrible to put her/them through this.

Re Catriona Cuddihy - A profuse apology won't cut much weight even if she knew the place should not have gone to her in the first instance, but apart from sentiment here, there seems no need to include Cuddihy, there's already the 6 best qualified and coaching needs to concentrate on them. I get what you're saying, but surely this is just more messin around? Experience for Cuddihy? Yes! Necessary for the women's relay. No!

Dan's solution seems fair and sensible, preferably with the agreement of all parties. It would, one would hope, be academic regarding Ireland's prospects, since it affects only the reserves' bench.
    C. Cuddihy's present situation bears similarities to being acquitted of a crime, and then being told: " Sorry, we made a mistake, you're convicted."
    The result of the ultimately disappointed party in this matter going to the High Court is anybody's guess.
    I'm not familiar with the factionalism etc. referred to by Fitz, but if I devoted all my waking hours to qualifying for London, and failed, I would feel deflated. If that failure resulted solely from an administrative error I would be very angry indeed.

Dan's solution seems fair and sensible, preferably with the agreement of all parties. It's impact on Ireland's prospects would, one would hope, be academic, since it would affect only the reserves' bench.
    C. Cuddihy's present situation bears similarities to being acquitted of a crime, and then being told, " sorry, we made a mistake, on second thoughts you are convicted."
    The result of the ultimately disappointed party in this matter going to the High Court is anybody's guess.
    I'm not familiar with the factionalism etc. referred to by Fitz, but if I devoted all my waking hours to qualifying for London, and failed, I would feel very deflated. If that failure resulted solely from an administrative error I would be very angry indeed.
    This is as much about young athletes' lives as it is about the honour and glory of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭knockcon

Chloe Magee has shown good form in the build-up to the Olympics Reaching the final at an event in russia. Not many ov the worlds top ranked women are competing but a good confidence booster nonetheless, especially so close to London. Good luck to her in the final.

Catriona Cuddihy appealing

• Advertisement

I have created a virtual Olympic medals table based on medals won at the most recent World Championships in each sport. I've posted it over on the Olympic Countdown Thread, you can view it here....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79636200&postcount=87

Remember, it isn't a prediction based table but as I said based on recent World Championship medals.

Showjumper Denis Lynch out of the Olympic team! He'll be replaced by another Irish combination:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/equestrian/2012/0709/328467-lynch-out-of-olympic-team/

Cian O'Connor has been chosen as replacement for Denis Lynch for Olympic showjumping competition. He will ride Blue Loyd in London.

Dan man wrote: »
    Cian O'Connor has been chosen as replacement for Denis Lynch for Olympic showjumping competition. He will ride Blue Loyd in London.

Dan, when you get a chance, will you pass on the list of banned substances to Horse Sport Ireland please for dissemination?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Am I the only one who thinks its a disgrace that he is back in Irish team after the disgrace in 2004?

Dan, when you get a chance, will you pass on the list of banned substances to Horse Sport Ireland please for dissemination?

I will do, thanks :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Am I the only one who thinks its a disgrace that he is back in Irish team after the disgrace in 2004?

It's a complete joke and HSI are giving the two fingers to the IOC with this brazen selection...

It's a complete joke and HSI are giving the two fingers to the IOC with this brazen selection...

Ah the IOC don't care. There's tons of ex-dopers in loads of sports. O'Connor (despite having his medal revoked) isn't even one of the more prominent ones.

Rules are there. As long as he's clean now and served his ban, they have to select the best available (see all the court cases from ex-dopers)

What should happen is life bans so situation like this don't arise

• Advertisement

[Quote=Dodge;

What should happen is life bans
    I agree entirely. Far too much of sport is about pusillanimous legislators, and how the show must go on etc.. And money so often rules. In rugby if you stamp on a guy's head you'll probably get away with a 6 months' ban. In physical contact sport it should be enough to put your life on the line through the risk of serious accidental personal injury besides having to put up with thuggery as well. But that's another issue. It's just another example of administrative cynicism analogous to the drugs issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement